Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - March 3, 2021

MoS

18 minutes ago, rovert said:

I don't really understand why Christian would be a letdown. Social media lost their minds for his cameo in the Royal Rumble this year and he's a perennial "smart mark" favourite.

Really? They have Big Show out on TV using his AEW debut to hype up another person coming in, state it's a HOF worthy person, and "it's not who you think" to basically say it's not CM Punk, and you don't understand why people would be let down if it was CHRISTIAN? I mean I like the guy but that would be extremely disappointing if you're out here dropping hints that it would be a megastar level guy. It would literally be a LOLTNA moment since TNA did the same thing with him. 

Plus "guy you thought would never wrestle makes a cameo in the Rumble" several levels below "hyped up debut on a major PPV show".

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Christian is a mid-card worker from WWE who never ever reached main event superstar status. He's also and most of all in this context the posterboy for the kind of TNA booking that AEW has to avoid at all cost. Although he would be a *decent at best* addition to the roster (but really, there are already better, younger, fresher workers who don't even get on AEW TV each week), Christian would indeed be a Savio Vega level letdown after going HOF worthy announcement.

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Really? They have Big Show out on TV using his AEW debut to hype up another person coming in, state it's a HOF worthy person, and "it's not who you think" to basically say it's not CM Punk, and you don't understand why people would be let down if it was CHRISTIAN? I mean I like the guy but that would be extremely disappointing if you're out here dropping hints that it would be a megastar level guy. It would literally be a LOLTNA moment since TNA did the same thing with him. 

Plus "guy you thought would never wrestle makes a cameo in the Rumble" several levels below "hyped up debut on a major PPV show".

He's one of the biggest influences on the AEW roster along with the things I've listed. People acting like it would be a letdown astound me especially when they don't offer realistic/practical answer or suggestion. 

9 minutes ago, El-P said:

Christian is a mid-card worker from WWE who never ever reached main event superstar status. He's also and most of all in this context the posterboy for the kind of TNA booking that AEW has to avoid at all cost. Although he would be a *decent at best* addition to the roster (but really, there are already better, younger, fresher workers who don't even get on AEW TV each week), Christian would indeed be a Savio Vega level letdown after going HOF worthy announcement.

You are respectfully totally out to lunch with that comparison 

Wight didn't say that the new signee is someone the AEW roster really looks up to. He said it's a HOF calibre wrestler who is one of the biggest stars ever. Like it or not, that does not describe Christian. If wrestlers looking up to someone would make them a big star, then Fit Finlay would have been my top pick. That doesn't mean that the fans wouldn't feel let down

3 minutes ago, rovert said:

You are respectfully totally out to lunch with that comparison 

The reference went straight above your head I see.

It's not what the AEW roster thinks about Christian as a worker. I like Christian as a worker a lot. But the perception of Christian is absolutely not "HOF worthy big time superstar". 47 years old Christian sold by AEW as an all-time legend would be TNA level shit, and even more because he's actually been through this in TNA when his midcard ass was put over all the main event TNA talent then.

Like a lot of women in WWE really view Nattie as an influence and mentor and I respect that, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be disappointed if another promotion hyped up a big debut and it turned out to be her.

By all accounts Christian is a great guy and is a great wrestler who never completely got his due as a single due to Vince's weird hang-ups, but he is absolutely not the guy you want to hype up a big surprise reveal around if you don't want people to call you TNA. 

8 minutes ago, El-P said:

The reference went straight above your head I see.

It's not what the AEW roster thinks about Christian as a worker. I like Christian as a worker a lot. But the perception of Christian is absolutely not "HOF worthy big time superstar". 47 years old Christian sold by AEW as an all-time legend would be TNA level shit, and even more because he's actually been through this in TNA when his midcard ass was put over all the main event TNA talent then.

The reference didn't go over my head. The fans there live will lose their shit if he debuts.

How most wrestling fans view Christian is pretty similar to most younger wrestlers.

8 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Like a lot of women in WWE really view Nattie as an influence and mentor and I respect that, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be disappointed if another promotion hyped up a big debut and it turned out to be her.

By all accounts Christian is a great guy and is a great wrestler who never completely got his due as a single due to Vince's weird hang-ups, but he is absolutely not the guy you want to hype up a big surprise reveal around if you don't want people to call you TNA. 

Christain has a real reputation and a very strong body of in-ring work. He is not comparable to Nattie.

I dunno, I hear women in WWE talk about Nattie like she's Wrestling Jesus (I don't get it either,  but it seems to be their legit feelings) so it seems an apt comparison if a lot of people look up to Christian too.

Not understanding why fans would feel disappointed on a heavily hyped reveal turning out to be a largely career midcard (as a single) guy because he's respected by the boys comes off as real "inside the bubble" stuff, no offense. 

I would be excited to see him get a run in AEW, or anywhere for that matter. He has a lot to offer as a worker or even as an agent somewhere. He definitely would be an asset in any company that can use him properly. I just don't see him being an acceptable payoff to something like this. 

It's like if your parents drop  hints they are going to get you a PS5 for your birthday and they end up getting you a really nice tool set instead. It's still a good gift, arguably more useful than a PS5, but you're still going to feel disappointment because it's not what you were led to believe. 

I'm in Canada, so in order to watch the PPV hype special after Dynamite I had to download the TSN app since they werent showing it on tv here. It was kind of funny, because they ran the US commercial breaks even though TSN is a Canadian app. I guess TSN couldn't sell advertisers on putting ads on this special that was only going to be available online. Anyway, I only watched like half of it because I was annoyed with the music running underneath the interviews and that they kept jumping between people. I thought it was ok for a few minutes,  like if it was a short ppv hype segment on Dynamite. However, that format seems really difficult to watch for an entire hour. I would have preferred longer interview segments one person or team at a time hyping the specific matches. 

I did like the tag section though. They seemed to be framing the story Jericho is this legend, like one of the greatest wrestlers who has turned bad, but MJF is not that. He is more like an opportunistic wrestler who is using Jericho and using the Inner Circle to benefit his career. I enjoyed that interpretation of the booking because it adds another layer to the tag match where you wonder if MJF has some ulterior motive or plan and if something else may happen between him and the Inner Circle or if he will turn on Jericho. And when you have the Good Brothers on the other side who act like heels, and we don't know where Sammy Guevera is.... To me, it just gives it more of that feeling that I used to having during the Monday Night Wars, that feeling of "Anything Could Happen."

1 minute ago, TheDuke said:

I did like the tag section though. They seemed to be framing the story Jericho is this legend, like one of the greatest wrestlers who has turned bad, but MJF is not that. He is more like an opportunistic wrestler who is using Jericho and using the Inner Circle to benefit his career. I enjoyed that interpretation of the booking because it adds another layer to the tag match where you wonder if MJF has some ulterior motive or plan and if something else may happen between him and the Inner Circle or if he will turn on Jericho. And when you have the Good Brothers on the other side who act like heels, and we don't know where Sammy Guevera is.... To me, it just gives it more of that feeling that I used to having during the Monday Night Wars, that feeling of "Anything Could Happen."

Yes, one advantage of Sammy "that doesn't work for me brother"-ing going to Impact is that now it adds extra intrigue about what he's going to do next. 

4 minutes ago, Loss said:

It's probably also safe to say based on the last week that when AEW references a Hall of Fame, they are referencing the WON Hall of Fame. This means that it's likely someone who hasn't been inducted.

It’s Mistico’s time to shine.

On 3/3/2021 at 1:21 PM, MoS said:

Shaq and Jade might be the worst tag team in wrestling history

Man I came in all jazzed up to talk about how awesome Dynamite was and how killer SHAQ VS CODY was, but man wrestling fans gonna be wrestling fans. 

For the rest of us, who remember what fun is, that opening tag match was killer! Cody bumping & feeding like a pro for Shaq! Shaq going all out, having fun and just being a big mutha trucker in there. His powerbomb was sick! You know what was so refreshing about this match. It was not a damn track meet. People actually took the time to milk the highspots and let the highspots breathe. They reacted to one another. Jade Cargill is gonna be a star. She is IT! Amazing look and effusive charisma. She gets that pro wrestling is about character work. She needs to work on her execution, but that will come with time. Cody just looked like a zillion bucks. The table spot was killer! Cody feels like a pro wrestler not some workrate mark hack. 

The rest of the show rocked too! Jericho/MJF had one of their better segments in a while. Bloodied Papa Buck last week esp. the blood smears came off great. Bucks prattled a little too long, but we got some retribution. Tully Blachard and JJ were awesome! I was marking out for the shoe and having Tony on the call! FTR vs JX is the best feud in wrestling! Ryo is awesome, she got a great match out of Nyla Rose of all people which I legitimately thought was impossible. Ryo was really, really good. More Ryo, less Riho, yes please! ONITA~! How badass was that! PAC & Fenix should wrestle that long all the time! That's literally all I want from them, just offensive exhibition. As soon as you ask them to sell or do anything remotely involving psychology or plot development, they suck. Keep it under 5 minutes I will be happy. 

I havent even finished Dynamite, but this was my favorite Dynamite of all time and one the best 2 hour wrestling shows in forever! Loved it!

4 minutes ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

Man I came in all jazzed up to talk about how awesome Dynamite was and how killer SHAQ VS CODY was, but man wrestling fans gonna be wrestling fans. 

For the rest of us, who remember what fun is, that opening tag match was killer!

I know you were in single digits back then, but this is pretty much what the Monday Night Wars was like on the internet. Just with worse spelling.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I know you were in single digits back then, but this is pretty much what the Monday Night Wars was like on the internet. Just with worse spelling.

Hey! I was on WrestleLine when I was 9 years old, I will have you know! :) 

Also MoS sorry to pick on you brutha, read some of your posts after, you really enjoyed Tully/JJ and Onita, so youre cool, bro! Though you like Riho, which makes me unsure now. :P

Not to beat a dead horse, but Tony's comments on AEW's podcast sure don't sound like a guy bringing in someone like Christian:

Khan also doubled down on Paul Wight's reveal on Wednesday's Dynamite about a "Hall of Fame worthy" signing announced this Sunday. Khan said it will not be the surprise in the ladder match and that it's a "major, huge, huge star in the world of wrestling: that will be signing a multi-year deal."

Read a quick article to jog my mind. Kurt Angle does sound reasonable, I forgot about him and would be a let down in my estimation. Batista crossed my mind, but seems unlikely. The article brought up Japan. It would have to be Tanahashi or Okada anything less would not make a splash in my estimation. Unless, somebody's contract is up that we dont know about, and this is a Luger Nitro jump. I am going to guess it is Kurt Angle for now. Didnt he just start a podcast? Was it with Conrad?