Pro Wrestling Only

The aging of wrestling fans

Loss

3 hours ago, El-P said:

I would say it's actually the opposite, match quality has never mattered more. Even in a traditionally non-match-quality environment like WWE, in today's landscape, if you really suck at pro-wrestling or even if you're really mediocre, you don't stand a chance. I may not agree with what WWE thinks a great match is, but it's obvious a guy like Sid would have zero chance of getting over today, because the audience and the office who see through him and he could never deliver what they think a great match is. Sure, they'll still push Karrion Kross for other reasons and give body and big guys much more opportunity because they are still stuck in the past somewhat, but whether they get over with the actual audience is another thing altogether. I mean, Daniel Bryan got injected into the main event at Mania for a reason.

I more mean, it doesn't matter because almost every single promotion has good wrestling now. The idea of  workrate promotion is kind of dead because everyone has workrate matches now. So if you can get good wrestling anywhere then you are going to base your choices off of things like angles, charisma of the performers, booking, etc. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mad Dog said:

I more mean, it doesn't matter because almost every single promotion has good wrestling now. The idea of  workrate promotion is kind of dead because everyone has workrate matches now. So if you can get good wrestling anywhere then you are going to base your choices off of things like angles, charisma of the performers, booking, etc. 

I would agree with this yes. I'd rather watch IMPACT than WWE, although I know there are much better matches in WWE on a regular basis, because IMPACT is fun to watch for me whereas WWE is a complete chore. But what I love the most in AEW is the prospect of legit *great* matches, as for NJPW.

The funny thing is, Hogan/Andre was the match at WM3 with a pure sports build while Savage/Steamboat was the one with a sports entertainment build. The former was a straightforward world title match. The latter had Steamboat trying to gain revenge on Savage for crushing his throat with the ring bell along with all the ancillary nonsense with George Steele.

I've struggled with post-kayfabe wrestling for 20 years or so. When I was a kid/teenager in the 80s and 90s I cared about my favorite wrestlers. I got a high out of them winning just like I did from rooting for my favorite sports teams. My entering adulthood basically coincided with kayfabe being discarded-Montreal, ECW, shoot videos, Mankind's book, etc-and for a while I found that fascinating. But eventually I lost interest in everything. When I look back on it, I'm not sure if I just became too old to care like I did or if wrestling had changed so much that it was hard to care anymore. Anyway, I've returned to wrestling time and again when I found something to care about (besides returning to watch old footage and study history). In 2005 it was actually TNA and Samoa Joe and something that felt fresh. We all know that didnt last. CM Punk and Bryan made me care at times, but it wasn't the same as Bret Hart and, yes, Benoit (pre-WWF, really). NXT and the women made me care again. Okada. Time and again I lost interest. But at some point in the last 5 years I made my peace with it. Wrestling has changed, it changed a long time ago, and I'm not going to complain about how things were so much better in the old days. The wrestling I grew up loving in the 80s and 90s was hated by a lot of fans who grew up loving wrestling in the 60s and 70s. That's just how it goes. I'm old now. Whatever wrestling has become is mostly fine, it's just evolved, like everything does. Except WWE. WWE is shit 

SD this week was the top show of the night on broadcast TV in 18-34 and was a distant last in 50+ in the big 4 networks. Its a top 10 show in all of TV in 18-34 when you look at the rest of the week. RAW is battling evenly with the NBA for top show on cable in 18-34.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-friday-cable-originals-network-finals-3-26-2021.html