Pro Wrestling Only

Maple Leaf Wrestling

The Thread Killer

Maple Leaf Wrestling TV
February 28, 1981

tvlogo.jpg

(Taped from the Brantford Civic Center in Brantford, Ontario on 02/23/81)

We open to our hosts Mike McMan and Billy Red Lyons, who welcome us to another exciting episode of Maple Leaf Wrestling, here on CHCH Channel 11.

announcers.jpg

Mike and Billy open the program by discussing the ongoing tournament to crown new NWA International Tag Team Champions.  

Billy Red Lyons: “Fans, many of you heard the exciting announcement from Promoter Frank Tunney a few weeks ago, about the Tournament to decide new Tag Team Champions here in Maple Leaf Wrestling.”

Mike McMan: “That’s right Billy, and as you know the Opening Round kicked off this past Sunday at Toronto’s Maple Leaf Gardens.  It was a night of amazing action, and after all the smoke had cleared we now have our Quarterfinal round set and ready to go.  And fans we’re excited to tell you that our first Quarterfinal match in the tournament to crown new Tag Team Champions takes place right here, on this episode of Maple Leaf Wrestling.”

Billy Red Lyons: “Yes Mike, our Main Event today is the first Quarterfinal match and we’ll be seeing former Champions The Kelly Twins, Pat and Mike...and they’ll be facing off against respected veteran Johnny “Buzzsaw” Weaver and his exciting young protege, collegiate rookie phenomenon Mike Rotundo.”

Mike McMan: “Before we get to the action this week Billy, lets show our fans highlights of the amazing action this past Sunday at Maple Leaf Gardens and let everybody know how we got here so far...”

McMan and Lyons present a detailed video replay package featuring the finishes to all of the Opening Round matches in the Tag Team tournament.

After the highlight package has aired, we return to Mike McMan and Billy Red Lyons at the announcer’s desk.

Billy Red Lyons:  “An incredible first round to this tournament and even more exciting Maple Leaf Wrestling action to come in our Main Event this week...but first let’s go to the ring."

We go to the ring and see Bob Marcus already standing in the corner, where he is introduced by Norm Kimber. The fans give Marcus a warm reception, but shortly the polite applause turns to jeers. The camera angle changes to show NWA Canadian Champion Big John Studd on his way to the ring, accompanied by his manager “Pretty Boy” Floyd Creatchman.  Studd sheds his robe and steps over the top rope as Norm Kimber introduces him.  Floyd Creatchman is pacing around ringside, cradling the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Championship belt in his arms and grinning.

Studd.jpg  VS. Bob-Marcus.jpg

As soon as the bell rings,  Studd attacks!  Big John Studd grabs Bob Marcus, hoists him high in the air and drops him face first on the turnbuckles.  Marcus crumples to the mat, and Studd pulls him to his feet by the hair and starts paint brushing Marcus across the face with derisive slaps.  Finally, Studd hoists Bob Marcus in the air and drives him into the mat with a bone crunching Powerslam.  Studd places his foot on the chest of the prone Bob Marcus, as the referee makes the count...one...two...three!

Norm Kimber: “Here is your winner: BIG JOHN STUDD!”

The fans boo loudly as the bell rings, the referee holds Studd’s hand in the air and Norm Kimber announces him as the winner.  Big John Studd steps back over the top rope, steps to the floor and he and “Pretty Boy” Floyd Creatchman walk over to Lord Athol Layton who is standing in front of the ring, holding a microphone.

Lord-Athol-Layton.jpg

Lord Athol Layton:  “Fans, it is my pleasure at this time to welcome the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Champion Big John Studd, with his manager Mr. “Pretty Boy” Floyd Creatchman.  Mr. Creatchman, I heard a rumor earlier today that you were quite unhappy about an announcement made earlier this week by Frank Tunney, concerning your client Mr. Studd and his next Championship Title defense.  Can you confirm this?”

Pretty-Boy.jpg

Floyd: “First of all, I’d like to tell all these fans to shut up if they want to have the pleasure of listening to me talk.”

The fans boo louder...of course.

Floyd: “What you said is actually right, Lord Athol Layton...which must be a first for you, you actually got something right.  I’m not happy.  The NWA Canadian Champion Big John Studd is not happy.  Do you want to know why we’re not happy?”

Layton: “Well yes I...”

Floyd: “Let me tell you.  This week Frank Tunney announced that during the next round of the tournament to decide new Tag Team Champions, my team of Big John Studd and Huge Tom Lintz are going to be facing Angelo Mosca and Dewey Robertson.”

The fans cheer.

Floyd: “Thank you, Mr. Studd and Mr. Lintz appreciate your support.  We’re not angry about that match.  Why would we be?  We understand that in order to become the new Tag Team Champions – which is going to happen – that we have to destroy everybody else here in Maple Leaf Wrestling.  We have no problem with that, just like we had no problem destroying that muscle-head Dino Bravo and his decrepit old partner Pat Patterson.”

Layton: “Wait a minute, Mr. Creatchman.  I wouldn’t exactly say your team destroyed Mr. Bravo and Mr. Patterson.  In fact, that decision – as we saw during the highlights at the start of this show – was controversial to say the least.  Your team only won because Big John Studd managed to roll back into the ring right before Dino Bravo did...and Mr. Bravo probably would have made it, if not for your interference.”

Big John Studd looks down at Lord Athol Layton with a highly annoyed look on his face, as Pretty Boy Floyd Creatchman turns red-faced and points his finger right into the face of Lord Athol Layton.

Floyd: “What?  What?!  How dare you say that to me. That’s not what happened at all.  But that’s not what we’re here to talk about.  We’re here to talk about the fact that Frank Tunney claims that if my team loses to the team of Angelo Mosca and Dewey Robertson, then whoever scores the win will be automatically granted a shot at the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Championship in the future.  And that is a total outrage.  Big John Studd shouldn’t have to face either of those men.  Neither of those men are valid contenders.  Big John Studd shouldn’t have to face anybody, any time soon...because he just successfully defended his title against Bob Marcus.”

Layton: “With all due respect to Bob Marcus, Mr. Creatchman...he is hardly a top ranked contender, and that match you just had wasn’t even a sanctioned title match, it was a non-title exhibition.”

Pretty Boy Floyd Creatchman shakes his head sadly.

Floyd: “How rude of you.  How disrespectful.  How dismissive.  Bob Marcus is one of the top talents here in Maple Leaf Wrestling, and Big John Studd just defeated him in a breathtaking exhibition of Professional Wrestling...but you try and degrade and downplay that victory, and take it away from Big John Studd.  

Well I don’t care what you think, and I don’t care what you say.  Big John Studd just fought right here in front of your eyes, moments ago...and he shouldn’t have to worry about fighting again any time soon...especially against the likes of that gorilla Angelo Mosca or that puffed up goody two-shoes Dewey Robertson.

I don’t like this...I don’t like it one little bit.  It makes me angry and upset.”

Layton: “Well that’s unfortunate, Mr. Creatchman...because the match has already been scheduled for three weeks from today, right here on Maple Leaf Wrestling.  Your man Big John Studd and Huge Tom Lintz will be facing off against Angelo Mosca and Dewey Robertson to determine who will advance in the NWA International Tag Team Tournament...and if Mr. Mosca or Mr. Robertson manage to get the win, whoever does will earn a shot at Big John Studd’s NWA Canadian Heavyweight Championship!  

And it all happens right here on Maple Leaf Wrestling on March 14!”

Floyd: “ Exactly! And that’s why this doesn’t make me the slightest bit angry or upset.”

Athol: “But you just finished saying...”

Floyd: “Don’t interrupt. You’re always contradicting me, Lord Athol Layton.  You think you’re so big, with your fancy suit...that doesn’t even have any sequins by the way...and your snooty British accent.  Well I don’t know what you think you know, Mr. So-Called Lord Athol Layton...but you’re not the Lord over me.  You’re not the boss of Pretty Boy Floyd Creatchman.

So you listen, and you listen good.  And all you people here tonight listen.  And all you fans at home listen.”

Pretty Boy Floyd Creatchman points directly into the camera, while Big John Studd stands behind him looking menacing, with the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Championship Title belt over his shoulder.

Floyd: “I meant what I said.  It doesn’t matter.  None of this matters.  You know why?  I’ll tell you why.  Because on March 14, Big John Studd is going to do what he always does.  He’s doing to do what he just did to that pathetic loser, that total nobody Bob Marcus.  Big John Studd and Huge Tom Lintz are going to squash Angelo Mosca and Dewey Robertson like bugs...and then they are going to go on to win the Tag Team Championships.

Nobody can stop that.  You can’t stop it.  These fans can’t stop it.  Frank Tunney can’t stop it.  Big John Studd is going to remain the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Champion, and then he’s going to become one half of the NWA International Tag Team Champions, and then just for fun...he might go and beat up Dino Bravo again, and become the NWA Canadian Television Champion.

You know why?  Because he can.  Look at this man. Seven feet tall. Three Hundred and Fifty pounds.  He can’t be knocked off his feet.  He can’t be slammed.  He can’t be beaten.  So none of this nonsense matters.

Let’s go...champ.”

Pretty Boy Floyd and Big John Studd give Lord Athol Layton one last dirty look and then they walk away as we go to commercial...

~Commercial Break~

We return from commercial to see Ricky Johnson and Salvatore Bellomo already in the ring.  Norm Kimber announces the next match as a one fall, Tag Team Contest and makes the formal introduction for Johnson and Bellomo.

Suddenly, we see Doug Vines and Jeff Sword emerge from behind the backstage curtain and make their way to the ring.  However, the two men are not alone.  Walking between them is a strange hooded figure...wearing a Monk’s robe.  His face is totally concealed from sight.

Ricky-Johnson.jpg&Sal-Bellomo.jpg  VS.  Devils-Duo.jpg

Mike McMan: “What on earth?  Who is that with Doug Vines and Jeff Sword?”

Billy Red Lyons: “I have no idea, Mike.  Of course, we know that Vines and Sword lost a tough match in the opening round of the tournament to Johnny Weaver and Mike Rotundo.  I’ve heard that they are very unhappy about that and had something planned to reverse their fortunes here in Maple Leaf Wrestling...but I don’t know if that is what is going on here.”

Norm Kimber announces the “Devil’s Duo” as Vines and Sword enter the ring.  The bell rings, and Vines and Sword waste no time in going after Johnson and Bellomo. The referee manages to restore some kind of order, and Vines and Sword settle into a fierce contest against Johnson and Bellomo.  Ricky Johnson is successful in getting the advantage with a couple of deep arm drags and hip tosses, and knocks Sword from the apron with a dropkick.  However, after Johnson tags in Bellomo it is not too long before The Devil’s Duo manages to regain the upper hand, thanks to frequent cheating and sneaky tactics.  

The hooded man jumps up onto the apron, as the referee orders him down, Vines and Sword manage to execute a covert spike piledriver!  The referee turns around in time to see Vines making the cover on Bellomo, and it’s one...two...three!

Norm Kimber: “Here are your winners: DOUG VINES AND JEFF SWORD!”

The two men leave the ring and huddle with the hooded figure at ringside.  Lord Athol Layton approaches with his microphone and attempts to get an interview but he is rebuffed, as Vines, Sword and the hooded man head back behind the curtain...

~Commercial Break~

We return to action to see the imposing looking Moose Morowski in the ring.  Norm Kimber introduces him to the boos of the crowd.  Morowski is leaning over the top rope, jawing at the fans as the camera angle switches and we see George Wells emerge from behind the curtain and make his way to the ring.  Norm Kimber introduces Wells, and the bell rings to start this singles match...

Moose.jpg  VS.  George-Wells.jpg

As soon as George Wells enters the ring, Morowski jumps him and starts hammering Wells over the back with a succession of forearms and follows up with a fluffy of kicks.  The two men proceed to brawl back and forth. The contest ends up being a spirited bout which lasts a fair while, until Moose Morowski makes the mistake of whipping George Wells into the ropes.  The former football player goes into a crouch as he rebounds off the ropes, and tackles Morowski around the midsection, knocking the wind out of him and folding the big man up like an accordion.  Wells covers Moroski, who was caught totally by surprise by the springboard shoulder tackle! One...two...three!

Norm Kimber: “Here is your winner...George Wells!”

~Commercial Break~

Mike McMan: “We’re back fans...and with no further ado, it’s time for our Main Event!”

Main Event: NWA International Tag Team Tournament Quarterfinal Match #1

Kelly-Twins.jpg  VS. Weaver-Rotundo.jpg

While we in commercial break, both teams have entered the ring and taken opposite sides.  Norm Kimber makes the introduction, and calls for the bell to start the match.

The Kelly Twins go on the offensive right from the bell, and proceed to cut young Mike Rotundo off from his corner.  The two big men take turns tagging in and out, and pummelling Mike Rotundo mercilessly.

Mike McMann: “Billy Red, it looks like The Kelly Twins have a strategy here.  They must see Mike Rotundo’s youth and inexperience as the weak link in their opponents team...and they want to keep him from tagging in the veteran.”

Billy Red Lyons: “I am no stranger to The Kelly Twins myself.  They are a big, tough team and they’ve been champions before.  They obviously want those titles back, and are willing to beat Mike Rotundo to a pulp to get them!”

The fans are exhorting Mike Rotundo to make the tag to his popular veteran partner, but The Kelly Twins keep the ring cut off and tag in and out, with Mike Rotundo at their mercy.

Finally, Rotundo manages to shock Pat Kelly with a leg sweep and sends the big man sprawling.  Rotundo dives to his corner and makes the desperate tag, as the fans in the Brantford Civic Center erupt. Johnny Weaver charges in like the proverbial house on fire, he crosses the ring and clotheslines Mike Kelly off the apron to the floor.  Then Weaver turns his attention to Pat Kelly, who is still the worse for wear after being knocked off his feet by Mike Rotundo.  Weaver grabs Pat Kelly by the wrist and pulls him to his feet.  Weaver hurls Kelly into the ropes and hits him with the big back body drop!  As Pat Kelly groggily stumbles back to his feet, Johnny Weaver goes behind and slaps on his famous sleeper hold!  Kelly thrashes around, but Weaver cinches down.  Pat Kelly starts to fade.  Mike Kelly tries to enter the ring to stop his brother from going to sleep...but the battered Mike Rotundo cuts him off with a perfect dropkick and sends Mike Kelly crashing back to the floor!

The referee checks Pat Kelly’s arm...it drops limply...and the referee calls for the bell!

Norm Kimber: "Here are your winners and advancing to the Semi-Finals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament...MIKE ROTUNDO and JOHNNY "BUZZSAW" WEAVER!!!"

Mike McMan: “The Veteran/Rookie combination of Johnny Weaver and Mike Roundo have done it again!  Weaver has put big Pat Kelly to sleep with his famous sleeper hold!”

Billy Red Lyons: “Weaver and Rotundo are moving on to the Semi-Finals!  They’re going to Maple Leaf Gardens on March 29!”

Mike McMan: “What a match, and what a show!  We’ll see you next week Maple Leaf Wrestling fans...when The Della Serra Brothers tangle with Dominic DeNucci and Tony Parisi, to find out who else will be moving on to the Semi-Finals!  We’re out of time!  See you next week on Maple Leaf Wrestling!”

smalllogo.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not that familiar with that much Maple Leaf Wrestling so I'm getting up to speed on the fly. I'm surprised to see Weaver getting this type of push because I only remember him as broken down at the end of his career. The point of some of these projects is to learn about how a particular promotion booked or how a particular might've had been booked that you didn't see in his prime of even past his prime. 

2 hours ago, SirEdger said:

That promo with Pretty Boy Floyd Creatchman was a lot of fun. Felt very reminiscent of my childhood where all we wanted as fans was for Floyd or his dad Eddy to get a good ass-whoopin'! Floyd will be so great to see evolve in Maple Leaf Wrestling.

Thanks very much. It reminded me of the fun I used to have when I was active in e-fedding.  When I used to watch International Wrestling, I LOVED Pretty Boy Floyd Creatchman, his interviews were great, and he was hysterical when he used to sit in on English commentary with Milt Avruskin.  I always wished he had been bigger, as far as I was concerned he was better than most of the managers they had in the WWF, except Bobby Heenan of course.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Dunk said:

I'm not that familiar with that much Maple Leaf Wrestling so I'm getting up to speed on the fly. I'm surprised to see Weaver getting this type of push because I only remember him as broken down at the end of his career. The point of some of these projects is to learn about how a particular promotion booked or how a particular might've had been booked that you didn't see in his prime of even past his prime. 

Weaver was pretty much broken down by the early 80's, but he did team up with Rotundo a bit, so I am just having fun doing the whole Veteran/Rookie team with those two. Johnny Weaver kind of was a midcard/JTTS but that's the great thing about this project...we can change history, so to speak.  Trust me, Iron Mike Sharpe might have more success with me than he ever really did. :lol:

Thank you for the feedback, guys.

smalllogo.jpg

Maple Leaf Wrestling
St. Catherines, Ontario - Garden City Arena
February 28, 1981
Paid Attendance: 1,150

• Sweet Ebony Diamond pinned Tim Gerrard
  • Iron Mike Sharpe & Goldie Rogers defeated Ricky Johnson & Cocoa Samoa
  • Sweet Daddy Siki defeated Moose Morowski
  • Billy Robinson & The Destroyer defeated Kelly Kiniski & Whipper Watson Jr.
  • Bullwhip Johnson defeated Huge Tom Lintz

24 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Thanks very much. It reminded me of the fun I used to have when I was active in e-fedding.  When I used to watch International Wrestling, I LOVED Pretty Boy Floyd Creatchman, his interviews were great, and he was hysterical when he used to sit in on English commentary with Milt Avruskin.  I always wished he had been bigger, as far as I was concerned he was better than most of the managers they had in the WWF, except Bobby Heenan of course.

Weaver was pretty much broken down by the early 80's, but he did team up with Rotundo a bit, so I am just having fun doing the whole Veteran/Rookie team with those two. Johnny Weaver kind of was a midcard/JTTS but that's the great thing about this project...we can change history, so to speak.  Trust me, Iron Mike Sharpe might have more success with me than he ever really did. :lol:

Thank you for the feedback, guys.

Yeah, Floyd did very well for himself when he took over the Creatchman Family as Eddy's health started to fail him. Still remember how he lead Samu to the International title. Weird fact; Samu actually never had the opportunity to defend the title after he won it; he actually had the belt stolen from him in a home burglary at some point. Eventually, "Dr. D" David Schultz was the last International Heavyweight Champion before the promotion folded in 1987.

14 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Eventually, "Dr. D" David Schultz was the last International Heavyweight Champion before the promotion folded in 1987.

I have vivid memories of when Schultz showed up in Montreal.  He was wearing a mask and he attacked Steve DiSalvo, aka "Sadistic Steve Strong."  I loved the Montreal Territory.  Where else could you see Bruiser Brody as a heel fighting Abdullah as a babyface?

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday...but I can remember a Pro Wrestling angle from 34 years ago. :blink:

Wow, your memory is better than mine on that. I didn't even recall that Abdullah was a babyface in Montreal vs Bruiser Brody.

But yeah, those connections with Carlos Colon & WWC came in handy for Gino Brito when Vince McMahon robbed him blind of his top stars. The last 2 years of Lutte Internationale pretty much consisted of a lot of young guns from other territories coming in Montreal to seek their teeth in and the WWC guys. Hercules Ayala was a solid heel in Montreal, thanks to that too.

I've always wanted to see a little more from Dewey Robertson before he was the Missing Link. You've got a really good loop here with some top tier talent. I love John Studd and he's my guy for you from my point of view. I feel like he's going to be the top tier guy for this promotion and perhaps the game when he compares to other.

10 minutes ago, LowBlowPodcast said:

I've always wanted to see a little more from Dewey Robertson before he was the Missing Link. You've got a really good loop here with some top tier talent. I love John Studd and he's my guy for you from my point of view. I feel like he's going to be the top tier guy for this promotion and perhaps the game when he compares to other.

Dewey Robertson was over like crazy in Toronto.  He was one of the first big "muscle" guys in an era where there were very few.  Plus he was local, so the fans loved him.  There is actually a Maple Leaf Wrestling TV match on YouTube with Dewey Robertson teaming up with Ric Flair against Jimmy Snuka and Roddy Piper.  That's how big a star Robertson was, to be included in with guys like that.

21 hours ago, Dr. Dunk said:

I really enjoy of all the detail you have put into this. Love the tables and graphics.

Thanks very much.  I have been having a good time going through old pictures of all the guys who were on the roster of Maple Leaf Wrestling back in the late 70's and early 80's. This whole project has been a fun distraction so far.

Monday March 2, 1981

matwatch.jpg

Hello again Maple Leaf Wrestling fans and welcome to another edition of Jimmy Freeman's Mat Watch...your source for all the news about Maple Leaf Wrestling.

ITEM #1: THE NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS ARE COMING TO MAPLE LEAF WRESTLING!

Tag-Champs.jpg

You read that right, fans.  I have personally spoken to Maple Leaf Wrestling Promoter and President Frank Tunney, and confirmed that Paul "#1" Jones and The Masked Superstar are coming to Maple Leaf Wrestling at the end of this month, when Maple Leaf Wrestling tours Southern Ontario and Western New York.

Not only that, but I am happy to be able to break the news regarding what exciting matches have been signed for the World Tag Team Champions at each show!

On Saturday March 21, 1981 Maple Leaf Wrestling will be holding another exciting card at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York and in the Main Event that night, the World Tag Team Champions will be facing none other than the NWA Canadian Champion Big John Studd, and his partner Huge Tom Lintz.

Studd.jpg  Huge-Tom-Lintz.jpg

The following Thursday, March 26 Maple Leaf Wrestling returns to the Rochester War Memorial and in the Main Event that night, Paul Jones and The Masked Superstar will be defending their World Tag Team Championship titles against none other than The Great Hossein Arab and his partner the devious Mr. Fuji!

FujiArab.jpg

The next night Friday, March 27 when Maple Leaf Wrestling presents another night of action for the loyal fans in Niagara Falls, Paul Jones and The Masked Superstar will have their skills and endurance pushed to the limit when they are faced with the daunting prospect of going up against none other than Abdullah The Butcher and The Sheik!

Abdullah-The-Butcher.jpg  TheSheik.jpg

The NWA World Tag Team Champions will be rounding out their visit by making an appearance on the March 28 edition of Maple Leaf Wrestling on CHCH Channel 11.  I have been informed that Paul Jones and The Masked Superstar will be wrestling either The Kelly Twins or possibly The Devil's Duo in a non-title match.

Of course...it remains to be seen if Paul Jones and The Masked Superstar will still even be the NWA World Tag Team Champions after facing the best Maple Leaf Wrestling has to offer that week!

ITEM #2: THE NWA INTERNATIONAL TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT CONTINUES...

Speaking of championship Tag Teams...as we have seen, the tournament to decide the NWA International Tag Team Champions is well underway.  We now have our first Semifinalist team in Mike Rotundo and Johnny Weaver.  Rotundo and Weaver will be facing the winner of the Della Serra Brothers vs. Dominic DeNucci & Tony "Cannonball" Parisi match which takes place this Saturday on Maple Leaf Wrestling.

That Semifinal match will take place before intermission at the next big Maple Leaf Wrestling show at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens on Sunday, March 29.  The winner of that match will get a rest period, and then have to go on to wrestle in the finals that very night, in the Main Event.  Whichever team wins this tournament will certainly have earned it.

And who will that team be facing?

The aforementioned Big John Studd & Huge Tom Lintz will be squaring off against Dewey Robertson & Angelo Mosca one week from this Saturday on Maple Leaf Wrestling.  Whoever comes out of that match with their hands raised will be facing the winners of the Main Event of the next big show coming up in Oshawa on March 20.

And speaking of that show...

ITEM #3: BIG OSHAWA CARD ANNOUNCED! TICKETS NOW ON SALE!

Promoter Frank Tunney has done it again, Maple Leaf Wrestling fans.  Mr. Tunney has put together a card which is guaranteed to sell out the Oshawa Civic Auditorium on March 20.  Not only will the final spot in the NWA International Tag Team Tournament Semifinals be decided on that night, but Mr. Tunney has announced that Dino Bravo will be defending his NWA Canadian Television Championship that same night.  Fans, you are going to want to get your tickets for this event now.

Here is the amazing card:

smalllogo.jpg

Maple Leaf Wrestling
Oshawa, Ontario - Oshawa Civic Auditorium
March 20, 1981

1)  The Marcus Brothers vs. The Devil's Duo

2)  Brian Adidas vs. Goldie Rogers

3)  The Della Serra Brothers vs. Sweet Ebony Diamond & George Wells

4)  The Second Generation Superstars (Kelly Kiniski, Whipper Watson Jr. & Bruno Sammartino Jr.) vs. The Kelly Twins and Moose Morowski

5)  Tony "Cannonball" Parisi vs. Iron Mike Sharpe

6)  Dino Bravo (c) vs. Billy Robinson for the NWA Canadian Television Championship

7)  The Main Event - To Determine the Final Team in the Final Four of the NWA International Tag Team Tournament:

Abdullah The Butcher & The Sheik vs. Blackjack Mulligan & Bullwhip Johnson

ITEM #4: MAPLE LEAF VILLAINS INVADE STAMPEDE WRESTLING!

Fans may have notice last week when Maple Leaf Wrestling was touring Central Ontario that Hossein the Arab and Mr. Fuji were conspicuously absent. Turns out there was a reason for that...a nefarious reason.  Hossein and Fuji showed up in Stampede Wrestling of all places last Friday Night, where they attacked the Kansas Jayhawks (Bobby Jaggers and Dutch Mantel)  and The Strongbows

Great-Hossein-Arab.jpgFuji.jpg

Hossein and Fuji ended up doing battle with The Jayhawks later that same night, but one has to wonder the motivation behind the attack?  Was it a paid hit?  Random violence?  More importantly...does that mean Maple Leaf Wrestling can expect a retaliatory attack from the West?

ITEM #5: Comings and Goings...

A few notable departures and arrivals in Maple Leaf Wrestling this week...

Pat Patterson was reportedly very disappointed that he and Dino Bravo were unable to defeat Big John Studd and Huge Tom Lintz in the first round of the International Tag Team Tournament.  Rumor has it that Patterson felt he let his younger partner down, and is considering transitioning into semi-retirement.  Patterson has apparently accepted a position with the World Wrestling Federation as an announcer, and will only be wrestling part time.  I for one hope this is not the last we have seen of Mr. Patterson in Toronto, as he has deep roots here in Maple Leaf Wrestling.

Cowboy Frankie Laine has returned to Maple Leaf Wrestling after an extended tour out west. (Where else would a Cowboy go?) 

Cowboy-Frankie-Laine.jpg

Laine is a long time Maple Leaf Wrestling star will be making his return this coming week against Moose Morowski in Stouffville, Ontario.  Laine will also be on the card for the big show coming up in Oshawa.

Fans will be sad to hear that the popular Cocoa Samoa has officially departed Maple Leaf Wrestling, having made his final appearance this past Saturday in St. Catherines.  It is my understanding that like Pat Patterson, Samoa was disheartened by his team with Sweet Daddy Siki being eliminated in the opening round of the Tag Team Tournament. The people seemed to really take a shine to the unique Samoan, but it must be said that Cocoa only experienced mixed success in Maple Leaf Wrestling and he has reportedly decided to try his luck in the Pacific Northwest. 

Speaking of popular...everybody is very excited about the signing of young Brian Adias.

Brian-Adidas.jpg

Adidas is a friend and ally of the famous Von Erich family from Texas, and after a couple of years experience there, he has decided to try his hand here in Maple Leaf Wrestling.  Having seen some footage of this young man, I can guarantee that it will not be long before the fans here in Ontario come to like him as much as they did in the Lone Star State.

Pat Patterson and Cocoa Samoa were both reportedly disappointed with their performance and subsequent elimination from the NWA International Tag Team Tournament.  One man who was apparently very upset that he never even made it into the tournament was young Salvatore Bellomo. As I reported a few weeks ago, Bellomo is actually a former Tag Team partner of none other than Iron Mike Sharpe and the two men actually experienced a great deal of success as a team.  Despite this history, Sharpe opted to pair with Goldie Rogers for the tournament (and we all saw how that went.)  Disheartened by this fact, and his relative lack of impact here in Maple Leaf Wrestling, Bellomo has departed the promotion.  I wish him all the best.

Finally this week...another huge announcement. Bruno Sammartino Jr. is making his return to Maple Leaf Wrestling.

BrunoJr.jpg

Not only is the popular young superstar returning, but it is my understanding that he intends to form an alliance with fellow Pro Wrestling progenies Kelly Kiniski and Whipper Watson Jr.! Think about the pedigree, fans.  Kiniski, the son of a former NWA World Heavyweight Champion and Watson, the son of a former NWA World Champion, and NWA British Empire Champion, now being joined in the same faction as the son of the most legendary WWWF World Heavyweight Champion of all time.  These three young men will truly prove to be a formidable force, and will be making their debut at the aforementioned spectacular event in Oshawa on March 20.  Yet another reason to get your tickets now, while you still can!

That's all for this week fans...we'll see you soon with more exciting news from Maple Leaf Wrestling...

smalllogo.jpg

Maple Leaf Wrestling
Stouffville, Ontario - Stouffville Arena
March 5, 1981
Paid Attendance: 450

• George Wells pinned Tim Gerrard after a shoulder tackle at 5:47
  • Iron Mike Sharpe & Goldie Rogers defeated The Marcus Brothers when Sharpe pinned J. Marcus after clubbing him over the head with his forearm brace at 9:17
  • Sweet Daddy Siki pinned Huge Tom Lintz at 19:22 after a rebound dropkick
  • Moose Morowski defeated Cowboy Frankie Laine by submission (bearhug) at 13:38
  • Kelly Kiniski & Whipper Watson Jr. defeated The Kelly Twins when Watson pinned P. Kelly at 24:36 with a flying bodypress

smalllogo.jpg

Maple Leaf Wrestling
Dundas, Ontario - Dundas Arena
March 6, 1981
Paid Attendance: 500

• Goldie Rogers pinned Bob Marcus at 7:13 following a side slam
  • Whipper Watson Jr. pinned Tim Gerrard at 8:42 with a flying bodypress
  • Moose Morowski pinned Joe Marcus at 9:33 with a powerslam
  • Iron Mike Sharpe defeated Cowboy Frankie Laine at 11:23 with a forearm shot to the back of the head with his forearm brace, from the second turnbuckle
  • Sweet Daddy Siki & George Wells defeated The Kelly Twins at 19:55 when Siki pinned Pat with a dropkick, while Wells flattened Mike following a shoulder tackle

MAPLE LEAF WRESTLING TV

Saturday March 7, 1981

tvlogo.jpg
(Taped from the Brampton Civic Center in Brampton, Ontario on 03/02/81)

We open to Mike McMan and Billy Red Lyons in front of the Maple Leaf Wrestling backdrop.  They welcome us to another exciting edition of Maple Leaf Wrestling on CHCH TV 11.  The announcers run down the card for this episode, and hype up the Main Event for today’s show.

announcers.jpg

Billy Red Lyons reminds the fans that the Main Event for today is The Della Serra Brothers, Bob and Rocky going against Dominic DeNucci and Tony “Cannonball” Parisi.

Mike McMan shows highlights of last week’s Quarterfinal match in the NWA International Tag Team Championship tournament, where Mike Rotundo and Johnny “Buzzsaw” Weaver defeated The Kelly Twins to advance in the Tournament.  

McMan reminds us that whoever wins the match this week will go on to face Rotundo and Weaver in the Semifinals at Maple Leaf Gardens on March 29.

Billy Red Lyons says it’s time to get to the action and we head to the ring.

Goldie-Rogers.jpg   VS.   Sweet-Daddy-Siki.jpg

Norm Kimber introduces Goldie Rogers, who is already in the ring.  As per usual, Goldie is preening and posing.

“It’s Hard To Be Humble” by Mac Davis starts to play over the sound system, and the fans cheer enthusiastically as Sweet Daddy Siki emerges from behind the curtain and makes his way to the ring.  Siki is resplendent in his sleeveless sequined jacket (complete with tails) along with his matching white boots, tights and gloves.  Siki is of course wearing his patented sunglasses and is holding a large bejewelled hand mirror.  Sweet Daddy Siki takes time to exchange high fives with many of the fans on his way down the aisle, but he also periodically stops to admire himself in the mirror as well.

Once Sweet Daddy Siki enters the ring, his music slowly fades and he takes a great deal of time to take off his jacket, stopping several times to check his hair.  As he does this, Norm Kimber makes the introductions, and once again Sweet Daddy gets a rousing reception from the fans, who have truly come to love and embrace the over-the-top superstar over his many years wrestling in the Toronto area.  An extra loud cheer goes up when Norm Kimber announces Sweet Daddy Siki as hailing from Toronto.

The bell rings to start the match.

Sweet Daddy Siki and Goldie Rogers go to lock up, but Rogers stops short, adjusts his hair and goes into a theatrical strut.  The fans are not impressed.  Rogers finally stops strutting, and consents to lock up...but this time Sweet Daddy Siki stops short and goes into a strut of his own.  The reaction from the fans is much different, as they enthusiastically cheer as Sweet Daddy confidently struts across the ring.

Mike McMan: “You know Billy, there is little doubt that these are the two most flamboyant...and it has to be said...the two most vain men in all of Maple Leaf Wrestling.”

Billy Red Lyons: “You’re right about that, Mike.  But poor Goldie just can’t get the level of love and admiration from these fans that they bestow on the legendary Sweet Daddy Siki.  He might be outrageous, but in the eyes of the fans he can do no wrong.”

Sweet Daddy Siki stops strutting, and he and Rogers finally go to lock up again...but Sweet Daddy once again stops suddenly.  Siki goes back to his corner, and grabs his mirror to check on his hair, while the fans laugh and cheer.  Goldie Rogers throws a comical temper tantrum in the middle of the ring...he is not used to being outperformed in this department.

Once Sweet Daddy Siki is sure his hair is perfect, the two men finally lock up.  The muscular Sweet Daddy manages to overpower Goldie Rogers and wrestles him to the mat.  Rogers scrambles away, and loudly accuses Siki of having pulled his hair.  While Rogers is protesting in vain to the referee, Sweet Daddy Siki launches himself into the air and hits Goldie Rogers with one of his patented dropkicks, sending him sailing over the top rope to the floor, much to the delight of the fans in the Brampton Civic Center.

Goldie Rogers throws another dramatic temper tantrum on the outside of the ring, hopping up and down, shouting at the referee and slamming his hands on the ring apron.  The referee exhorts Rogers to get back into the ring.  Finally Sweet Daddy Siki has waited long enough, and he rolls outside the ring and boots Goldie in the gut, folding him up like an accordion.  Sweet Daddy rolls Rogers back into the ring, and takes another minute to play to the fans before he rolls back in himself.

As soon as Sweet Daddy Siki is back in the ring, Goldie Rogers is ready for him.  Rogers rakes the eyes of Sweet Daddy Siki, and then starts to violently choke him with both hands.  The referee starts to administer a count, threatening to disqualify Goldie Rogers.  Rogers finally releases the choke, but begins to throw a flurry of punches to the head of Sweet Daddy Siki.

Suddenly, Sweet Daddy Siki stands up straight, and gives Goldie Rogers a dramatic stare.  Sweet Daddy Siki’s eyes are bugging out, and he starts to jog in place, shaking and dancing on the spot. The fans go nuts.  Goldie Rogers slowly backs up, begging off.  Sweet Daddy Siki grabs Goldie Rogers by the back of the head, and then hits him right between the eyes with his patented “Cocoa Butt!”  Rogers starts to stumble around the ring, flailing his arms.

Sweet Daddy Siki grabs Goldie Rogers by the arm, and whips him into the ropes.  As Rogers rebounds off, Sweet Daddy Siki launches into the air, and turns around to that Goldie Rogers collides directly with Sweet Daddy Siki’s rear end.  Goldie Rogers is launched backward from the impact, his arms and legs akimbo. As Goldie Rogers crumples to the mat, Sweet Daddy Siki performs a somersault in the air, landing directly on top of Goldie for the lateral press!  The referee slides in for the count...

One!  Two!  Three!

The bell rings as the cheers of the fans intensify...

Norm Kimber: “Here is your winner: SWEET DADDY SIKI!”

Sweet Daddy Siki rolls out of the ring, all smiles as Lord Athol Layton approaches with a microphone.  In the background we see a disoriented Goldie Rogers roll out of the ring, holding his head.  Rogers stumbles up the aisle to the dressing room.

Lord-Athol-Layton.jpg

Lord Athol Layton: “Another great victory for Sweet Daddy Siki!  Sweet Daddy, you’ve done it again and these fans couldn’t be happier!”

Sweet Daddy Siki: “Thank you very much, Lord Athol Layton.  You’re a classy man, you dress very nice and if it wasn’t for Sweet Daddy Siki, you might be the best looking man in all of Maple Leaf Wrestling.  And you’re right, these people are happy...and Sweet Daddy Siki is happy to make these people happy.  Because these are Sweet Daddy Siki’s people.  And I love all my people.  They know Sweet Daddy Siki for all these years. They know I am the woman’s pet and the man’s regret.  And do you know what I always hear from these people?”

Lord Athol Layton: “What’s that?”

Sweet Daddy Siki: “They come up to Sweet Daddy Siki at the airport.  They come up to Sweet Daddy Siki at the restaurant.  They come up to Sweet Daddy Siki on the street, and they always say the same thing.  First off they say “We Love You Sweet Daddy.”  But then they ask me...they say: “Sweet Daddy Siki, when are you going to beat that big, ugly nasty, smelly Big John Studd?  When are you going to take his Canadian Championship away, and send him packing?

And that’s a good question.  Frank Tunney, are you listening to these people?  These people love Sweet Daddy Siki.  And they hate that nasty Big John Studd.  Because that man is ugly. Big John Studd is so ugly, that when he looks in the mirror...his reflection throws up.  Big John Studd is so ugly, that when he goes swimming the tide don’t wanna bring him back in.  Big John Studd is so ugly that he makes onions cry.

The people don’t want no big, ugly, nasty, hairy, smelly, Big John Studd as their champion.  No sir.  Look at that face.  You don’t want that face on your posters.  You don’t want that face on your television.  That's bad for business.  You want Sweet Daddy Siki. Then the television ratings will skyrocket.  Then the people will line up around the block, just like they do every time Sweet Daddy Siki is on the show. The people want Sweet Daddy Siki as the Champion.  But we all know Big John Studd don’t want no part of Sweet Daddy Siki. Because he’s scared.  So Frank Tunney, you do the right thing.  You give these people what they want. You what is smart for your business. You give Sweet Daddy Siki what he wants.  You give me that Title Shot, and then we’ll send Big Ugly John Studd back to the freak show where he belongs...and it’ll be a beautiful world again.

Beautiful...just like Sweet Daddy Siki!”

Sweet Daddy Siki grins widely as the fans cheer loudly.  Siki heads back to the dressing room as we go to commercial...

~COMMERCIAL~

We return to see Tim Gerrard standing in the ring.  Across the ring from Gerrard, we see the none other than Bruno Sammartino Jr., who has made his return to Maple Leaf Wrestling.  Sammartino is jogging in place, and removes his ring jacket.  Sammartino is accompanied by Kelly Kiniski and Whipper Watson Jr., who shake his hand and pat him on the back, and then head outside and stand in his corner.

Tim-Gerrard.jpg   VS.   BrunoJr.jpg

Norm Kimber makes the introductions, informing the fans that this is a one fall match between Tim Gerrard and Bruno Sammartino Jr.  The fans give Sammartino a rousing reception.

Mike McMan: “The fans giving a warm welcome back to young Bruno Sammartino Jr.!  We haven’t seen Bruno Jr. here in quite some time, but both he and of course his father are fixtures here in Maple Leaf Wrestling.  Before Bruno Sammartino ever went to the World Wide Wrestling federation and became their Heavyweight Champion, he was one of the most popular stars here in Maple Leaf Wrestling.  So it only made sense that when his son decided to try his hand in the family business, he came here to Maple Leaf Wrestling to test his skills.”

Billy Red Lyons:  “That’s right Mike...and over the past year or so young Bruno Jr. has been travelling all over the world testing himself against top competition.  But now he has come home and the fans here couldn’t be happier to see him.”

As soon as the bell rings, Gerrard and Sammartino lock up.  The powerful youngster easily shoves Gerrard back to the mat, and follows up with a crushing elbow smash.  Sammartino pulls Gerrard back to his feet and then drives him right back into the canvas with a bodyslam.  Gerrard rolls over and gets on all fours and tries to crawl away...but Sammartino grabs him in a rear waistlock and hurls him back with a back suplex.  Tim Gerrard lands like a ton of bricks.  

Sammartino pulls Gerrard back to his feet.  Gerrard gamely tries to fight back and throws a series of weak looking forearm smashes to the chest of the burly young second generation superstar, but Sammartino basically shrugs them off. Sammartino grabs Gerrard by the arm and yanks him forward violently, right into a clothesline which almost takes Tim Gerrard right out of his boots.

Tim Gerrard is laying on the mat in a crumpled heap, twitching.  Bruno Sammartino Jr. reaches down, pulls Tim Gerrard to his feet and throws him into the ropes.  As Gerrard rebounds, Sammartino goes into a crouch and grabs Gerrard, putting him in a crushing bearhug!  The fans erupt, as Bruno Sammartino Jr. clamps his arms tight around Tim Gerrard and starts to violently shake him left and right, wrenching in the hold as he does.

Mike McMan: “Bearhug from Sammartino, and that’s a familiar sight, Billy Red!  That of course is the famous move used by his father to submit Buddy Rogers in under a minute and win the World Championship!”

Billy Red Lyons: “Look at poor Tim Gerrard!  He’s gone totally limp!  The referee checks his arm, and he is lifeless!  That’s all she wrote for Tim Gerrard!”

The referee calls for the bell, and Bruno Sammartino Jr. casually tosses the lifeless Gerrard aside in a heap, as the bell rings, the ref holds his arm in the air and Norm Kimber makes it official...

Norm Kimber: “Here is your winner: BRUNO SAMMARTINO JR!”

The fans are cheering enthusiastically as Tim Gerrard is helped out of the ring and dragged to the back.  Bruno Sammartino Jr. joins Whipper Watson Jr. and Kelly Kiniski at ringside and the three men exchange enthusiastic high fives.  Lord Athol Layton heads over with a microphone.

Lord-Athol-Layton.jpg

Lord Athol Layton: “What an impressive return for Bruno Sammartino Jr.!  Welcome back, Bruno!”

Bruno: “Thank you very much, Lord Athol Layton.  It’s great to be back here in Maple Leaf Wrestling and it’s great to see all these fans again.  And it’s great to have friends like Whipper and Kelly with whom I have so much in common.”

Lord Athol Layton:  “I was going to ask you about that.  Whipper, you boys seem to have formed quite an impressive alliance here, and I can’t help but wonder if there’s anybody in Maple Leaf Wrestling who can stop you!”

Whipper-Watson-Jr.jpg

Whipper Watson Jr.: “That’s right Lord Athol. You know, some men are afraid of their past.  Some men run away from their history, or hide from it.  Some men think that they have to stand in the shadows, if they are descended from great men.  Well you’re looking at three men who don’t think that way.

We’d be fools to deny who we are.  I know my father is probably the most famous man to ever wrestle in Maple Leaf Gardens.  My father set attendance records in Maple Leaf Wrestling that will probably never be broken, when he was the NWA British Empire Champion, and when he was the NWA World’s Heavyweight Champion. I know that.

And my friend Kelly Kiniski here...his father is probably the greatest Canadian Pro Wrestler in history.  His Dad Gene Kiniski wore the NWA World Heavyweight Championship with pride and defended it with honor.  He wasn’t just here in Toronto, he went all over the world and defended that title and made a name for himself, and proudly wore the name Canada across his chest wherever he went.

And then of course there is Bruno.  His father made his name here, long before he became a legend at Madison Square Garden.  But he went on to become the biggest WWWF Champion of all time.

We are the next generation of that great lineage.  Where are the continuation of that dynasty. And with all humility, we feel that we are the next evolution of that great heritage and between the three of us, we can take our family names on to even greater accomplishments and greater heights.  We plan to work hard, and eclipse even what our fathers accomplished...wait a minute...what do you want out here?”

The camera angle switches, and we see The Kelly Twins and Moose Morowski slowly walking down the aisle to the ring.  All three men are sneering and have disgusted looks on their faces.  Morowski snatches the microphone out of Watson’s hand.

Moose.jpg

Kelly-Twins.jpg

Moose Morowski: “Shut up, punk.  Nobody wants to hear some punk out here flapping his lips about his old broken down has-been father.”

The fans do not like this statement and boos and jeers start to rain down.

Moose Morowski: “You people shut up, too.  Now listen.  Ever since you punks showed up in Maple Leaf Wrestling, guys like me and guys like The Kelly Twins here been pushed to the side.  And we’re sick of it.”

The massive Kelly Twins stand behind Morowski and nod in unison, with their arms folded across their chests.

Moose: “You want to talk about history?  What about The Kelly Twins?  They were the longest reigning Tag Team Champions in Maple Leaf Wrestling, but ever since they have come back here they ain’t been getting the respect they are due.  Because people like Frank Tunney and Athol Layton and these fans have been too busy swooning over you punks.

And what about me?  I’ve been wrestling for 30 years.  30 years, I said.  I been Canadian Champion.  I been Tag Team Champion.  But where is my respect?  Where is my big interview?  Where’s all the fuss over me?  Let me tell you something...I wrestled all three of your daddies...and they were all chumps.  All of em.

Yeah, your fathers all won World Championships.  And they all lost them too.  You know what that makes them?  Losers.  And they’re all gone.  But I’m still here.  So if I can’t beat them up again and get my respect, if I can’t beat up all those old losers, then maybe I have to beat up the sons of losers.”

The fans are irate now, jeering loudly and throwing trash.  The Kelly Twins are still standing behind Moose Morowski, looking menacing...but they have been laughing uproariously as he insults the boys in front of him. Meanwhile, all the referees and several officials have come running from the backstage area and have attempted to insert themselves between the six men.

Suddenly, Kelly Kiniski reaches out and grabs the microphone.

Kelly-Kiniski.jpg

Kelly Kiniski: “What did you say about my father?  Who do you think you are?  You think you’re so tough? Prove it!  These Kelly Twins want more respect?  Earn it!  In fact...I hear we have a big show coming up in Oshawa, a week from this Friday.  I want to issue a challenge.  The Kelly Twins and Moose Morowski against the three of us...in the middle of that ring, next Friday night in Oshawa.

But since you want to be such a big mouth, I say why wait until then?  We can always start now!”

The fans erupts as Kelly Kiniski drops the microphone and throws a wild haymaker punch at Moose Morowski. The Kelly Twins charge forward and start to brawl with Bruno Sammartino Jr. and Whipper Watson Jr.  All six men spread out next to the ring, and start pummelling each other with wild punches as the fans blow the roof off the Brantford Civic Center.

A herd of referees and officials charge down the aisle from the backstage area and start trying to pull apart the combatants.

Mike McMan: “Total chaos has broken out here on Maple Leaf Wrestling, as The Second Generation Superstars are brawling with Moose Morowski and The Kelly Twins!”

Billy Red Lyons: “The officials are trying to contain this situation...we are going to go to commercial and hopefully when we return, things will be returned to some type of order!”

~COMMERCIAL~

We come back from commercial to see Mike McMan and Billy Red Lyons.

Mike McMan: “Welcome back fans.  While we were in the break, officials managed to separate Bruno Sammartino Jr., Whipper Watson Jr., and Kelly Kiniski from Moose Morowski and The Kelly Twins and escort all six men to the back.”

Billy Red Lyons: “Meanwhile, it’s been confirmed...these six men will meet in a big Six Man Tag Match next Friday Night when Maple Leaf Wrestling returns to Oshawa.  You want to get your tickets for that show now fans.  With the big Abdullah The Butcher and The Sheik vs. Blackjack and Bullwhip match in the Main Event, you just know that show is going to sell out fast.”

Mike McMan: “Speaking of the NWA International Tag Team Tournament fans, it’s time for our Main Event fans.  Let’s go to the ring!”

THE MAIN EVENT

Bob-And-Rocky-Della-Serra.jpg   VS.  Parisi-Denucci.jpg

QUARTERFINAL MATCH IN THE NWA INTERNATIONAL TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT

The camera shot returns to the ring, where we see both teams already waiting in their respective corners.

Norm Kimber: "Ladies and Gentlemen this next bout is our Main Event of the evening and is a Quarterfinal match in the Tournament to determine the new NWA International Tag Team Champions!  The winner of this match will advance to the Semifinals at Maple Leaf Gardens on March 29, where they will face the team of Mike Rotundo and Johnny Weaver!”

The fans cheer in appreciation:

Norm Kimber: “The match is Tag Team contest scheduled for one fall with a 20 minute time limit or TV time remaining. Introducing first, in the corner to my left...from Montreal, at a combined weight of 490 pounds here are Rocky and Bob Della Serra!"

The fans boo loudly, as The Della Serra Brothers turn and actually act surprised at the negative reaction they are receiving from the crowd.  Rocky gives the “up yours” gesture to the fans as Norm Kimber turns towards the other corner.

Norm Kimber: “Their opponents, in the opposite corner...from Italy and Niagara Falls respectively, at a combined weight of 430 pounds here are Dominic DeNucci and Tony “Cannonball” Parisi!”

The fans cheer loudly as the two favorites hold up their arms to acknowlege the cheers.  The two men remove their ring jackets as the Norm Kimber exits and the bell rings to start the match. The referee orders both teams to pick a man to stay in the ring.  Tony "Cannonball" Parisi heads to the apron, as does Rocky Della Serra.  We have Dominic DeNucci and Bob Della Serra in the ring to start the match, and the fans are all stomping their feet and clapping their hands in excitement.  The ref calls for the bell, and we’re underway!

Dominic DeNucci immediately starts to unleash a series of chops aimed at the chest and torso of Bob Della Serra, who answers back with a series of overhead forearm smashes to the back.  DeNucci is fighting gamely, but Bob Della Serra is so big he knocks DeNucci to the mat.  Bob Della Serra steps back, measures DeNucci off, and then delivers a kick right to the chest of DeNucci!  The crowd gasps at the sight of the big man violently booting Dominic DeNucci as hard as he can.

Mike McMan: "That’s vicious!  Bob Della Serra just kicked Dominic DeNucci right in the chest!"

Billy Red Lyons: "Sadly, I don’t think Bob Della Serra and Rocky Della Serra are going to be known for their fair play here.  Both brothers have the potential to be ruthless."

The crowd boos mercilessly as DeNucci rolls on the mat, holding his ribs. DeNucci rolls too close to the opposing corner, and from the apron, Rocky Della Serra grabs DeNucci and forcefully lifts him to his feet. DeNucci's arms go up in a defensive cover up position over his face, but Bob Della Serra drives a boot into his gut, doubling him over. The crowd boos the double team.

Bob Della Serra looks carefully as DeNucci staggers to his feet. DeNucci rushes at him somewhat groggily. DeNucci manages to grab Bob Della Serra and tries weakly to hoist Bob Della Serra up with a German Suplex, but Bob Della Serra grabs the top rope, and Rocky Della Serra calls for the referee to break it.

DeNucci starts to back off but Bob Della Serra hammers across his back with a double axe handle smash, and then connects with an upper cut to the chin as he drops to a knee to deliver it. DeNucci spins around but stays on his feet, walking as he turns right into Bob Della Serra who delivers a belly-to-belly suplex!

Mike McMan: "Bob Della Serra starting things off for his team nicely using his power to his advantage, Billy."

Billy Red Guy: "That is what he brings to the table, Bob is definitely the more powerful of the two brothers."

Dominic DeNucci tries to get up right away,  but falls back against the ropes. Bob Della Serra rushes at him and lifts a knee aiming for the mid-section but DeNucci side-steps it and as Bob Della Serra hits the ropes chest first DeNucci hands find the underside of Bob Della Serra's chin and he drops straight down, delivering the neckbreaker! DeNucci gets to his feet a bit sluggishly and steps towards his own corner. Bob Della Serra in the meantime, well aware of the situation simply reaches a hand up and across and Rocky Della Serra slaps it.

Rocky Della Serra springs into the ring and runs across at DeNucci, delivering a clothesline to the back of his head. DeNucci falls forward, and his fingers just scrape the outstretched hand of Tony "Cannonball" Parisi, and the fans erupt!

Parisi propels himself over the top rope and lands right in front of Rocky Della Serra. Parisi fires off a hard right which connects, driving Rocky Della Serra backward. Tony "Cannonball" Parisi moves in with another hard right, hitting again, knocking Rocky Della Serra into the middle of the ring. Parisi grabs the arm of Rocky Della Serra and Irish Whips him into the ropes. Rocky Della Serra bounces off hard and Parisi nails him with a perfectly timed clothesline!

Mike McMan: "Tony "Cannonball" Parisi goes for the cover!

One…

No!

Easy kickout by Rocky Della Serra."

Billy Red Lyons: "You cannot expect to keep Rocky Della Serra down so early. He’s too strong."

Both men climb to their feet and Tony "Cannonball" Parisi connects with another punch to the jaw of Rocky Della Serra, then follows it up with a series of blows which Rocky Della Serra unsuccessfully tries to fend off. The result has Rocky Della Serra dazed, leaning back against the ropes and Parisi clotheslines him up and over the top rope! In an amazing display of balance, Rocky Della Serra actually lands on his feet but takes a few steps back trying to maintain it. Parisi grabs a hold of the top rope and flies over it, landing on Rocky Della Serra with a cross body block…and they both spill to the floor!

The fans are on their feet, cheering as the announcers show a replay of Tony "Cannonball" Parisi launching himself over the top rope onto Rocky Della Serra. As we go back to live action, both Dominic DeNucci and Bob Della Serra pound the turnbuckles, trying fruitlessly to revive their teammates who lay outside the ring. Inside the ring the referee’s hands fly into the air as he loudly shouts out his count.

Bob Della Serra is the closest to the place outside the ring where the two men lay.  Bob Della Serra looks like he is about to jump down, and give them an unwanted hand.  Dominic DeNucci stares over at Bob Della Serra and steps through the ropes suddenly, sprinting across the ring heading for Bob Della Serra. Bob Della Serra sees Dominic DeNucci coming and drops off the apron, pointing to the referee and yelling at him, telling him to deal with Dominic DeNucci.

As Dominic DeNucci tries to fight his way through the official, Bob Della Serra runs around to where the two others lie, helps Rocky Della Serra to his feet, rolling him into the ring. Heflin sees this over DeNucci's shoulder and starts to shout at Bob Della Serra to get back to his corner. Bob Della Serra holds his hands up in the air and goes back to his corner as the ref is about to convince DeNucci to go back to his own corner.

Mike McMan: "Excellent job by the official there to maintain order in this match."

Billy Red Lyons: "Trying to maintain control in a match featuring The Della Serra Brothers is an uphill battle."

Tony "Cannonball" Parisi has now managed to crawl to his feet and roll into the ring. As he rolls into the ring, Rocky Della Serra grabs his arm and yanks him to his feet, tossing him into the Della Serra corner with some serious authority. Parisi slumps down into a sitting position and Rocky Della Serra runs at him and delivers a running knee smash right to the face of Tony "Cannonball" Parisi!  The crowd gasps loudly at the sight of Rocky Della Serra nailing Tony "Cannonball" Parisi with the precision move.

Rocky Della Serra tags in Bob Della Serra and then props Parisi up, leaving him open for the shot to the gut that Bob Della Serra delivers. Bob Della Serra grabs Parisi as he drops to a single knee, puts Parisi's arm around his shoulders, and delivers a suplex!

Billy Red Lyons: "Another punishing move delivered by Bob Della Serra…and a cover!

ONE!

TWO!

Kickout by Tony "Cannonball" Parisi!"

Mike McMan: "Nobody can question Parisi's heart."

Bob Della Serra looks down as Parisi slowly gets up to his feet. Tony "Cannonball" Parisi, visibly wavering on his feet, throws an awkward punch at Bob Della Serra that misses and sends him spinning around. Bob Della Serra grabs Parisi from behind in a full nelson and launches Parisi up into the air as he falls back. Parisi's neck hits the mat at an odd angle and his body goes limps as he skids a few feet after impact.

Bob Della Serra slides to the mat and hooks Parisi's leg.

ONE!

TWO!

Mike McMan: "DeNucci jumped into the ring and broke up the count and now he's going after Bob Della Serra!"

Dominic DeNucci knocks Bob Della Serra off Parisi and then gets on top of him, beginning to pound away at Bob Della Serra without any control. Rocky Della Serra quickly gets into the ring and pulls DeNucci off of his tag team partner. Dominic DeNucci turns to face Rocky Della Serra and lifts him clear off the mat with a devastating uppercut. Bob Della Serra is on his feet now and he spins Dominic DeNucci around and is about to lay into him when his face turns to shock…as Tony "Cannonball" Parisi sneaks up behind and executes a school boy roll up!

ONE!

TWO!

Bob Della Serra escapes!

The referee shouts at Dominic DeNucci to leave the ring, who does so grudgingly as Rocky Della Serra lies in the corner of the ring still trying to recover his senses. Bob Della Serra jumps right up, furious at the attempted sneakiness from Tony "Cannonball" Parisi, and knocks Parisi straight to the mat with a short arm clothesline.

Parisi pops right back up however and ducks a second clothesline. Parisi fires a kick at the side of Bob Della Serra, but the bigger man grabs Parisi's foot and pulls as hard as he can, wrenching his leg and sending Cannonball crashing to the mat. As he starts to get up, Cannonball executes a desperation “chop block” and takes Bob Della Serra’s legs out from under him.  Parisi starts to crawl to his corner.

Dominic McMan: "This is Parisi's chance to bring in DeNucci!"

Billy Red Lyons: "Parisi needs this tag badly!"

Parisi lunges and tags in DeNucci and the roof blows off the Brantford Civic Center as DeNucci quickly gets into the ring! Bob Della Serra is on his feet now and faces Dominic DeNucci, who hits Della Serra with a spinning forearm smash that sends them both down to the mat! Dominic DeNucci gets up quickly and immobilizes the head and shoulder of Bob Della Serra as he brings him to his feet. DeNucci lifts Bob Della Serra up and with a huge effort powers him over with a suplex!  The crowd roars at sight of DeNucci slamming Bob Della Serra to the mat, back first.

Dominic DeNucci releases Bob Della Serra on impact and staggers to his feet, holding his back in pain. DeNucci takes a few steps back and then the fans go nuts as DeNucci leaps on top of Bob Della Serra, pinning him down to the mat, and sending a barrage of punches at him.

Rocky Della Serra gets into the ring and rushes in to break up the beating, but Tony "Cannonball" Parisi intercepts him with a dropkick that knocks Rocky to the mat. DeNucci continues to unleash on Bob Della Serra, delivering three or four successive blows straight to the face. In the middle of the ring Rocky Della Serra ducks a clothesline from Tony "Cannonball" Parisi and runs and leaps on top of Dominic DeNucci, trying to pin his arms so he can't keep hitting his brother.

Bob Della Serra, somewhat dazed from the beating DeNucci gave him lays mostly still as the struggle ensues just a few feet away from him. Suddenly Tony "Cannonball" Parisi flies into the picture, dropping an elbow on the struggle between Rocky Della Serra and DeNucci, hitting both of them!

Billy Red Lyons: "Tony "Cannonball" Parisi may have made a critical mistake there, Mike. He missed Rocky Della Serra and partially got DeNucci! Now everybody is down!"

The crowd watches on pins and needles as all three men slowly recover. The referee has sent Parisi out of the ring, and then tries to get Rocky Della Serra to crawl to his own corner. Bob Della Serra drags himself to his feet at roughly the same time as DeNucci. They lunge at each other, tying up a second time.

DeNucci tries to push Bob Della Serra back into the turnbuckle but Bob Della Serra is just too big and too strong.  Bob Della Serra smashes DeNucci over the head with an elbow. Dominic DeNucci gasps in shock and falls to the mat. Bob Della Serra takes the time to go over and tag out to Rocky Della Serra, while Dominic DeNucci lies on the mat.

Rocky Della Serra stands over Dominic DeNucci with a big smirk on his face. Finally, Rocky Della Serra reaches down, dragging DeNucci back up to his feet and stunning him with a forearm shot to the head. He pushes Dominic DeNucci against the ropes and then sends him flying into the opposites ropes. DeNucci comes off and gets taken down with a perfect drop toehold.

In an instant Rocky Della Serra is on his feet and flips DeNucci over, grabbing his legs. Rocky Della Serra gets a cocky smile on his face and tries to turn DeNucci over, who fights it. With one powerful movement Rocky Della Serra gets Dominic DeNucci over and continues to hold DeNucci’s legs while he sits back! DeNucci immediately yells in pain!

Billy Red Lyons: "Rocky Della Serra has DeNucci locked in a Boston crab!"

Dominic McMan: "Look at his face!  Rocky Della Serra seems to be getting quite a thrill from trying to make Dominic DeNucci beg for him to stop!"

DeNucci pushes himself up, and tries to walk on his hands towards the ropes. He gets a bit closer to the ropes, but the smiling Rocky Della Serra simply applies more pressure to his back and DeNucci collapses back to the mat. On the apron, Tony "Cannonball" Parisi begins lifting his arms, gathering the crowd behind DeNucci, who is clearly screaming in pain as this crippling submission hold goes on.  Dominic DeNucci once again props himself up and in two quick hand steps and a lunge grasps a hold of the bottom rope!

Mike McMan: "He got it!"

Billy Red Lyons: “He reached the bottom rope, Della Serra must release the hold!”

Rocky Della Serra releases the hold, shrugs, and walks over to his corner, tagging in Bob Della Serra. DeNucci pulls himself along the bottom rope towards one of the neutral turnbuckles, slowly getting up. As he turns around, Bob Della Serra is right there, and surprises him by throwing him into the far ropes with an Irish Whip. However, Bob Della Serra doesn't realize how close to the corner DeNucci got and as he bounces off DeNucci raises his arm and Tony "Cannonball" Parisi slaps Dominic DeNucci on the hand tagging himself in!

The fans erupt again, but Bob Della Serra still guns for DeNucci, clinching him in a belly-to-belly suplex hold. But before he can send DeNucci into orbit, Parisi leaps around and delivers a violent punch to the kidneys of Bob Della Serra, causing him to release the hold. DeNucci drops to a knee and quickly rolls out of the ring.

Billy Red Lyons: "Tony "Cannonball" Parisi just saved Dominic DeNucci."

Mike McMan: "Rocky Della Serra did so much damage with that perfectly applied Boston Crab, he may have effectively taken DeNucci out of this match!"

Tony "Cannonball" Parisi grabs Bob Della Serra's head and drives it into the mat with a bulldog. Parisi scales up the turnbuckles and waits while Bob Della Serra gets to his feet, facing opposite of Parisi. The fans come to their feet, because they know Parisi is in position for his patented Cannonball manoeuvre! Slowly Bob Della Serra turns and Parisi jumps off, but Bob Della Serra moves out of the way! Tony "Cannonball" Parisi hits the mat hard and Bob Della Serra staggers over and brings in Rocky Della Serra! 

Tony Parisi has missed the Cannonball!

Bob Della Serra locks Tony Parisi in a front facelock, while Rocky climbs the turnbuckles to the top rope!  Dominic DeNucci is desperate to enter the ring, but the referee is right there, ordering him to stay put.  While Bob Della Serra keeps Parisi locked in a front facelock, Rocky leaps from the top rope and lands knee first right on top of Tony Parisi, hitting him in the kidneys and driving him face first to the canvas!  Tony “Cannonball” Parisi collapses lifeless on the mat, while Rocky makes the cover!  Dominic DeNucci tries to enter the ring, but Bob Della Serra cuts him off.

The referee slides down for the count...

One!

Two!

Three!

The bell rings, and boos rain down as the Norm Kimber makes it official...

Norm Kimber: “Here are your winners, and advancing to the Semifinals of the NWA International Tag Team Championship Tournament: THE DELLA SERRA BROTHERS!”

For some reason, Rocky and Bob Della Serra start to stomp and kick the fallen Tony Parisi.  Dominic DeNucci enters the ring, and the two brothers turn on him and start to clobber the veteran with punches and kicks while Parisi still lies motionless on the mat.

The Della Serra Brothers pull Dominic DeNucci by the arms and forcibly tie him up in the ropes.  As DeNucci struggles, The Della Serra Brothers go back to ruthlessly stomping on Tony “Cannonball” Parisi. Bob Della Serra rolls out of the ring, grabs a wooden folding chair and slides back in.  Della Serra holds the chair high over his head, and smashes it down on the head of the helpless Dominic DeNucci!

The fans are incensed and are jeering so loud you can barely hear the announcers.  Rocky Della Serra takes the chair under his arm and heads back to the top rope, and then Bob pulls the unconscious Tony Parisi to his feet. Once again, Bob puts the lifeless Cannonball in a front facelock, and now Rocky leaps off the top rope and drives the folded chair right into the back of the neck of Tony “Cannonball” Parisi!

Mike McMan: “What kind of man does this to his opponent after he’s already beaten him, and basically tortures him?  What kind of men are these Della Serra Brothers?”

Billy Red Lyons:  “This is a total disgrace, and our fans here are on the verge of rioting!’

Rocky Della Serra gets to his feet after leaping off the top rope with his chair and is joined by Bob Della Serra, and the two men start to stomp Tony "Cannonball" Parisi further into the mat. Rocky Della Serra and Bob Della Serra continue to beat the hell out of Parisi, to the boos of the fans.

Suddenly, the crowd goes wild!

Dino Bravo charges down the aisle from the dressing room.  He is in street clothes, but he is carrying a folding chair of his own! Bravo slides into the ring, and starts to swing the chair over his head!  The chair cracks both Bob Della Serra and Rocky Della Serra upside the head as Bravo swings it like a crazy man!  The fans go nuts cheering, and finally Bob Della Serra and Rocky Della Serra bail out of the ring and head up the aisle Bravo brandishes the chair, with fire in his eyes.

Dino-Bravo.jpg

Tony "Cannonball" Parisi is still lifeless on the mat, as Dino Bravo frees the helpless Dominic DeNucci from the ropes.  Both men rush to the fallen Parisi.  Rocky and Bob Della Serra are still in the aisle and is going nuts, pointing at Bravo and shouting something.

Mike McMan: “I really don’t understand Rocky and Bob Della Serra.  They won this match, cleanly.  Why would they do that to Tony Parisi?”

Billy Red Lyons: “I don’t know Mike, but I get the feeling this issue isn’t over, tournament or no tournament.  And unfortunately, we have run out of time! See you next week fans, here on Maple Leaf Wrestling!”

smalllogo.jpg

On 3/2/2021 at 10:20 PM, Dr. Dunk said:

David heading to Toronto should be a good thing for him. I really like that trio.

Thanks very much.  I always felt bad for David Sammartino, he was in the WWF when I was watching in the early 80's.  He wasn't bad, but he didn't have his Dad's charisma.  He kind of floundered around, and never really made it.  We'll see if I can change that here. ;)

20 hours ago, Dr. Dunk said:

I thought the Kelly Twins would be the top team here. Boy was I wrong!

By the early 80's the Kelly Twins were pretty much done as serious names, for all intents and purposes. They had been huge in Maple Leaf Wrestling back in the 70's, they had a big ongoing rivalry with Dewey Robertson and Billy Red Lyons.  They moved on to the AWA, St. Louis and Dick The Bruiser's territory where they had some success, but they never really caught on when they returned to Toronto. I always had a soft spot for them, but in reality they ended up working for Dave McKigney's "Big Bear Promotions" which was an independent organization that ran opposite Maple Leaf Wrestling.   One of them was in the car and was killed in the same accident that killed Adrian Adonis.  When I first drafted them, I thought I'd use them more prominently, but I got lucky and got some really good talent during the draft, so they didn't end up being as vital for me as I thought.

After the angle I wrote on TV this week, I think I'll use them more now against Watson, Kiniski and Sammartino.