Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Revolution

Flyin' Brian

I believe there is another example out there (something along the lines of a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT and it just turned out to be where they were taking Dynamite) but the one that comes to mind is when TK promised the balance of power would shift and all it turned out to be was the return of PAC. Even if PAC had have been booked as a superstar on return it would have failed to live up, but he really is just a guy on the roster and I'd dare say he's been over-shadowed by Fenix.

Otherwise, I can't remember them hyping up too many announcements before. Their modus operandi is to have their talent rock up unannounced and it usually gets over based on how over the star is. If it's Moxley, great if it's Ethan Page...ooof.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, C.S. said:

That someone was me, and you've mentioned it ad nauseum in multiple threads already. It's almost as if you're following me from thread to thread and gleefully repeating what I said like a crazed stalker with a walkie talkie or ham radio who has to broadcast "the signal" to anyone and everyone.

Actually, I replied there because Ryan seemed to be under the impression we thought Tony K. said it or something. And I did not quote you nor singled you out, just mentioned it came from the board, not Tony K., so... And yes, it is kind of a fun and harmless running gag (plus I really like Christian).

3 hours ago, Coffey said:

Let's be real, we only have like 5-10 active posters anymore. We all follow each other around & click on any thread with new activity at this point. :D

Exactly this !

15 hours ago, sek69 said:

Basically one could say  the Christian deal was the first time Tony Khan carnied everyone (overhyping a surprises to sell a PPV) and a lot of people took it as a stretch (if not an all out break) of the trust he's built up so far. 

You are probably right that this is the first time they went carny to sell a ppv but let us not forget the whole promotion started with the giant lie that it would be a sports based presentation and they have never backed down from that even though it was an obvious lie. Just be honest about what you are and a lot of the haters would go away.

It is probably a good thing that this “trust” has been broken.  This layer of trust was tissue paper thin if it gets nit picked to death because AEW does this stunt to sell PPVs.  

We shouldn’t ever be so trusting of our entertainment.  AEW doesn’t want to be a larger Chikara.  Chikara had a very strange relationship with its fans. It felt like every unpopular decision Quack made was a personal attack on anyone who disagreed with results or matchmaking.  Whenever fans would stop following Chikara it sounded more like a breakup.  AEW has some of the same ingredients.  With both promotions almost all praise or grievance is usually directed at one person - Mike Quackenbush in Chikara and that DVDVR washout in AEW.

The vlog by the Bucks makes everyone look so personable or relatable for fans to follow.  They probably are.  They still need to sell tickets or buys.  

We CAN trust AEW more than WWE.  The first tries do everything to grow and maintain their fan base.  The second group tries to make money by popping a 70something horndog sleaze with a taste for potty humour.

21 hours ago, Strummer said:

WON says Revolution earned 7 million dollars in buys and was the highest grossing non wwe ppv since 1999

Which means Mox vs Omega in an Onita style match was a draw. Of course there's people that are gonna twist this again because Kenny Omega can't be successful in the real world and whatnot, but hey, one more for the good guys I guess.

Makes the absolute disaster of the post-match even more disastrous, but in the long run hopefully it won't hurt them.