Unboxing the 80s

Loss

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've watched all the early Honky stuff and I'm still not convinced it wasn't planned from the start that he'd be a heel and everything leading up to the vote and his official turn wasn't just part of the storyline.

But if everyone involved claims otherwise, I guess it's just amazing luck.

He was absolutely supposed to be a babyface. They had other babyfaces, including JYD, trying to give him the seal of approval. Heenan also makes fun of him on commentary.

according to Honky it was Vince seeing the merch revenue in foam Elvis wigs, jumpsuits, etc. that made  him see the character as a babyface. People loved Elvis so they would love Honky

27 minutes ago, Strummer said:

He was absolutely supposed to be a babyface. They had other babyfaces, including JYD, trying to give him the seal of approval. Heenan also makes fun of him on commentary.

according to Honky it was Vince seeing the merch revenue in foam Elvis wigs, jumpsuits, etc. that made  him see the character as a babyface. People loved Elvis so they would love Honky

I know it should be taken with a grain of salt coming from Honky, but stuff like that makes me wonder if Vince actually knows anything about wrestling. How could anyone see that character and not think "easily hateable heel" immediately?

No subtlety. Lots of ongoing moralizing and exaggeration. At every step of everything, you're told as a viewer what to think of everything you're seeing. A constantly screaming announcer. Mid South reflects Watts' world view every bit as much as WWE reflect Vince's world view.

There were several stretches during the first six months of the pandemic last year where I was having insomnia spells and found a couple Youtube channels with a ton of All-American Wrestling and syndicated WWF TV from 1985/86 and that stuff got me through some of those more insane periods. That was the year I really became a wrestling fan as a kid, and watching the Mean Gene update segments on Championship Wrestling/All-Star Wrestling were legit highlights of those television episodes for me on the adult rewatch, and he was dropping euphemisms like this almost weekly during his "A Moment with Mean Gene" segments on All-American where he was on the phone talking with a big-name celebrity circa 1986, though of course we were only hearing Gene's side of the conversation.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:22 PM, Ricky Jackson said:

This match from MLG in particular is hilarious to watch for the pure crowd rejection of baby HTM

Nice line by Gorilla: "How does Mr. X from Parts Unknown get through immigration here in Toronto? Does he put Parts Unknown down on the immigration form or what?"

• 2 weeks later...