Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - March 17, 2021

MoS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The women saved the show. There had been some good stuff on the show like the Pinnacle segment and the Mox/King promo, but there had been a lot of middling-to-bad stuff too. But that main event was tremendous, Britt has completed the old "to-be NWA champion goes on a territories tour putting over multiple people to have fresh feuds waiting for him" round, and now deserves the title. Love Shida, but it's Britt's time now. 

AEW is certainly in an interesting period right now. I feel that failed explosion shattered the honeymoon phase. We have discussed at length the issue of having a coherent sense of identity, and personally I hope they find one soon, cuz they really feel like they are on the cusp of breaking out and reaching the next level. Just a few missing pieces left. 

I wa brushing my teeth during so I missed the curb stomp. I hope it was the Super Dragon version and not the stupid Seth variation.

Somewhere in the “PC” a boy named Gabe is busy breaking shit.  John Silver vs Darby Allin is a very EVOLVE circa 2016 kind of match.  If only we could get the main eventers from that time in EVOLVE.  Gimme Hero vs Sabre next, please.

Women blading is something American TV might not tolerate.  What would our non-wrestling circle of friends say after seenu get Dreamslam 1 or that LCO vs Ayako Hamada & AKINO?  A lot of silly people don’t even want violence in pro wrestling.  We should just tell them that everything is done on computers thanks to COVID.  Those people can’t decide why they don’t like it.  They deserve to be mislead.

1 minute ago, Badlittlekitten said:

It sounds ghoulish but I was so pleased to see double juice from the women. That has to be a first on the national stage right? True parity. 

Is there any doubt that AEW's women's division is better than WWE's main roster at this point?

Great finish to a fairly mid episode this week. 

Better talent or used better? WWE has much better talent in their women's division (Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch, etc are head and shoulders above anybody in AEW) but WWE doesn't do anything interesting with them usually. I think wasted talent is a common theme in WWE across the board the last 10 to 15 years.

And yeah it sounds ghoulish, I don't care for juice in any women's match. Or thumbtacks in any match. 

7 minutes ago, MoS said:

AEW is certainly in an interesting period right now. I feel that failed explosion shattered the honeymoon phase. We have discussed at length the issue of having a coherent sense of identity, and personally I hope they find one soon, cuz they really feel like they are on the cusp of breaking out and reaching the next level. Just a few missing pieces left. 

To me AEW is a weird blend of WCW Nitro, FMW and old school studio wrestling, mixed together with a modern twists. Its the entertaining yet disjointed, disorganized TV show that Nitro was. The in ring style is big budget garbage wrestling like FMW. And they run old school angles and have quality promos like old school studio wrestling. They adapted all that to modern wrestling fans taste, with a women's division, an emphasis on acrobatic spots rather than believable in ring work, an inclusive corporate culture, etc...  

4 hours ago, Badlittlekitten said:

Is there any doubt that AEW's women's division is better than WWE's main roster at this point?

WWE's women's main roster is better. Sasha, Bayley, Asuka, Shayna, Charlotte, etc. are much better than the AEW female roster, but the AEW female roster are given much more liberty in their matches.

Britt Baker just destroyed herself in a brutal match and right after the match she spewed something along the lines of "the goal is to get 5 stars from Meltzer. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

WWE's women's main roster is better. Sasha, Bayley, Asuka, Shayna, Charlotte, etc. are much better than the AEW female roster, but the AEW female roster are given much more liberty in their matches.

Britt Baker just destroyed herself in a brutal match and right after the match she spewed something along the lines of "the goal is to get 5 stars from Meltzer. :rolleyes:

Nah, I can't think of a single good women's match or angle from the WWE since the Sasha/Bayley feud ended. It's dreadful. The talent is better, yes. The booking killed it dead. 

AEW's smoked them all year.

14 hours ago, MoS said:

I like MJF but he feels very performative to me. Like, his insults are the exact opposite of the kind of insults his idol Roddy Piper or another young charismatic wrestler with a meteoric rise The Rock used to make: all his clever burns seem rehearsed. Like he asked a bunch of interns to come up with 5 great burns for Jericho. Tully as the modern-day JJ is great though

I’m only here with Dynamite but that was my first thought too. It was really obvious during the Moxley feud too where Mox went off course slightly and he struggled to get back. The eventual Batista-esque Wardlow turn will be great

23 hours ago, sek69 said:

I'm always a sucker for the "heels exiting their private plane" gimmick, I'll give them that.

Also I like how everyone in this group has Horsemen based roles : Tully is JJ, Wardlow is Sid, MJF is Flair. FTR is Arn/Tully.....and there's Spears over there looking like the kid who walked in and sat down in the wrong classroom on the first day of school.

Spears is Paul Roma.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Can't believe people are still falling for the "Charlotte is a great worker" meme.

When she hurt Kairi & then in the same match, people saw Becky go out of her way & damn near break character/gimmick/kayfabe to help her, I think that's when a lot of people turned on Charlotte. That was not a good look for Charlotte, for sure.