Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - February 17, 2021

MoS

3 minutes ago, MoS said:

So Omega's gimmick is that he is a moron and a dumbass easily manipulated by people around him in the most transparent way possible. Exactly what you want for your world champ!

I was taking it more as he's being fake in pretending he doesn't know what's going on. 

4 minutes ago, MoS said:

So Omega's gimmick is that he is a moron and a dumbass easily manipulated by people around him in the most transparent way possible. Exactly what you want for your world champ!

Eh, I see it more as him being in on the manipulation. I think he was pretending to want to help the Bucks. 

5 minutes ago, MoS said:

He has like the best look of any wrestler on TV though

No doubt!

My comments have mostly been negative tonight, but this was a great week for in-ring action. Really every match delivered tonight.

And a great ending to the night! What the fuck??!? An exploding barb wire match finally on US soil? 

Man, Mox bloodies Omega with that headbutt and Omega fucking lays into him with those knees and JR is blabbing about Omega’s boots. Jesus Christ. 

1 hour ago, Log said:

My comments have mostly been negative tonight, but this was a great week for in-ring action. Really every match delivered tonight. 

Same. I wasn't a fan of the non-ring parts of this episode, but every match was great, and the main event was killer.

Also the trademark FMW match for Revolution's main event? It's like they are trolling good brother @NintendoLogic

One of the best parts of their last death match was Renee live tweeting while living and dying on every bump Jon took.

I'm hoping this leads to Onita showing up at some point. I mean, if you're going to have an exploding barbed wire death match you should call the professionals.

I see this episode of Dynamite being praised a lot on Twitter, but I'm just not seeing it. So Page brought out a mascot with plans for the mascot to turn on him?

Jack Evans and Angelico also had a really rough night in the ring.

FTR vs Sydals didn't really hook me like FTR matches usually do, probably because Mike Sydal seemed pretty green.

Orange Cassidy hasn't done much since the Jericho feud. The feud got him over, but it feels like they had no ideas for him after that. It's weird that last week he broke up a wedding and there was no real follow-up this week. Not even an appearance from Miro and Sabian.

I'm not a fan of production-assisted run-ins like Jurassic Express did either, with the lights going out and everyone pausing what they're doing. That's too WWE. Plus the babyfaces have a 3-2 advantage?

On the plus side, Moxley and Kingston should do every wrestling promo. And Riho vs Deeb was very good.

I usually enjoy Dynamite as a way to pass the time, but wasn't feeling it this week.

2 minutes ago, Loss said:

I see this episode of Dynamite being praised a lot on Twitter, but I'm just not seeing it. So Page brought out a mascot with plans for the mascot to turn on him?

Jack Evans and Angelico also had a really rough night in the ring.

FTR vs Sydals didn't really hook me like FTR matches usually do, probably because Mike Sydal seemed pretty green.

Orange Cassidy hasn't done much since the Jericho feud. The feud got him over, but it feels like they had no ideas for him after that. It's weird that last week he broke up a wedding and there was no real follow-up this week. Not even an appearance from Miro and Sabian.

I'm not a fan of production-assisted run-ins like Jurassic Express did either, with the lights going out and everyone pausing what they're doing. That's too WWE. Plus the babyfaces have a 3-2 advantage?

On the plus side, Moxley and Kingston should do every wrestling promo. And Riho vs Deeb was very good.

I usually enjoy Dynamite as a way to pass the time, but wasn't feeling it this week.

Yeah, as I said, I was not a fan of the out-of-ring stuff, none of which really hooked me at all. And thank you for pointing out that ridiculous mascot thing; I thought it made zero sense. The matches though were really good imo. And anytime I have Mox and King cutting promos on my screen, I am good

To give Omega some credit, that was actually a decent promo to end the show. There were a couple of moments where it seemed like he was taking the piss but he quickly reigned it in and just cut a straight-up promo.

Overall, I thought the entire show was lacking. The only match I cared to see was Serena and Riho and of course they threw it into the middle of the show where they had an ad-break ruin the flow of the match. The rest of the card was just filled with match-ups that I didn't care to see. Even something like Bucks/Santana-Ortiz which should be a big deal felt lacking because Santana-Ortiz have been woefully out of form and have done nothing to earn their opportunity.

I understand the show was all about promoting Revolution, but they could have done a much better job of balancing it.

I don't understand the Deeb Riho match. Why was Deeb selling her knee so much? And was checked by a doctor during the break? I didnt see Riho focusing on the knee during her moves. I admit I dont really understand AEW ring psychology myself, but I do enjoy reading other people's explanations of it in their match reviews.

6 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

I don't understand the Deeb Riho match. Why was Deeb selling her knee so much? And was checked by a doctor during the break? I didnt see Riho focusing on the knee during her moves. I admit I dont really understand AEW ring psychology myself, but I do enjoy reading other people's explanations of it in their match reviews.

She was wearing a big brace on that knee. Also, the commentators spent a good chunk of the early part of the match talking about how her knee seemed to be hurt. 

Kenny Omega has such a weird style of promo. It's like he is playing a part in a crappy "B" level movie. It's really weird but sometimes it hits and sometimes it misses.

I love Kingston that man should cut a promo every single week and I will be happy. Talk about someone who changed his entire career. AEW was smart to sign him. I still don't really care about the stable with Butcher, Blade and Bunny but it is what it is.

I am digging this ladder match but I really hope Cody doesn't win it. If anyone needs a heel turn it is him. I really want Scorpio Sky to get the victory so far before they announce the other participants.

I popped for Sting taking that Powerbomb. 

Kenny Omega has such a weird style of promo. It's like he is playing a part in a crappy "B" level movie. It's really weird but sometimes it hits and sometimes it misses.

Listening to it again, it does start off cheesy and Omega rushed through everything he was saying. However, he did eventually convey passion, sold a fight and didn't do anything goofy afterwards to undermine the segment.

1 hour ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Eddie Kingston has been awesome but I hate seeing him lose so much. Maybe there will be a face turn coming up and partnership with Moxley but either way I’d like to see him win some matches. 

They mentioned on commentary something along the lines of "maybe Moxley wants the friendship again" and AEW usually drops hints like that for a reason so I would expect a Kingston face turn at some point. 

In fact that would be a great way to build the Omega match. Mox gets beat up by Kenny's goons until Eddie comes out to save his bro, and who better to have your back in a death match than Kingston?

Stuff I got out of this week's episode :

1/ I forgot how fucking good Riho was, as that match with Deeb (such a joy to watch) was dope

2/ Kenny Omega is the WWE champion

3/ Neck injuries have been cured all over the map.

4/ Maybe by the time I'm 70, if I live that long, Brandy & Cody's daughter will win the AEW Women's title at Revolution for the first time and I'll remember this moment, while the same year, Charlotte will headline WrestleMania against Bailey & some girl from NXT Emirates (as the show will air from Abou Dabi) and win her 775th WWE women's title.

5/ AEW is running a 4/4 Kawasaki Stadium no-rope-explosive-barb-wire death-match in 2021 and the old Onita fan in me just lost his mind

I kind of think now that maybe the reason for Deeb having the big brace on the knee and being checked by the doctor during the break and selling it so much was because somebody thought as the NWA women's champion she needed an excuse for why she was being eliminated in the first round of the tournament.  Putting together tournament brackets for wrestling can be kind of difficult and I have heard that you book the final match first and then work backwards from there. We dont know what the semifinals and finals will be yet, but perhaps to get to the matches they wanted, they realized that if they wanted Deeb as part of tournament, she would need to be eliminated in the first round. It makes sense from the perspective of the promoter who is using NWA talent that they dont want to make the NWA champ look like a total jobber losing in the first round. In that sense, having Riho be the one to eliminate her is logical since Riho is a former champ herself. When added to the pre-existing knee injury, it makes Deeb look less weak in losing. It does seem like strange bracketing from a kayfabe perspective that there is a match in the first round that seems like it would make a just as good tournament final. 

One good thing about having so many face vs face and heel vs heel matches and so many tweener characters that it makes it harder to guess how tournaments like this are going to go.