Pro Wrestling Only

Jericho book

I'm about a hundred pages in and so far what really stands out is how unique Jericho was as a guy trying to work a fresh style, in an enviornment that wwas extremely backwoods (Western Canada), in an industry that was in the middle of totally restruturing itself as a business run by monolothic entities, instead of local bosses. So far it reads very similar to a Foley book, though I haven't even gotten to the first Japan tour yet.

Worth noting that Benoit is the first wrestler thanked in the book, and it is dedicated to Eddy Guerrero

I want to read this, although it's kind of lame that it ends with him coming to WWE. I'm sure the stories of the WWE backstage environment would be fun to read, especially his encounters with HHH.

Too bad that with him probably coming back to WWE, that story won't be heard for a while, or if his next book is written while he is under contract with WWE, he's more likely to hold back with the interesting stuff.

Meltzer has said those stories came from HHH's friends, actually. He confided in those close to him supposedly that he was going to make sure Jericho didn't get over coming in, presumably because he didn't see a place for two heels with long blonde hair at the top of the card.

I want to read this, although it's kind of lame that it ends with him coming to WWE. I'm sure the stories of the WWE backstage environment would be fun to read, especially his encounters with HHH.

Too bad that with him probably coming back to WWE, that story won't be heard for a while, or if his next book is written while he is under contract with WWE, he's more likely to hold back with the interesting stuff.

He did do that interview with Powerslam Magazine a year or so ago, when he was well into his current hiatus, and did mention that the original plan heading into WrestleMania X8 was for Stephanie to run around on HHH and hook up with Jericho (rather than the lame story they wound up with). Jericho outright said that HHH vetoed it.

Other than that, I can't think of any case where he's publically spoke of his encounters with HHH.

the original plan heading into WrestleMania X8 was for Stephanie to run around on HHH and hook up with Jericho (rather than the lame story they wound up with). Jericho outright said that HHH vetoed it.

Can't say I blame him, seeing how these things usually work out in wrestling.

I can't really blame stars like Jericho for not seriously considering the TNA option when their booking is so counterproductive, incompetent and indulgent. Being held down by Triple H in a hugely successful company is better than being dragged down by Jeff Jarrett in a hugely unsuccessful company.

TNA can afford anything it wants, as long as Panda signs off on it. It's whatever Dixie can convince her daddy to spend. (That's an oversimplification, but it's basically what it boils down to.) Which makes their claims of not being able to afford stuff absolutely laughable. They just haven't begged hard enough to get a bigger allowance.

• 1 month later...

According to someone who saw the galleys pre-Benoit murders, there were a bunch of stories about Benoit that were terribly creepy in hindsight. One of them was Benoit seeing a Japanese referee crying for some reason on a bench in the locker room, cackling, and remarking "What a gay bitch!"

Guest The Unholy Dragon

I vaguely recall hearing that Angle's current contract was bigger than his old WWE one. But even if that's true, he's the only one, TNA's main draw to stars is its ridiculously light schedule.

I remember hearing that Angle was blatantly lying about that, and in all actuality, got paid the same as anyone else in the company for year 1.

I think this is more along the lines of "Kurt Angle is crazy and likes to say things to put himself and whatever company he's with at the time over."

I still love how he commented that he saw Trish Stratus naked, but "couldn't go into the details." I mean, whether or not he did, that's obviously a sad attempt to grab attention.

Kurt was on local radio here last week spewing all kinds of bullshit about how he left WWE and how every wrestler in TNA loves being in the company.

My favorite was him saying that Spike dumped WWE so they could pick up TNA because they saw that WWE was going down and TNA skyrocketing.

This book is incredible. I have decided I do think this is better than the Foley or Dynamite books. I don't know where the idea came from that this story is overly flowery or somehow holds back and doesn't dish dirt, considering how honest he is about his own drug use, his groupies, the drug use of those around him, and his honest feelings on EVERYONE. I don't think there's anyone in the book that he ONLY says good things about, including Flair, Hogan, Hall, Nash, Bischoff, Vampiro, Konnan, Benoit, Guerrero, etc.

His stories of being offered a joint in front of Rey Misterio Jr. the first time he met him, and being all indignant because he thought they were doing drugs in front of some kid, getting a fan video from some girl in SMW with everyone in her family repeating "Chris Jericho is my favorite wrestler" over and over while doing the Electric Slide and farting, going to the Hart House for the first time and standing at the door ringing the doorbell forever while Stu and Helen sat and stared at him from the foyer, doing GHB for the first time at the Super J Cup in '95, getting yelled at by Jim Cornette for not sleeping with all the girls in the territory, everyone getting loaded before their matches at the Worldwide tapings in WCW pretty regularly, and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. It doesn't really come across as a book where Jericho has axes to grind at all, but he's definitely very honest about his true thoughts on everyone.

• 2 months later...

I leafed through this at the library the other day and while I was honestly too embarrassed to check a wrestling book out it did seem pretty terrific. I especially liked the pages he spent praising Negro Casas as the king, which read like message board postings by people trying to explain the man's greatness to people who don't watch lucha.

Loss, have you read Bret Hart's book?

Did Jericho praise himself a lot, just like in every other wrestling book written by a pro wrestler? That's always been a turn off. That's the main criticism I have against professional wrestlers and their books.