AEW Revolution

Flyin' Brian

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

C'mon, guys, Christian was easily a bigger star than both Dudleys and Matt Hardy during that time. Don't confuse the Bubba/Bully Ray you like now (though I can't imagine why) with the stuttering redneck buffoon he was in his early ECW and early WWE days. 

Little girls didn't scream when Christian took off his shirt, so he was less over than Matt Hardy.

He didn't powerbomb people through tables, so he was less over than Bubba Dudley.

For the record, I loved the Dudleys in ECW, and not so much anything that happened after they left, especially not Bully Ray which is one of the stupidest names ever.

As for Christian, I'm not sure he really got over (outside of spots in TLC matches, 5 Seconds Poses, and playing the Kazoo) until he cut his hair and got the "CHRISTIAN, CHRISTIAN....AT LAST YOU'RE ON YOU'RE OWNNNNN" music.

Somehow Edge, with his wierd face and less talent was the one that was over at that time. (I am actually with you, that of the TLC 6, Christian was the most talented of the bunch. He just wasn't the most over.)

2 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

Somehow Edge, with his wierd face and less talent was the one that was over at that time.

People considered Edge handsome and "dreamy" back then. I guess I can see it. At the very least, if a wrestling fan said that, it's more credible than saying it about someone like Ricky Morton.

Edge was 90s hot, it's like seeing how mullets and women with 3 foot tall hairsprayed monstrosities were hot in the 80s. You kinda had to be there to understand. Plus his initial intro to WWF with Gangrel tapped in to those people who had Vampire fetishes which was big at the time as well. 

I actually think Christian could be the best combination of good work and name value in AEW. Anyone who has a bigger name can't go anymore or could never go (Moxley). The only people who are arguably better workers are FTR and Dustin. The company obviously botched the reveal but he is an excellent addition to the roster.

31 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Edge was 90s hot, it's like seeing how mullets and women with 3 foot tall hairsprayed monstrosities were hot in the 80s. You kinda had to be there to understand. Plus his initial intro to WWF with Gangrel tapped in to those people who had Vampire fetishes which was big at the time as well. 

Yeah I sure did find out via 1998 and 1999 RAW signs that there were multiple sites on places like Angelfire and Geocities (still up thanks to the power of Internet Archive) that were dedicated specifically to how much women loved Edge.  He was absolutely the hunk wrestler of that era.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Oh man I can remember there being a "is Edge good looking?" debate on the internet in the late 90s

On 3/8/2021 at 11:15 PM, Loss said:

I think that's uniquely important to AEW. Their greatest strength, more than their talent roster or booking or match quality, is that they are seen as the more fan-friendly and honest alternative to WWE. They have rejected the carny spin attempts that have been common in wrestling in the past, and I think they have to commit to that. Now's not the time to embrace it.

I couldn't agree more. I will have to catch Dynamite after the fact today, and I'm a little on tenterhooks to see how this whole thing is handled. There's a whole continuum ranging from "treating the audience with respect" to "treating the audience with contempt" amf AEW had always been way over o the former side, as compared to "the competition." Here' hoping they don't chose this show, and the unfortunate damp fart of a match ending, as the point here they start insulting our intelligence with a "we meant to do that" approach.  I almost always trust AEW to do the right thing, but I am a little worried this time. I guess we'll all know soon enough.

17 hours ago, sek69 said:

Plus his initial intro to WWF with Gangrel tapped in to those people who had Vampire fetishes which was big at the time as well. 

I'm surprised they never did a Twilight inspired gimmick when that was hot. Although knowing how out of touch  and behind the times they are, I wouldnt be surprised if WWE came out with a twilight inspired gimmick tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I'm surprised they never did a Twilight inspired gimmick when that was hot. Although knowing how out of touch  and behind the times they are, I wouldnt be surprised if WWE came out with a twilight inspired gimmick tomorrow. 

Miz will be Edward won't he 

19 hours ago, gordi said:

I couldn't agree more. I will have to catch Dynamite after the fact today, and I'm a little on tenterhooks to see how this whole thing is handled. There's a whole continuum ranging from "treating the audience with respect" to "treating the audience with contempt" amf AEW had always been way over o the former side, as compared to "the competition." Here' hoping they don't chose this show, and the unfortunate damp fart of a match ending, as the point here they start insulting our intelligence with a "we meant to do that" approach.  I almost always trust AEW to do the right thing, but I am a little worried this time. I guess we'll all know soon enough.

See, that’s the point the “haters” are making.

This wasn’t a case of rampant dirt sheet/hot newz sites idle speculation causing exceptions to be so high.  

Had say Wight said “A strong veteran talent you all should know is coming” then yes, the haters would be acting like trolling douches.  But the overhype of “HOF caliber” and more teases, especially from Uncle Tony himself, lent everyone to think that a much bigger, and historically significant icon was coming.

I said it before, in terms of major team sport HOFs, Christian is that great star player that bubbled just under the top stars of the day, and position.  Not a first ballot HOFer, but toils for a number of years on the ballot, or gets in through another entrance, but will get in eventually.

Best you could say is would get in the promotion/team he played for’s “Hall” as soon as possible but not something more general (WON, the PW Hall in Texas).

They tout Billy Gunn as a HOFer.  Christian was always better than him.

Of the three possibilities Angle Is broken down and Punk is just broken with wrestling.  Every other guess didn’t adhere to the criteria.  It doesn’t matter if it took on a life of its own.  Any of the HOFers considered were disqualified.  If we are going to take the word of a wrestler in character and an owner/booker who was in sell mode then we deserve to be disappointed.  The same thing used to happen in ROH all the time on their board.  A surprise would be teased and everyone would ignore the clues.

I have read a number of threads and apparently AEW has a history of over promising...so people STILL took a character’s words seriously...and STILL made up their own qualifiers that hinted at the surprise.  Most of us probably had a good idea during the week that it was Christian...but disappointment reared it’s ugly face because Christian wasn’t some pie-in-the-Sky impossibility.  We guessed the surprise because the clues led us there.  If fans don’t like who the booker’s favourite wrestler is...that sounds like their struggle, not AEW’s.

Christian’s signing was “game changing’” or however Meltzer put it because he was supposed to be a lock for more WWE work.  He just appeared on their big January show.  WWE plucked Ben whatshisname after working Dark...and NXT.  They tried to sign away everyone from Schiavone to Eddie Kingston and Powerhouse Hobbs.  AEW answers by signing Christian.  The game changes because bigger stars want to work with the #2 promotion instead of WWE - the unchallenged #1 for almost twenty years. 

Who said the surprise was a top 5 Attitude Era Worker anyway?  Tony K already specified it was one of his faves.  If it was him making that claim then you need to consider the source...and decide that Christian is the only answer to the wrestling word puzzle presented to us.  

21 minutes ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

I have read a number of threads and apparently AEW has a history of over promising...

Quite the opposite actually. Until now, they always delivered on their promises and more.

Christian’s signing was “game changing’” or however Meltzer put it because he was supposed to be a lock for more WWE work.  He just appeared on their big January show.  WWE plucked Ben whatshisname after working Dark...and NXT.  They tried to sign away everyone from Schiavone to Eddie Kingston and Powerhouse Hobbs.  AEW answers by signing Christian.  The game changes because bigger stars want to work with the #2 promotion instead of WWE - the unchallenged #1 for almost twenty years. 

From that point of view, I would agree. It definitely sends the message that the guy who made his comeback at the Rumble would rather sign with the hot new thing than be at this year's Mania. But from the AEW audience standpoint, it's yet another WWE guy in their late 40's showing up, the second in a matter of two weeks. Which is not something that you want, no matter who they are. Of course Christian is the best guy of the bunch who could have realistically showed up. But still... there's a TNA feel somewhere with this a signing and announcement too, they should be very careful in how they use him if they don't want to send the wrong message (ie : former WWE guy who was never a main eventer there is equal to our best guys, despite also being 47).

Who said the surprise was a top 5 Attitude Era Worker anyway?  

Someone on the thread tried to justify the fact that Christian was a "huge huge star" (the words of Coach Tony K) because he was a "Top 5 star" during the Attitude Era. Which was rightfully made fun of to no end.

11 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Yes he is.

AEW's style is so far from what he's familiar with/comfortable with he'd probably not do well calling it if he was still in his prime, so late-stage-several-moscow-mules-before-the-show JR is not going to stand a chance. He really was great calling Cody-Dustin since that kind of match is his bread and butter, but he's just going to be exposed so bad calling a match with tons of flying around. 

Problem is he was apparently one of the reasons Tony was able to land a deal with TNT, so there's probably concern they'd upset their TV partners if they put him out to pasture.  

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Someone on the thread tried to justify the fact that Christian was a "huge huge star" (the words of Coach Tony K) because he was a "Top 5 star" during the Attitude Era. Which was rightfully made fun of to no end.

That someone was me, and you've mentioned it ad nauseum in multiple threads already. It's almost as if you're following me from thread to thread and gleefully repeating what I said like a crazed stalker with a walkie talkie or ham radio who has to broadcast "the signal" to anyone and everyone.

You're usually one of the best posters here, but you seem to be in quite the weird mood these days. Everything okay with you, man?

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

AEW's style is so far from what he's familiar with/comfortable with he'd probably not do well calling it if he was still in his prime

How did he do with matches like Pillman vs. Liger? Or was he already gone by then? I don't think so, but I can't remember for sure.

3 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Let's be real, we only have like 5-10 active posters anymore. We all follow each other around & click on any thread with new activity at this point. :D

LOL. But, damn, things haven't really gotten that bad around here, have they?