Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Elimination Chamber 2021

KawadaSmile

It's just an odd choice. The Miz and Morrison have been prominent characters and have been getting caught up in other people's business, but they've largely just been portrayed as annoying goons who's shtick involves awful parodies of wrestlers. It seemed like the briefcase was just a way of protecting Otis, I don't see how this improves the show.

It just comes across like the WWE haven't really set anything interesting up, so they've tried to pull the rug out from everyone to stir some controversy heading into Wrestlemania.

It's one of those cases where they could have had their cake by giving The Miz some momentum before the title win. Now it just seems like a total scrub has the belt hostage and even if Drew wins it back immediately, he's still lost more momentum losing it in the first place.

Still, I'm curious to check both Chamber matches out. It sounded like Cesaro had one of his better nights out in the SmackDown Chamber which I'm excited to see.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Stiva said:

When was the last time someone won the title the first time and then didn’t win it again for 10 years, all while remaining in the same promotion? Hogan obviously had to wait a while but he was in WCW for most of that time. 

As far as I can tell, the closest would be Marufuji. He won the GHC tile for the first time in 2006 and the second time in 2014.

43 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

As far as I can tell, the closest would be Marufuji. He won the GHC tile for the first time in 2006 and the second time in 2014.

Across two companies but because nearly everyone went from one to the other I think taue counts. He lost the triple crown in July 96 to Kobashi. He beat Rikio for the ghc title in November 2005.

Mochizuki went from final gate 2011 where he lost the dream gate to CIMA and then won the title again in 2017 Vs YAMATO. There are probably some others I could come up with but really the point @Stiva Made stands, ten years is a very long time to go between world titles in the same company without long injury layoff or a return from retirement. Especially in a promotion that has as many title changes as WWE.

4 hours ago, Big Pete said:

It's one of those cases where they could have had their cake by giving The Miz some momentum before the title win. Now it just seems like a total scrub has the belt hostage and even if Drew wins it back immediately, he's still lost more momentum losing it in the first place.

When would they have made the decision for Miz to win anyway though? They seem to book on the fly as a general rule these days. Sounds like they're still finalising the Wrestlemania card as we speak. There's almost no long term planning whatsoever so I'm not surprised when people who have been virtually forgotten about suddenly start winning and being talked about like a major player.

Maybe Lashley will win it off Miz tonight. I'd be up for that. 

Just now, RingoPlaysDrums said:

When would they have made the decision for Miz to win anyway though? They seem to book on the fly as a general rule these days. Sounds like they're still finalising the Wrestlemania card as we speak. There's almost no long term planning whatsoever so I'm not surprised when people who have been virtually forgotten about suddenly start winning and being talked about like a major player. 

Maybe Lashley will win it off Miz tonight. I'd be up for that. 

I would say it was whenever they decided to have him cash in his briefcase at TLC but retain the briefcase, so sometime back in December.

While I'm sure they went back and forth on it, I'm confident they also wanted to make Miz' actual WWE Championship win look as unlikely as possible to make the outcome as shocking as possible. I personally don't think it helps anybody to book in that fashion, but I think that's their rationale.

I'd be up for that as well and think it would be a much better outcome than having Drew win it back right away.

2 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

They needed Drew to drop the title so that Drew could get his Wrestlemania coronation in front of fans.

Good point and I can see that likely be the reason. I just think you could do that and make the interim champion look credible at the same time.

I was wondering about this, is WWE actually dreading having fans again ? I mean, they have been able to control "fan reactions" with the fake noise applied onto the Thunderdome tapestry, but for years now their audience has not been shy about shitting on whatever they did not like. Will we get fake noise at Mania despite a real live audience to get a controlled atmosphere ?

1 hour ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

Or how about Drew not dropping the title at all and successfully defending it at WM with fans in attendance? I swear this company has to overthink so much because the star-making machine is dead. 

IIRC I read that Lashley's contract is also expiring and it's due to end come Wrestlemania. It's better to give him a WWE Title run and lose than him being the challenger and lose, perhaps.

Yeah they make it more difficult than it needs to be.

13 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

IIRC I read that Lashley's contract is also expiring and it's due to end come Wrestlemania. It's better to give him a WWE Title run and lose than him being the challenger and lose, perhaps.

Yeah they make it more difficult than it needs to be.

I'd be ok with it if they can produce half of what they did in their lights-out match during their Impact tenure. 

6 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

They needed Drew to drop the title so that Drew could get his Wrestlemania coronation in front of fans.

A lot of people online believe that Bad Bunny will cost Miz the title at Fastlane (WWE's Peacock debut show). And that will set up Miz & Morrison vs Bad Bunny & Damian Priest. So going this route serves a lot of purposes.

So Dave cryptically said the deal with Keith Lee is "what everyone thinks it is", which could normally mean anything but that's been his code for COVID since that's everyone's first reaction to someone disappearing these days. 

So I would assume he was most likely not showing symptoms/testing positive when Mia was diagnosed but did at some point after.

22 hours ago, sek69 said:

So Dave cryptically said the deal with Keith Lee is "what everyone thinks it is", which could normally mean anything but that's been his code for COVID since that's everyone's first reaction to someone disappearing these days. 

So I would assume he was most likely not showing symptoms/testing positive when Mia was diagnosed but did at some point after.

Drew and Keith Lee wrestled on the January 4th Raw. Before the Drew COVID announcement on January 11th. And things have been been the same with Keith since although he has made one or two on-screen appearances since. Also, that is the match where he dumped Keith's spine on the corner of the announce desk. It could be one or both things.

Keith in his WWE Network 24 documentary said he had lost a significant number of family and friends back home in Texas due to COVID. And as a big African American dude, he might have more lingering issues from COVID than some of his peers in WWE who had it also.

4 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

I get how weight could be a variable in regards to COVID and its effects, but I don't understand how him being African American would lead to those lingering issues

A higher incidence of hypertension, diabetes etc I believe. I am open to correction.

People with diabetes have the same risk as people without diabetes of getting COVID-19 but if you get COVID-19, you are more at risk of serious illness.

8 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Has Lee gone on record as saying he has those conditions, or is that an assumption based on his race?

African Americans have been heavily impacted by COVID, but that has more to do with racial inequality, which leads to substandard medical treatment.

It also leads to poor environmental factors. African americans are more likely to live in neighborhoods near industrial zones. So air, water pollution, those are community factors.