Flyin' Brian

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Manatee said:

They must have needed to pop the buy rate enough that they were willing to sacrifice credibility.

Don't see how they sacrificed credibility. He's a huge star - top five Attitude Era guy - and definitely HOF-worthy as advertised.

The hype announcement is why people are disappointed. People desperately want a signing at the level that would completely change the playing field in terms of being competitive with WWE. That signing sadly doesn't exist, but it's why these types of surprise announcements take on a life of their own. The only people I think capable of doing that are John Cena and The Rock (and these days, possibly Dave Bautista) but that era is over.

2 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Not sure why anyone is disappointed, as it would've been a huge surprise without the hype announcement.

Because the hype didn't match what was delivered. I often see people criticize AEW for what I consider nitpicky things, but this was 100% on them for getting people thinking Punk/Cena/Brock level and delivering a so called mega star that wasn't even the biggest star on the tag team he's most famous for.

Just now, C.S. said:

Don't see how they sacrificed credibility. He's a huge star and definitely HOF worthy as advertised.

He's a mid card guy in a sea of mid card guys. Just like when they brought in Matt Hardy. That's my issue. 

I'm not touching the Top 5 nonsense. Great worker for sure but AEW isn't lacking in the workrate department. They're lacking in the "why should I watch this?" department on cable TV.

Everyone in this thread is suddenly Vince McMahon - shitting on tag team wrestling (newsflash: the TLC guys were almost as valuable as Austin and Rock) and thinking Edge is better than Christian because he has nicer hair and whiter teeth. What's next? Going to start posting with a blue dot too?

2 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Bro Top 5 is too high. He wasn't top two even in RECK.

Christian > Edge

Just now, C.S. said:

Everyone in this thread is suddenly Vince McMahon - shitting on tag team wrestling (newsflash: the TLC guys were almost as valuable as Austin and Rock) and thinking Edge is better than Christian because he has nicer hair and whiter teeth. What's next? Going to start posting with a blue dot too?

Edge is horrible and tag team wrestling is great but you are still wrong.

Christian is a strong signing for them. He's a great worker who I hope helps season people who need it. I can also seem him occasionally headlining when it makes sense.

I think the lesson here is that AEW is going to have to put in the long, slow work of creating their own stars since the people they can pluck, even if they throw all the money in the world at them, are (for the most part) not going to help them take any major shortcuts to growth. They are planting roses with Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara, MJF, Hangman Page, Jungle Boy, Wardlow, Will Hobbs and Ricky Starks as a great group to keep cultivating and building for the future, and those will be the people that ultimately determine if AEW sinks or swims in the long term. Getting that group over as major superstars is the most important thing for AEW's future.

3 minutes ago, C.S. said:

People forget how beloved those TLC matches were during the Attitude Era, and E&C won all of them. 

The team was Top 5...the specific characters?  Not as much.  I mean Billy Gunn and Road Dogg aren’t breaking a top 15 of specific performers, but NAO are up there in the upper echelon of the era.

1 minute ago, KawadaSmile said:

As a wrestler, yes. But you meant STAR, and that's where things go wrong

Nah. Christian is every bit the star Edge is - not his fault Vinnie Grapefruits could never see it. 

You can talk about TNA all you want, but no one was moving the needle for that little sinking ship that could.

1 minute ago, SteveJRogers said:

The team was Top 5...the specific characters?  Not as much.  I mean Billy Gunn and Road Dogg aren’t breaking a top 15 of specific performers, but NAO are up there in the upper echelon of the era.

NAO was great fun (well, before the bell rang anyway), but they didn't sell PPVs like E&C did with those TLC matches. 

As someone who was in high school and college during the Attitude Era and got to see first-hand how teens who weren't necessarily into wrestling before evaluated guys, I can confirm that Al Snow would rank higher on a list of Attitude Era guys than Christian.