Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 03/01 - 03/07 Lashley please win this title

KawadaSmile

1 minute ago, Strummer said:

Reportedly NXT is moving to Tuesday's starting 4/13

reported by Mat Men podcast

Gonna be real fun to see the WWE drones spin this one, and by fun I mean denying all reality and somehow claiming this is s a victory in the Wednesday Night Wars despite only winning like one or two times (and a handful of weeks were it was basically a tie) and getting their asses beat the rest of the time. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Gonna be real fun to see the WWE drones spin this one, and by fun I mean denying all reality and somehow claiming this is s a victory in the Wednesday Night Wars despite only winning like one or two times (and a handful of weeks were it was basically a tie) and getting their asses beat the rest of the time. 

The problem is neither side will look at reality. Which is, should this be true, is likely because NBCSN is closing shop and NBC Universal has several live sports events that have to land somewhere. And that's before considering if/when NBCU bids to keep NHL. USA is going to absorb some of that programming. And that's not getting into what WWE migrating to Peacock may mean in the long run.

So, NXT is running a 2016 ROH main event and Wrestlemania will be main evented by a 2016 TNA main event?

It really all comes around sometimes.

(Not that either of these things is bad. I mean, LOL at the hypocrisy of WWE claiming that everyone else was small-time and then just reusing their old stuff, but in some ways good for them for softening on this stuff.)

5 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The problem is neither side will look at reality. Which is, should this be true, is likely because NBCSN is closing shop and NBC Universal has several live sports events that have to land somewhere. And that's before considering if/when NBCU bids to keep NHL. USA is going to absorb some of that programming. And that's not getting into what WWE migrating to Peacock may mean in the long run.

This is all correct, but Hunter was on one of those conference calls saying how NXT was staying on Wednesdays for the long haul so the announcement of them moving is going to be one of those "the Leader told us this wouldn't happen but it did" moments. Lord knows the last few years have taught us people deep in the Kool Aid don't handle those particularly well.

6 hours ago, sek69 said:

This is all correct, but Hunter was on one of those conference calls saying how NXT was staying on Wednesdays for the long haul so the announcement of them moving is going to be one of those "the Leader told us this wouldn't happen but it did" moments. Lord knows the last few years have taught us people deep in the Kool Aid don't handle those particularly well.

"I came, I saw, I got my ass kicked." Paul Levesque. 2021. I wonder if Trip is now gonna be like, "This was a semi-marathon not a sprint" or something now...

7 hours ago, Migs said:

So, NXT is running a 2016 ROH main event and Wrestlemania will be main evented by a 2016 TNA main event?

Which they have already run on TV or something a few months ago, as I remember that week IMPACT showed extracts of the TNA match in their IMPACT+ flashback of a week, in a very snarky way. For years we've heard about this really good Bobby Lashley stint in TNA (which I haven't seen) and I believe the Drew match was one of the pimped ones, and now it seems this is gonna be a Mania title match 5 years later ? Not exactly ahead of the curve, uh... Well, I guess it's good they did not go for Randy Orton vs Edge, which is a main event from 10 years ago. Wait, from last year, I stand corrected...

16 hours ago, sek69 said:

If Brandi Rhodes is going to get called out for code switching, it should be mentioned how Randy's getting real gangsta in his tweets toward Soulja Boy. He's really bringing the "white kid listens to Ice Cube one time and suddenly thinks he's from the hood" vibes.

To paraphrase a guy on the F4W board, some big Lex Luger wearing FUBU energy from Orton.

Then there's this:

She fucking wrote "yowie wowie" in a tweet. Geeks. The whole lot of them.

22 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Is Bobby Lashley the guy?

No, but a one-time constant bait-and-switch to ensure viewers don't leave the show in droves is effective...the first time they do it. They actually opened with lower viewers than they did last week, although that was also a post-PPV bump. Knowing WWE though, I fully expect them to think they have finally cracked the code, and start doing bait and switches at the top of each hour, and then be absolutely stunned when they plunge to further record lows. 

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

If she was tweeting in character, she shouldn't have been since she was coming to the defense of the person she's kayfabe feuding with.

Exactly. Tweeting in character makes no sense given she called Asuka a badass champ. She probably just thought she was being funny. No one on the WWE main roster can ever be funny. Working under Vince will do that to you

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

If she was tweeting in character, she shouldn't have been since she was coming to the defense of the person she's kayfabe feuding with.

I love when someone outside of the WWE bubble accidentally reveals how programmed these people are. 

Anyway, as always Big E had the correct take on this by saying if wrestler vs rapper feuds lead to a new Def Jam Vendetta game then he's all for it.

55 minutes ago, MoS said:

No, but a one-time constant bait-and-switch to ensure viewers don't leave the show in droves is effective...the first time they do it. They actually opened with lower viewers than they did last week, although that was also a post-PPV bump. Knowing WWE though, I fully expect them to think they have finally cracked the code, and start doing bait and switches at the top of each hour, and then be absolutely stunned when they plunge to further record lows.

In fairness, building anticipation for something people want to see and then delivering does seem like a pretty solid ratings strategy.

1 hour ago, MoS said:

So which wrestling war was sadder and more pathetic, Monday Night Wars v. 2, or the Wednesday Night Wars

I guess because NXT lost so many weeks in total, with only a couple blips of competitiveness, you could argue that was worse, but I recall v2 being a totally embarrassing one sided bloodbath. Did it even last 2 months? 

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

Ah, gotcha. 

With Alexa, it's less to do with being programmed and more that she doesn't do the Twitter thing well. 

As for the Wednesday Night "Wars": it's been the saddest balloon fight ever. Personally, I don't think either side look particularly strong. AEW can brag about winning the ratings, but it's against WWE's third brand that's seen by many as still being developmental. Triple H is likely kicking a wall in the PC because he couldn't get NXT up to speed on this.

Everything has been the equivalent of shaking one's fist at another driver who doesn't turn on their left signal. Not of it means anything. For all the talk of this being a 'boom' period for wrestling because of the competition, what has really changed? Good for wrestlers having more options on where to work. But beyond that? I don't know.

Is NXT really developmental though? I mean on paper, yes, but most of the talent being featured on NXT TV were either established indy stars or folks who were plying their trade elsewhere. Once they moved to USA, Vince was clearly trying to load it up as a third brand to destroy the new guys. Once it was clear it wasn't going to work that way, suddenly they were back on the "well, it's developmental" train  to explain away the ass kickings they were getting. 

AEW definitely should be proud, they had the biggest company in their business take aim at them and they largely came out ahead. 

I think pre COVID there certainly was a boom period in the making for indy wrestling, there were more groups running shows than there had been probably in 20 years. The issue is people look at WWE's declining ratings as proof against that when it seems it just indicates people are not as interested in what WWE puts out as opposed to not being interested in wrestling in general. Will that come back when shows can run again? Who knows, but it certainly seemed the appetite for non WWE wrestling was stronger than it's been for a long long time. 

NXT hasn't been seen as developmental in forever now, even way before AEW came into existence. It had already turned into the cool "Indie-dream-matches-with-WWE-production promotion under the benevolent figure of Triple H-the-future-savior-of-WWE" before getting a bit less cool once people understood that their favorites were gonna mostly amount to nothing once called into the main roster. NXT then turned into basically the "Let's kill that pissant company that is pretending to be competition" part of the brand and got its ass kicked, despite wearing the WWE stamp which only means 40 years jumpstart of equalling pro-wrestling worldwide.

Even expecting a brand new company with guys who made their fame on the indies (PWG, ROH), Japan (NJPW) and Youtube (BTE) competing with a WWE program seemed ridiculous at first. Yet, they did not just compete, they basically fucked NXT up in the key demos. Not that it matters anyway since Vince has screwed pretty much every can't miss prospect coming up from NXT by himself.

Yeah this whole battle has been a series of self-owns from WWE. From playing in to AEW's hands by acting exactly like the bully an upstart company and their fans can rally against (like ECW did back in the day) to making it clear any investment in NXT would be a waste once you see your favorites get called up and wasted on the main roster, all AEW had to do was not be a WCW/LOLTNA level of fuck up to succeed.  They not only did that, they made sure they listened to their fans to not only make sure the wrestlers they got behind would be featured, but to not stubbornly keep going with things that clearly weren't working like Dark Order version 1.0 and Evil Brandi.