Pro Wrestling Only

Young Rock: A New NBC Sitcom About the Life of Dwayne Johnson

C.S.

Last nights episode was riddled with timeline insanity. He called blue blood Triple H, The Game. He performed "The Rock Concert" while he was still in the Nation of Domination, and they created a wrestler that didn't exist.

But my personal favorite part was when they showed the outside of one of the buildings for an episode of Raw, they showed the exterior of the WVU Colisseum in my hometown of Morgantown, West Virginia. Which has never hosted a Raw, or any WWE event, or any wrestling event ever! So they apparently just randomly picked some stock footage of a building that looked like it might have hosted a wrestling show or something.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/20/2022 at 5:48 PM, Migs said:

One thing bothering me on this show that I'm struggling to research - what is the story with Rocky Johnson in Saudi Arabia leading to him getting turfed by the WWF? It seems like it may be sorta true based on the accounts online but nothing is actually descriptive on what happened.

It seems to be that he was accused of rape and the story got out so they canned him. Dude was a real piece of work:
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2000-10-14-0010140209-story.html

Allegation upon allegation surfaced, each one more disturbing than the last: sexual activity in a back room, unwanted groping of a female employee, illicit discussions of sexual anatomy in front of children, even an invitation to a 12-year-old girl to play strip poker.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:29 PM, Blehschmidt said:

Last nights episode was riddled with timeline insanity. He called blue blood Triple H, The Game. He performed "The Rock Concert" while he was still in the Nation of Domination, and they created a wrestler that didn't exist.

But my personal favorite part was when they showed the outside of one of the buildings for an episode of Raw, they showed the exterior of the WVU Colisseum in my hometown of Morgantown, West Virginia. Which has never hosted a Raw, or any WWE event, or any wrestling event ever! So they apparently just randomly picked some stock footage of a building that looked like it might have hosted a wrestling show or something.

The show has a lot of flaws but I mean so does most of these biographic shows. I just assumed they are just embellishing to make a tv show cause I mean who honestly wants to watch this show have a historic view that sounds worse than the show itself. How it’s still getting episodes is beyond me, but for all the flaws they explained the wrestler that didn’t exist in the episode. He explained in a voiceover during that episode that the character was made to protect whoever the real guy was in real life because Chad Frost went to Vince and buried The Rock and he didn’t want to say the guys real identity in his show. 

Everyone on Reddit suggests it was HBK that was Chad Frost. 

I feel like the show must be near the end anyway. For the adult Rock segments they have gone very quickly from his debut to Summerslam 98, so I am guessing very soon we will jump to him winning the title and then to Main Eventing Wrestlemania. By this point the origin story is pretty much over, he is already The Rock. I mean by this point he is already famous. The only reason I can see them doing another season is to talk about his transition to Hollywood, but how long can he be considered "Young" for? The story is basically told.

4 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Yeah, " Chad Frost" was definitely an HBK stand-in.

55 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Not really sure what the point of such a thinly veiled stand-in was. The story of HBK trying to kill Rock's push is well-known enough that seemingly everybody who watched the episode was able to put two and two together.

I think The Rock and Shawn Michaels are on good terms these days, so Rock probably didn't want to directly call Shawn out.

Plus, remember, Shawn is in charge of Simone Johnson's WWE career now.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:18 AM, Rah said:

It seems to be that he was accused of rape and the story got out so they canned him. Dude was a real piece of work:
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2000-10-14-0010140209-story.html

That story is about year 2000 incidents. Are you saying he was fired in ‘85 because of rape allegations. And if so is there a source?

• 2 weeks later...

The Godfather just verbally bitchslapped The Rock around like one of his hos.

From The Attitude Era Podcast:

“F**k Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. That Mot**rf**ker should never had Ceelo f**king Green portray me. I’m 6 foot 7, ok, and they portrayed me as somebody who’s 6 foot 1.”

“So, f**k the Rock, f**k him, m**herf**ker, f**k that ba**ard, , that mo**erf**ker f*cking 3 inches shorter than me and had me 5 inches shorter than me. F**k The Rock.”

Transcript source: https://itrwrestling.com/news/wwe-hof-blasts-dwayne-johnson-young-rock/

Without listening to the podcast, it's possible Godfather is smiling, laughing, and joking around. I hope so, for both their sakes. Otherwise, this sounds like an unhinged rant (even though Ceelo Green is indeed terrible casting).

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, TheDuke said:

This week they had The Rock try to get into a locker room brawl with Lars Anderson in 1986 on a Peter Maivia Tribute show in Hawaii which featured Macho Man and Andre the Giant, and Cyndi Lauper sang the national anthem.

The part with a young Dwayne getting into it with Lars at the big tribute show happened in real life. I remember reading about that years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was sadder to learn Grand Crew got the axe too. It wasn't a great show, not necessarily worth a "Save Grand Crew" campaign, but Carl Tart is one of my CBB faves so I'm always rooting for him and I liked seeing him on TV.

Here's hoping that the door closing on that show means a window is opening for something even better for him and the rest of the cast (Nicole Byer was also a consistent highlight). 

I think I watched part of a Young Rock once and realized it wasn't at all for me.

Just now, flyonthewall2983 said:

People are losing their jobs and the first thing I think of is how this is going to play into the bloodline angle

With Rock getting his ass squashed, hopefully. I honestly think that the Anoa'i family shoot don't care much about that man, as a whole. They might care more about Gary Albright than egghead Dwayne Johnson. 

• 4 months later...