Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - March 3, 2021

MoS

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Wight has always been a great promo and has always been a very entertaining and charismatic personality. I first noticed it during that 2000 SNL segment with the WM 2000 main eventers, when he actually went toe to toe with Rock, who does have a little bit of charisma, in case you never noticed. He seemed like he was having fun too, so I am glad for him

I have zero idea why either Riho or Thunder Rosa is not in the finals, esp on such a big show when they would have wanted a proven ratings draw like Riho. And I really do not need to watch yet another Shida-Rose match, especially without any build.

That said though, this match has been solid

1 hour ago, Strummer said:

"Hall of fame" talent will debut at the ppv

Hall of Fame "worthy" - so if that's accurate, it takes Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Mark Henry, and Dave Bautista out of the running.

Possibilities (but unlikely): Brock Lesnar, CM Punk. Edit: Or *shudder* that big meathead Ryback.

Could it be a woman? AJ Lee would be a fun signing, but it's unlikely to be her. 

This would be a very loose and disappointing way to describe Tommy End and Thea Trinidad (AKA Aleister Black and Zelina Vega), assuming End isn't still stuck in WWE Contract Hell, which he probably is.

Just now, sek69 said:

Bittersweet to see that Jim Crockett Jr passed away on a day where there was an entire segment on AEW tonight that was influenced by his company.

Oh fuck, I knew he was on his deathbed but I didn't know he passed away. RIP

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought the Shaq match was the worst match of the year. However, this episode was easily the best Dynamite of the year. So much energy and momentum and hotness. I am so pumped for Revolution

This felt almost more like night 1 of a 2 night pay per view, or maybe like a Clash of the Champions 2 weeks before a big pay per view, like it was a big show all on it's own. 

I see John Cena is hosting Wipeout on sister station TBS. Any idea when his contract ends?

I wasn't crazy about Dynamite tonight.

-- I don't like it when anyone, no matter who they are, has their first wrestling match and just manhandles a seasoned pro in the first exchange. It makes it look like pro wrestling is something anybody can do. You get to the same end result if Cody gets in a cheapshot and ducks and runs a couple of times until Shaq finally gets his hands on him after the third lockup or something, with Cody getting all of these tiny victories first. Also, not sure I get doing a test of strength 10 minutes into a match. There was a no-sold powerbomb, the table spot was really poorly set up and telegraphed ... I just didn't get the praise for this one. The match was designed to make highlight reels and the table spot will get some non-wrestling coverage, so in that sense, it was a success. The match worked for what it was intended. I just kept thinking it could have been better.

-- Next segment with Jericho and the Bucks. So last week, the heels beat up the Bucks' dad. This week, their response is to come out and cut a witty promo about Jericho jerking the curtain at the Performance Center? They did convey (sort of) that they were pissed off, but I kept thinking imagine if they hit the ring and did the physical part first and THEN cut the promo? It would have felt more convincing. As it was, it all felt too cute. Not to mention, we're two segments into the show and both have had table spots? The one in this segment, the announcers don't even put over. They just calmly move on to the video where they assume everyone alive knows who Atsushi Onita is. Okay.

-- FTR-Tully vs Jurassic Express was really fun and I loved the commentary. I also really liked Ricky Starks getting promo time. I don't know if they know it quite yet, but I think he's the real future of their company. 

-- The rest of the show, I could take or leave.

-- Ultimately, the stuff I didn't like about the show wasn't the type of thing that was going to hurt their growth or anything like that. In fact, between Shaq wrestling and all the angles and Paul Wight's big signing tease, this is probably going to do a great rating. I just don't like it when wrestling companies decide that if certain details don't matter to their bottom line, they don't have to care about them. And that's what I get from AEW sometimes that I wish was there: the desire to tighten everything up and make sure that there's a good reason to do pretty much everything they are doing.

3 minutes ago, Loss said:

I wasn't crazy about Dynamite tonight.

-- I don't like it when anyone, no matter who they are, has their first wrestling match and just manhandles a seasoned pro in the first exchange. It makes it look like pro wrestling is something anybody can do. You get to the same end result if Cody gets in a cheapshot and ducks and runs a couple of times until Shaq finally gets his hands on him after the third lockup or something, with Cody getting all of these tiny victories first. Also, not sure I get doing a test of strength 10 minutes into a match. There was a no-sold powerbomb, the table spot was really poorly set up and telegraphed ... I just didn't get the praise for this one. The match was designed to make highlight reels and the table spot will get some non-wrestling coverage, so in that sense, it was a success. The match worked for what it was intended. I just kept thinking it could have been better.

-- Next segment with Jericho and the Bucks. So last week, the heels beat up the Bucks' dad. This week, their response is to come out and cut a witty promo about Jericho jerking the curtain at the Performance Center? They did convey (sort of) that they were pissed off, but I kept thinking imagine if they hit the ring and did the physical part first and THEN cut the promo? It would have felt more convincing. As it was, it all felt too cute. Not to mention, we're two segments into the show and both have had table spots? The one in this segment, the announcers don't even put over. They just calmly move on to the video where they assume everyone alive knows who Atsushi Onita is. Okay.

-- FTR-Tully vs Jurassic Express was really fun and I loved the commentary. I also really liked Ricky Starks getting promo time. I don't know if they know it quite yet, but I think he's the real future of their company. 

-- The rest of the show, I could take or leave.

-- Ultimately, the stuff I didn't like about the show wasn't the type of thing that was going to hurt their growth or anything like that. In fact, between Shaq wrestling and all the angles and Paul Wight's big signing tease, this is probably going to do a great rating. I just don't like it when wrestling companies decide that if certain details don't matter to their bottom line, they don't have to care about them. And that's what I get from AEW sometimes that I wish was there: the desire to tighten everything up and make sure that there's a good reason to do pretty much everything they are doing.

Somebody should hire Loss to to book their company. 

I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but this line seems really shortsighted to me:

Matt Jackson: “Chris, let’s be honest man. What would you be doing if there was no AEW? Oh, I know. You’d probably be jerking the curtain tonight at the Performance Center.”

Yeah, their fanbase will take it as the meta "WWE wouldn't be using you properly" reference Matt Jackson intended, but he's also basically saying, "You're one of our top guys, but if you were still over there, you'd be losing on their third-rate, cold-as-ice, developmental territory." How does that make AEW look good?

This is one of of those kind of things that really could use tightening up (to borrow from Loss's post). 

I think eventually the little things not making sense will hurt AEW. I lol'd at "Malnourished Matt and Not Slick Wish My Hair was Thick Nick" but I was like they shouldn't bury their top babyfaces like that. Then I though weren't the Young Bucks heels on the last PPV? When did they turn? I dunno, they just did I guess. And weren't  Gallows/Anderson at odds with the Bucks because they were invading AEW? I guess not. All in one segment. It's all entertaining but at some point things being entertaining but illogical is going to hurt them. I think their saving grace is they are compared to WWE where things are neither logical nor entertaining. 

1 hour ago, joeg said:

I think eventually the little things not making sense will hurt AEW. I lol'd at "Malnourished Matt and Not Slick Wish My Hair was Thick Nick" but I was like they shouldn't bury their top babyfaces like that. Then I though weren't the Young Bucks heels on the last PPV? When did they turn? I dunno, they just did I guess. And weren't  Gallows/Anderson at odds with the Bucks because they were invading AEW? I guess not. All in one segment. It's all entertaining but at some point things being entertaining but illogical is going to hurt them. I think their saving grace is they are compared to WWE where things are neither logical nor entertaining. 

The way I interpret the dynamics between the Bucks & the Good Brothers, it seems like the Good Brothers are acting like Omega, the Bucks & and themselves are all still one big happy family. We all know this will eventually lead to a Bucks vs Good Brothers match (probably at Double or Nothing in May).

Surprised that no one actually noticed Shaq paying tribute to Mr. Brodie Lee during the opening match tonight.

31 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

The way I interpret the dynamics between the Bucks & the Good Brothers, it seems like the Good Brothers are acting like Omega, the Bucks & and themselves are all still one big happy family. We all know this will eventually lead to a Bucks vs Good Brothers match (probably at Double or Nothing in May).

Yeah. I think you are giving them way to much credit. That doesn't make sense. At all. Just like how it doesn't make sense that after somebody hospitalized your father, you'd spend 5 minutes talking to them about wanting to kick their ass rather than actually fighting them.

Watching AEW reminds me of the Kevin Nash one liner about how wrestling is a show about sex and violence that's written by people who have never thrown a punch or gotten laid.