Pro Wrestling Only

Mid-Atlantic Wrestling

Dr. Dunk

TV Taping from Greensboro Coliseum, February 26th.

1. Eddie Gilbert wrestled Buddy Landel to a spirited 20 minute DRAW

2. After a lot of technical takedowns and a bit of rough housing from both men, Genichiro Tenryu ( with Sir Oliver Humperdink) defeated Johnny Rodz after a brain buster and then a lariat with good measure to keep the veteran down after 12:19

3. Ron Bass ( with "Playboy" Buddy Rose) upsets Jay Youngblood in 14:06 after Youngblood misses a flying body press off the top rope. Bass picked Youngblood after the miss and hit his inverted suplex slam, landing the already stunned Youngblood on his face and made the cover for the 3 count after 9:47

4. Roddy Piper vs. "Big, Bad" Bobby Duncum ( with Bobby Heenan) ended up in a Double Disqualification when both men hit referee Stu Schwartz after 11:01 of action. After the match, Ken Patera joined in the fray and bloodied up Piper until "The Unpredictable" Dick Slater hit to clear the ring with chair in hand. 

intermission

5. Mid-Atlantic Finals: Barry Windham vs. Ken Patera ( with Bobby Heenan). The crowd is already on the case of the former Olympian after his involvement in the previous match. Heenan & Patera are giving to right back to the fans and as they do this, Windham sees an opening with Patera's back to him and tries a roll-up and gets a 2 count from referee Sonny Fargo. This is a wake-up call for Patera as he slides to the outside and has a conference with Heenan. Windham jumps out after him, but the veteran catches Windham with a knee and slams him neck first into the steel guardrail. Patera stomps on Windham and before Fargo can get his count up to 6, Patera confidently strolls back into the ring. Heenan sees an opportunity and kicks away at Windham as he is on the floor and Patera has Fargo distracted. Windham eventually makes it back into the ring, where a waiting Patera is smiling away and yelling naughty things at the crowd & Windham. Patera is having his way with the youngster and the crowd is starting to chant for Windham. However, no matter how hard the crowd gets behind Barry, Patera cuts him off when it appears that Windham is about to turn things around. Patera tries several pin attempts, but Windham manages to kick out at either 2 or 2 3/4. Windham gets a chance to turn the match around when Patera sets up way too early for a back body drop and this allows Windham to start to mount a comeback. Windham is a house of fire for several minutes and he even gets several 2 counts on Patera, until Kenny hits Windham in the back of his neck, which stops Windham cold. Patera sees his chance to win the match and the belt and applies his swinging neck breaker on Windham. Sonny Fargo checks on Windham as Patera yells at him to give it up and be a quitter like his "old man". Windham however doesn't give up, but he simply passes out form the pain and Fargo calls for the bell after 18:42. Winner and NEW Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champion, KEN PATERA!

6. Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Finals: The Fabulous Freebirds vs. "Nature Boy" Ric Flair & Greg "The Hammer" Valentine. The crowd is a buzz still from the previous match and Flair & Valentine are already in the ring waiting for their opponents. Referee Tommy Young is telling Flair & Valentine that Mid-Atlantic official Sandy Scott is coming to ringside. As Scott climbs into the ring, Flair is yelling at him asking on where the Freebirds are. Scott says something back at him and then he talks to Tommy Young. After a minute or so, Scott leaves the ring and Young talks the ring announcer Tom Miller and Miller says that he has an announcement. Due to the fact that the Fabulous Freebirds aren't here yet and the match is scheduled to start now, Referee Tommy Young has been instructed by Mid-Atlantic Official Sandy Scott to start a 10 count and if they're not in the ring by then, then the match goes to Flair & Valentine. Young starts to count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8...... Jimmy Hart comes to ringside and takes the mic away from Miller. He says that instead of accepting a count out victory, why doesn't he face his new tag team, the Street People in a match for the titles instead. After laughing at Hart, Flair and Valentine yell at him to beat it, before we beat you. Tommy Young then continues the count, 8,9,10..... The bell rings and he awards the titles to Flair & Valentine. Winner and NEW Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Tag Team Champions, "Nature Boy" Ric Flair & Greg "The Hammer" Valentine.

7. Nick Bockwinkle ( with Bobby Heenan) vs. Ricky Steamboat. This match had the chance to be the show stealer and boy it didn't disappoint. You have a man in "Tricky" Nick Bockwinkle who is a former multi-time AWA Heavyweight Champion and considers himself to be the smartest man in wrestling today. Then you have a young man who is considered to be a top contender for Harley Race and his NWA World heavyweight Championship. This is a match wrestling fans have anticipated since their TV match last week that ended up in a draw. The match starts as you get the usual stalling by the veterans Heenan & Bockwinkle. After a couple of minutes and a warning form referee Tommy Young, Bockwinkle is finally ready to get things going. Steamboat takes an early advantage with his speed and athletic ability and Bockwinkle doesn't seem to have any answers for this. The smartest man in wrestling can't figure out Steamboat as Steamer gets several surprise 2 counts early on, which befuddles the former champion. After 35 minutes, it's all been Steamboat and to be honest with everyone, Bockwinkle doesn't seem to e himself tonight. Maybe it's the spotlight getting to him or the magnitude of the card, but "Tricky Nicky" seems to be all out of tricks this evening. It's now 50 minutes in and Bockwinkle has finally gotten his sea legs, but is it too late to come back against Steamboat? Steamboat gets several near falls and is trying to set Bockwinkle up to hit his patented flying body press of the top rope. Bockwinkle knows this and has been trying to keep Steamboat towards the center of the ring. Announcer Tom Miller lets everyone know that there is only 2 minutes left in this 60 minute encounter. Steamboat tries and tries to make it over to the ring ropes, but Bockwinkle is just holding on for dear life and wouldn't let Steamboat get off the canvas. The bell rings as Bockwinkle has a leg lock on Steamboat. Match conclusion is a 60 Minute DRAW

8. U.S. Heavyweight Finals: "The Unpredictable" Dick Slater vs. Sgt. Slaughter. The main event for the 2nd most prestigious title in all of Professional Wrestling is now here. Slater comes to the ring with cheers raining down after helping fan favorite Roddy Piper the past several weeks and the former Marine instructor comes to the ring in a chorus of catcalls and boos. Slaughter could care less on what the fans think about him and Slater seems subdued even by his standards as this important match is ready to take place. The atmosphere is charged around ringside as the winner will be considered the "Top Dog" in the area. After introductions, both men are cautious and they finally lock up. Slaughter takes control early on as he impress with some nice amateur wrestling moves and takes Slater down to the mat. Slaughter knows that he needs to pace the match out to keep the "Unpredictable One" in check. Slaughter of course, works on the neck and upper back of Slater, trying to soften him up for one of the most famous (infamous ?) moves in the sport, his Cobra Clutch. Slater battles back up to his feet as only Slater can, by punching, kicking and even biting his way out of the situation. Slater starts to brawl with Slaughter and the rules are already out the window. Usually a brawl would favor both men as it's what they like to do best, but in this case you never know on who would be favored. They brawl all over the ring and to the outside. They even start to fight into the crowd and it gets so bad that referee Tommy Young gets on the house mic and tells them to get back into the ring or the match will be thrown out. To the surprise of many, both wrestlers head back towards the ring, bloodied and battered, looking worse for wear. Back in the ring, Slater whips Slaughter into the ropes and applies a sleeper hold to Slaughter right dead center in the ring. Slaughter tries and tries to wiggle out, but he starts to go to nighty, night land and Young raises Slaughter's hand once, twice, three times a lady. Young calls for the bell and the match is over after a 25:58 brawl!  WINNER and NEW US Heavyweight Chamipon, "The Unpredictable" Dick Slater

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Holy smokes at Bockwinkel and Steamboat going full broadway right before the main event. Fantastic encounter. The good thing about you using a heavy heel set of champions is that you got the babyfaces to make it work and the chases will be amazing.

I came up as I was writing this very early this morning a cool angle with Bock coming up. I plan on trying to run almost 2 loops like they did back in the day and I need to have some different match-ups along the way.

February 28th: Recreation Center, Shelby NC
1. Randy Savage over Jose Estrada after a series of elbows in 8:36
2. Genichiro Tenryu defeats Doug Somers in 11:02
3. Street People ( Leroy Brown & Jimmy Valiant) triumph's Mike Miller & Johnny Rodz in 9:33
4. Ron Bass defeats Butch Reed after 2 powerslams in 13:20
5. Bobby Duncum over Jay Youngblood in 14:56

February 28th: Memorial Auditorium, Spartanburg SC
1. Eddie Gilbert downs Buddy Landel in 12:29
2. Jos Leduc beats Mike Miller via submission after a bearhug in 7:38
3. Ole & Gene Anderson 20 minute DRAW Buzz Sawyer & Matt Borne 
4. Sgt. Slaughter DDQ Wahoo McDaniel in a 14:07 wild affair
5. Jumbo Tsuruta beats down Curt Hennig with a backdrop suplex in 8:11
6. Jerry Lawler defeats Dory Funk Jr. with a roll up after 19:48

March 1st: Ashville Civic Center, Ashville NC
1. Doug Somers over Mike Miller after 8:11
2. Buzz Sawyer & Matt Borne defeats Johnny Rodz & Jose Estrada in a tough 13:47
3. Austin Idol wins over a gallant try by Curt Hennig after 10:22 with the Las Vegas Leg Lock
4. Street People (  Jimmy Valiant & Leroy Brown) DDQ Buddy Rose & Rip Oliver in 22:58
5. Challenge Match: "Cowboy" Ron Bass defeats Barry Windham in 17:30 after a referee bump and the use of brass knuckles
6. Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Titles: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair & Greg "The Hammer" Valentine (C) defeat Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichiro Tenryu in 26:02 of action

March 1st: Civic Center, Savannah Georgia
1. Eddie Gilbert faces off against Buddy Landel and gets the victory after 15:29 with an O'Connor roll
2. Randy Savage beats Jay Youngblood after 12:33 with an piledriver
3. Jerry Lawler 20 minute DRAW with Dory Funk Jr.
4. Wahoo McDaniel defeats Bobby Duncum after a tomahawk chop to the forehead in 17:19
Mid Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Ken Patera over Butch Reed in 15:44
6. Ricky Steamboat Double Countout with Nick Bockwinkle following 36:48 of action 

March 2nd: Cumberland County Memorial Auditorium, Fayetteville NC
1. Butch Reed over Mike Miller after an impressive display of athleticism in 7:31
2. Jumbo Tsuruta is simply too talented for Eddie Gilbert and wins at 9:18
3. Ole & Gene Anderson defeats The Street People ( Jimmy Valiant & Leroy Brown) in 16:44 after Ole pins Brown
4. Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Titles: Ric Flair & Greg Valentine (c) beat Matt Borne & Buzz Sawyer after a very physical 21:59
5. US Title Match: Dick Slater (C) 30 minute DRAW Sgt. Slaughter
6. Roddy Piper & Jay Youngblood defeat Buddy Rose & Rip Oliver in 20:40

March 2nd: Memorial Auditorium, Greenville SC
1. Johnny Rodz pins Doug Somers in 10:26
2. Randy Savage upsets Dory Funk Jr. in 17:28 with a inside cradle
3. Austin Idol and Jerry Lawler DDQ after 21:37
4. Wahoo McDaniel beats Bobby Duncum within an inch of his life after 24:11
5. Mid-Atlantic Title: Ken Patera submits Barry Windham in 15:33

1 hour ago, LowBlowPodcast said:

I did well on my picks... I love Ken Patera at this point and he is such a monster... especially with Bobby Heenan. To say you're loaded would be an understatement. Both of those house shows are legit and worth the price of admission.

Thanks. I'm trying to run 2 house a day for as long as possible. 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:41 AM, SirEdger said:

Love your match results description as it's a pretty solid indication of how it went in a match.

I agree.  @Dr. Dunk does a great job describing his matches.  I am getting a lot of great ideas from reading the Mid Atlantic results, just like I got great ideas for formatting the weekly TV show and promos from @LowBlowPodcast.

March 3rd: Flora County Civic Center, Greenwood SC

1. Jose Estrada puts on a clinic and defeats Buddy Landel after 8:27
2. Genichiro Tenryu 20 Minute DRAW Randy Savage
3. Ole Anderson makes Curt Hennig submit in 12:20
4. Ron Bass, Buddy Rose & Rip Oliver defeat Jay Youngblood, Butch Reed & Jos Leduc after Oliver & Rose spike piledrive Youngblood after 13:58
Mid-Atlantic Title: Ken Patera (c) DDQ Roddy Piper in a violent bloodbath in only 11:49
Mid-Atlantic Tag Title: Ric Flair & Greg Valentine (C) ( with Gene Anderson) defeat The Street People ( Jimmy Valiant & Leroy Brown) after Valentine pins Valiant with his foot on the ropes when it seemed like the Street People would achieve the upset.
7. Wahoo McDaniel & Ricky Steamboat sent the crowd home happy, when they downed Nick Bockwinkle & Bobby Duncum when Steamboat hit Duncum with a flying cross-body press after 23:44.

March 4th: Sumter County Exhibition Center, Sumter SC.

1. Johnny Rodz pinned Mike Miller after 6:02
2. Ole & Gene Anderson defeat a game Buzz Sawyer & Matt Borne in a punishing bout that lasted 16:29 when Ole pinned Borne
3. Dory Funk Jr. submits Butch Reed to the spinning toe hold after 12:41. After the match, Reed needed help to the dressing room.
4. Jumbo Tsuruta defeats Jay Youngblood with a backdrop suplex and into a bridge in an exciting 15:21
Mid-Atlantic Title: Ken Patera (C) vs. Barry Windham was ruled a no contest when Windham was attacked before the match by Ron Bass & The One Man Gang when Windham was heading to the ring. Bass & OMG was joined in by Rip Oliver as Ken Patera directed traffic from the ring. The attack was stopped only when Roddy Piper & Dick Slater came out to the ringside welding chairs. Piper then went to attack Patera as Patera slipped to the outside and hightailed it back to the dressing room. Windham was carried to the back via a stretcher as his back was injured during the melee. 
6. Roddy Piper is DQ'ed in his match against Ron Bass after only 3:07.
US Heavyweight Title: Dick Slater (c) puts Rip Oliver to sleep after a 17:34 brawl.

3 hours ago, LowBlowPodcast said:

I would love to see 1980 Tenryu and Savage go 20 minutes... then Ole and Curt Hennig. I love Ken Patera and how you're using him. Piper vs Patera is a good feud and one I can get behind. Lasn't... Dick Slater continues to rule... lots of great cards here and fun matchups.

Thanks. It easy work when you have talent around you like this. The biggest challenge is too keep everyone involved somehow. 

Mid-Atlantic+Patch+Black+268w.jpg

Bob Caudle: Welcome folks to another week of Mid-Atlantic Wrestling. We will have such stars like Buddy Rose, Ron Bass, Ric Flair, Ole Anderson. We will also have the Street People on the program today. Let's head up to the ring.

From Minnesota weighing at 245 lbs., Doug Somers. vs. From Las Vegas Nevada at 265 lbs, "Playboy" Buddy Rose. Referee is Sonny Fargo.

Rose and Somers tie up and Rose catches Somers with a knee to the gut. Rose takes control of the youngster and shows a high aptitude in mat wrestling. Every time Somers tries to get up of the canvas, Rose is able to hook and arm or a leg to keep Somers off balance and from getting up. Speaking of the leg, Rose starts to work the right leg of his opponent and has Somers squirming around the canvas in a bit of discomfort. Rose then decides to pick Somers up off the mat and lift him up to deliver a shin breaker which makes Somers wince in pain. All in one motion, Rose grabs the leg and applies the figure four leg lock. Somers has no choice but to submit.

WINNER VIA SUBMISSION, Buddy Rose.

Bob Caudle: That was a quite impressive performance Mr. Rose.
Buddy Rose: ( out comes Rip Oliver/Ron Bass/One Man Gang) Mr. Caudle, it's your pleasure in talking to us. Let me introduce ourselves to everyone here. This is my main man, the man who has traveled the highways of the Pacific Northwest for many years, "The Crippler" Rip Oliver. He is a dangerous man hence the name "The Crippler". Next is a man is people around here are very familiar with and that "Cowboy" Ron Bass. Bass is a very tough man and I'm so glad that he is back on my side again. Now, we have the powerhouse of the group. 6'9" and at 400 lbs. he is walking, talking destruction and his name is the One Man Gang. 

Ron Bass: Speaking of wrestlers, where is Barry Windham at? Has anyone seen him today? ( laughter) I heard he had a bit of an accident before his rematch with Ken Patera the other night. All we came to do was to wish our friend Mr. Patera well before his contest and out comes this long drink of water, talking trash about us. Well everything was fine until he spat at this man to my right, the One Man Gang and where we come from, you simply can't let a man get away with spitting at you. You see Caudle, he has a yellow streak a mile long and a mile wide on his back, just like his old man, who I ran out of here a bit while back. (laughter) I don't think that you will be seeing him again anytime soon. 

Bob Caudle: Well isn't this a surprise, it's Barry Windham.
Windham: I'm not here to cause any trouble Mr. Caudle, but I'm here to challenge Ron Bass and this One Man Gang to a tag team match for the card on the 22nd in Greensboro.

Bass: So, who's your partner boy? 
Windham: Oh, you will find out in due time. Don't tell me that you are yellow?
Bass: YELLOW!, Who are you calling YELLOW! We accept this match ( One Man Gang nodding in approval)
Windham: (laughing as he walks away)

commercial break.

Bob Caudle: That's was quite the segment that we just had. I wonder on who Barry has as his partner? Well, we have another match ready and in the ring.

Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champions, "Nature Boy" Ric Flair and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine and their partner from Minnesota, Ole Anderson ( along with Gene Anderson) Their opponents are Buzz Sawyer & Matt Borne and their partner is from Kansas City, Butch Reed. Referee is Stu Schwartz.

It appears that Gene is recovering from some sort of knee injury, judging by the crutch he is leaning on. Valentine & Borne start the match and it's even until Borne tags in Sawyer. Sawyer catches Valentine with an elbow to the chops and takes him down with a side headlock. The match is back and forth until Ole Anderson catches Sawyer napping and knees him in the back when he gets to close to the corner. In comes Flair and then all 3 men take turns beating on Sawyer.  After about 8 to 20 minutes of this and several close calls, Sawyer is able to reach his corner and tags in Reed. Reed is a house of fire and beats on all 3 men and has everything under control, but then out of nowhere, Gene Anderson hits Reed in the back to the head with his crutch and Redd hits the canvas hard. Ole sees this and yells to the legal man Valentine, who then drops a heavy elbow of the middle rope and hooks the leg and gets the pin right before Borne is able to knock Valentine off of Reed.

WINNERS: Ric Flair/Greg Valentine/Ole Anderson.

commercial break

Caudle: I have with me the manager of the Street People, Jimmy Hart and Jimmy "The Boogie Woogie Man" Valiant. 
Valiant: Woah, Mercy Bob Caudle! I see that Flair & Valentine are still ducking us, but we finally have a shot at them at the Greensboro show coming up on the 22nd. 
Hart: That's right baby, we have a shot at the Mid-Atlantic titles and there will be new champions after that night.

commercial break

Caudle: Out comes Sir Oliver Humperdink.
Humperdink: Caudle, I have some big news and that news is that we have another gem coming into the House of Humperdink. He is a huge star in Japan and will be the new US Heavyweight Champion if I have any say in the conversation.

Man, it feels so weird to see Buddy Rose wrestle Doug Somers when I've been used to see them wrestle as a tag team. But you're pulling off his character very well, good job.

Looking forward to see who Sir Oliver Humperdink is bringing out for the US title!

44 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Man, it feels so weird to see Buddy Rose wrestle Doug Somers when I've been used to see them wrestle as a tag team. But you're pulling off his character very well, good job.

Looking forward to see who Sir Oliver Humperdink is bringing out for the US title!

He's a big deal is the hint. I wish the card was longer, but was really busy this weekend. I want to do 3 to 4 matches on a hour show and have enough time for promo's. Just didn't happen and won't happen next weekend as I'll be away from Friday to Tuesday.