Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - March 24, 2021

MoS

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same thing happened in WWE. The women's audience went down as the women started being pushed more. There doesn't seem to be much evidence that women as a whole want to watch women's wrestling, particularly ultraviolent women's wrestling. The exception is when the wrestlers are pushed as teen idols and role models to young girls. Bayley could have worked in that role, but we know how that turned out. Other than that, the best way to draw women has historically been with good-looking pretty boys who can sell sympathetically. And reality TV.

Another theory for losing female viewers put forward by Joe Lanza on his show review for Voices of Wrestling, based on ratings and quarters data, is that Kenny Omega might be an anti-draw with young women. Like, he might actively drive away that demographic

5 hours ago, MoS said:

Another theory for losing female viewers put forward by Joe Lanza on his show review for Voices of Wrestling, based on ratings and quarters data, is that Kenny Omega might be an anti-draw with young women. Like, he might actively drive away that demographic

That's surprising. He doesn't seem like a bad looking guy. He's probably in the upper-echelon of what would be considered a "pretty boy" in wrestling. Granted, that's graded on a curve as it is - "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton, Ricky Morton, etc.

13 hours ago, C.S. said:

That's surprising. He doesn't seem like a bad looking guy. He's probably in the upper-echelon of what would be considered a "pretty boy" in wrestling. Granted, that's graded on a curve as it is - "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton, Ricky Morton, etc.

I think his kinda hyper and dorky persona appeals more to a certain type of male wrestling fan. And tbf to the guy, he's been a legitimate draw on two continents and his segments on Dynamite generally do well. Impact is also way up year-on-year since he's been part of their storylines. I just think he might have a weak spot in this one area.

I think Dave's idea that it's the amount of blood, Lanza's that it's Kenny and the Challenge taking away the female demo are probably all factors as opposed to it being just one.

I'm interested in the fact that the Darby vs John Silver main event did well in the ratings a) because Darby is relatively new on this stage and Silver was basically no one a year ago and b) because I think Darby as a brooding emo dude who's attractive and sells a lot can appeal to a certain demographic of girls. I think AEW does have some hot guys that they could use to target the female audience, I just don't think Kenny Omega is one of them.

I can see why he was a babyface at first mainly because they knew the crowds would want to cheer him and that they wanted to build around Jericho as the top heel to kick off the promotion so Kenny as a babyface in the tag division kept him out of the way. Once they were ready to properly pull the trigger on him as the top act they turned him.

Kenny Omega can be a good babyface (the stuff with Ibushi). But he's a natural heel. The apex is Japan came from being the hottest heel that at one point, you gotta respect because he's so good. Currently, he's like one of the most amazing douchebag. Him & Callis are now just untouchable (not to mention the matches, which he delivers at a ridiculous rates including on weekly TV now, as shown by the great match against Sydal).

Horrifying thought I can't keep to myself:

At some point, a couple of these guys will end up in NXT because that's the way the cookie crumbles in wrestling.

Looking forward to GG Kool (Darby Allin) or Mack McKay (Jungle Boy)?

(How are my "Random NXT Name Generator" skillz?)

On 3/29/2021 at 2:45 PM, C.S. said:

Horrifying thought I can't keep to myself:

At some point, a couple of these guys will end up in NXT because that's the way the cookie crumbles in wrestling.

Looking forward to GG Kool (Darby Allin) or Mack McKay (Jungle Boy)?

(How are my "Random NXT Name Generator" skillz?)

WWE will 100% go after Jungle Boy ay some point just because his dad was a big star in the 90s and that's their target demo lol.

Kip is a perfectly average wrestler and makes a good douche manager for the hot girl. I don’t ever need to see him pushed but he’s fine. I think if her contract was up and someone showed Vince a picture of her in that wedding dress, he would send her a blank cheque.