Pro Wrestling Only

Unboxing the 80s

Loss

Early 80s heel champ Ric Flair really was the master of saying things that seem nice or polite enough, but delivering them in such a condescending way.

Confronting Tommy Rich in GCW: "Relax, Gordon Solie. I'm not here to cause trouble. We're grown men, we're athletes, and we have a difference of opinion. So let's talk."

And everyone knows the famous Memphis angle, where he keeps delivering backhanded compliments to the city of Memphis -- constant insults cloaked in insincere compliments.

I had some other thoughts about Flair's portrayal that sort of bleed outside of the Pro Wrestling Only mission, so I'll just link to the thread for those who are interested in the rest of it. Reply to me there if you like.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

- I still like Georgia Championship Wrestling in '83, but it doesn't feel as much the place to be as it did a couple of years earlier. They are just overloaded with heels but have a rotating cast of babyfaces, which is strange. Also, Buzz Sawyer is incredible. Maybe my favorite wrestler of the decade to this point. Even the squashes are must-see.

- Anyone who thinks 1995 was the worst year for WWE has not watched much of their 1983 stuff. (By the way, Vince had much bigger priorities and things on his mind in 1983 than being a great booker, so I don't fault him. He was playing the long game.)

I love watching Wayne Ferris as a multi-promotional arc instead of out of nowhere WWF creation.

Bleached blond in early 80s. He dies the hair jet black in 1982, is "Honky Tonk Man" Wayne Ferris by the end of 1983, is Honky Tonk Wayne by 1985 in Stampede, and is full-on Honky Tonk Man by late '86. Guy who went through full-on Elvis transformation.

If you look at it that way, solid Memphis heel over time starts believing he's Elvis is an awesome story that played out spanning years, countries and territories.

Copying and pasting a Twitter thread:

Having gone through pretty much all the footage out there now for 1980-1983, I've come to the conclusion that 1983 is really the best place to start if anyone wants a chronological understanding of modern wrestling. Here's why.

You could theoretically start with 1984, but what you lose some of in that sense is a few things. #1, you see Vince McMahon moving and shaking, but you don't really see the strength of the system he's trying to bend to his will.

1983 was a banner year for many territories. There were major stars and big gates. I wouldn't say that every territory had their greatest year, but even the ones who were weaker than in previous years had at least one truly great moment.

Also, if you start with 1984, you don't see that Vince really built an empire around (mostly) established stars.

I can see how for those who grew up on 80s WWF, it might be jarring to look at other territories and see later WWF stars/mainstays like Duggan or Piper presented on (somewhat) equal footing w/people like Brad Armstrong, the MX, or others that some fans may think of as "regional".

Anyway, I think Starrcade '83 was the precise moment wrestling stopped being what it was and started being what it is. But events throughout '83 shaped what Starrcade became.

1980-1982 is really a continuation of the 70s in approach and philosophy, even if new stars like the Freebirds, Tommy Rich, Barry Windham, Von Erichs, etc were emerging in various places.

If you want a global analogy, the "War of '84" that continued through Turner buying WCW in '88 was WWI and the Monday Night Wars were WWII. Since then, we've generally been in postwar landscape.

-- Fun fact: Roddy Piper's last JCP appearance aired on the same weekend as his first WWF appearance on Championship Wrestling (at ringside with David Schultz).

-- Rude's Memphis debut! He enters the studio to "Everybody Wants You".

Lance: "That's the Fabs' song!"
Hart: "You idiot! That's Billy Squier's song!"

Proceeds to make fun of Lance and intentionally pretends that point he was making was that Fabs were the ones singing.

-- Imagine a world where everyone paid such attention to detail and clearly loved their craft as much as ring announcer Joe McHugh.

The Wendi Richter timeline in 1984 is still crazy. She's on WWF TV in May, but doing her cowgirl gimmick and just in an attraction match. Does a major angle as a heel at the Superdome in June for Mid South. Then gets glam rock makeover & huge push with MTV special in July.

Two acts working everywhere in the summer of '84 that seem desperate for something to click somewhere: JYD and the Freebirds.

The Freebirds-Von Erichs feud was getting old and JYD at a minimum needed a break from Mid South. So they show up here and there on pretty much everyone's TV.

-- Watching Jim Neidhart and Krusher Kruschev cut the One Man Gang's hair! Didn't realize there was an angle that resulted in OMG's changed look. (Also had never seen much of him as a babyface, but he's pretty good!)

-- So Junji Hirata was really good for a long period of time. I think it's hard sometimes to make those connections with people who spend a lot of time working in masks, but I guess at least the 1984-1996 period, he was on top of his game and one of the most fun guys in NJPW, right? (This observation was prompted by me absolutely loving the Strong Machines tag team and their crazy manager.)