Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 02/01 - 02/07 PALMEIRAS IS THE LIBERTADORES DA AMERICA CHAMPION

KawadaSmile

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I saw some opinions on wrestlers being old, and while there are some nice arguments as to why it really shouldn't matter that much, what caught my attention was that someone said Raven is older than Undertaker and Paul Heyman.

Come on, one year older is not older once you get past 18 years old. He was born in 64, they are both from 65. Sounds pretty logical to me, both Levy & Callaway are the product of the late 80's. 

5 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Yeah, but at the same time Raven looks younger than both, specially Taker.

Considering the dude is, much like the character, kinda grungy, it's even more interesting to me :lol: 

Have you seen Raven lately ?  :lol: Hey, he seems at a pretty good place in his life, considering what he put in his body for years, more power to him.

It's funny because I remember an interview where Raven was saying he did not even listened to Nirvana and stuff, he was an old Neil Young and classic rock fan rather than the 90's stuff (which makes sense, he was almost already 30 years old when grunge was big)

Heyman is one of those guys who looked 50 when he was 30.

About the Bliss stuff, remember when the WWE stans were saying how AEW was killing the business when Matt Hardy was doing his transformation bits during Stadium Stampede, which was a complete cinematic and goofy match to begin with ? I wonder what the same people say now. What makes this absolutely idiotic is that it's during a legit in-ring match context and that the announcers are selling it without even a hint of wink-wink nudge-nudge like they always do in AEW when they pull that kind of stuff (that is when they use some meta aspects of BTE). But hey, I actually find the idea quite funny, it's just that the booking and execution (not by Bliss, who's actually good at pulling this off like say, Angelina Love was good at doing the idiotic AngelinaTaker gimmick during the early Winter angle in TNA) is dumb as fuck. 

Logically, there's no reason for someone to be for the Matt Hardy stuff during Stadium Stampede but against the current Alexa Bliss stuff, considering it's the same supernatural thing. But when company loyalty supercedes simple logic, you get that.

Personally, I dig both stuff (I'm fully aware I'm the only one on this board who does for Alexa Bliss and I completely own that - I like stuff outside the box); the only difference being that while AEW played it more tongue-in-cheek with Matt Hardy, WWE has taken the more serious approach and I definitely understand how it will turn some people away and have them roll their eyes. Right now, Alexa Bliss is doing the best work of her career in terms of character work and given that she isn't known for her wrestling skills like the 4 Horsewomen or Asuka are, that's something she has going for her.

Speaking of Asuka, I need to command her recently on her selling. Man, that's been top notch on her part recently.

12 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Logically, there's no reason for someone to be for the Matt Hardy stuff during Stadium Stampede but against the current Alexa Bliss stuff, considering it's the same supernatural thing. But when company loyalty supercedes simple logic, you get that.

I doubt any AEW fans is making fun of the Alexa Bliss stuff because it's "supernatural" stuff. I sure ain't. Hell, when Meltz said the other day that it was "Lucha Underground bad", that's when it actually peaked my interest because I loved that shit there. And like I said, I actually kinda like the idea. However, context and execution matters. Announcers talking in hush tones while Alexa Bliss is doing transformation tricks while a proper basic pro-wrestling match is going on is fucking pathetic. The Matt Hardy stuff was totally tongue-in-cheek and meta and it's not just a detail, it changes everything.

12 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Right now, Alexa Bliss is doing the best work of her career in terms of character work

I wouldn't go that far, her delivery of those (legit awful) scripted promos is pretty fucking bad. She was soooo good a few years back as the petite bitch heel rolling over the entire roster (I sense this is gonna turn into another "Hey, this sucked back then don't romanticize" shit :lol:). But like I said I do like what she does with this stupid-ass stuff in term of body language and in-ring stuff. Really now, people need to watch Angelina Love being drugged into a zombi by Winter in TNA in 2011 !

Too bad Bliss is probably WWE 4 Life, because she's someone I'd like to see how she would do away from the machine.

Bliss is good and crazy talented, and was carrying many of those Fiend segments. However, one can't portray a 15 year old's deviantart Dragon Ball Z OC character credibly, methinks. Shit's just too wack.

Like, I can buy her as this insane cult member who laughs after being hit - and it's with that character that she shines and I believe that's what bubba @SirEdger alluded to, but having a super saiyan transformation? Shit. Only Liger managed to pull such a mid-match character change off, and there's a good reason it happened very rarely.

The more people talk about it and projecting stuff into it (Belle Delphine, DBZ Deviantart character, super saiyan transformation), the more I think it could have been totally super awesome in LU and would be super awesome in IMPACT still.

BTW, speaking about looking old, Randy Orton is only 40. Sure, his body looks great, but damn, he doesn't look a day under 45.

And while I dig this character right now, I'm still concerned about how they're gonna book it once they fully return to live crowds. You can only do so much with pre-tapes and while they're still sort of in the introduction aspect of her multiple personnalities, there'll be a time when they'll need to space out those to avoid becoming stale. That's what I was hoping to see happen first when Bray & Alexa got paired together; to see a rotation (Bray 1 week, Alexa 1 week, both together 1 week, etc.) and ensure to keep the characters as fresh as possible.

I certainly understand @KawadaSmile viewpoint but I do believe that this character is aimed at a specific audience that is into horror stuff and everything and it is definitely polarizing.