Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - March 31, 2021

MoS

I'm not sure if there's any background to why there are dozens of arcade machines around the ring in the main but if there is the commentary hasn't really explained it. Why is there a whack a mole machine? 

Miro/Rusev easily the most credible offence I've saw so far, by a country mile.

I don't watch this show often but it is pretty confusing even if I have had a drink 

I do not believe cassidy could get anywhere near Miro in real life and I'm glad he is just getting the shit kicked out of him so far

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the most I've watched of dynamite in probably six months without turning it over. It's really not a good product but to be fair it is almost approaching crash TV at times and it did keep my attention 

Miro is clearly the star. Program him against moxley and drop omega and all those bums to the mid card 

13 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

There is nothing worse than going to advert break with one character on top and then coming back to see that same person getting the shit kicked out of him so badly that they can stack ring barricades on top of him. Makes zero sense

This has been happening in wrestling forever. It's actually pretty standard

2 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

That's the most I've watched of dynamite in probably six months without turning it over. It's really not a good product but to be fair it is almost approaching crash TV at times and it did keep my attention 

Miro is clearly the star. Program him against moxley and drop omega and all those bums to the mid card 

Calling Dynamite crash TV is certainly a take. We criticise Dynamite all the time but calling it this is nonsensical imo. 

I also have zero idea how anyone can look at the Dynamite roster and think Miro is the breakout star for any reason apart from "he has big muscles." I get a feature of getting old is thinking everyone is a bum and super-uncool, but it's probably also a sign that the times have passed you by. 

As for it not being crash TV I will put this comparison out to you. 

The semi-main was a women's tag team match with 10+ people on the outside, one of whom is Matt Hardy in a suit. There is a spot where one woman does a frogsplash and knocks down 5 men. The match is won after a Steve Blackman kendo stick spot.

The main event is a ring surrounded by arcade machines and there are at least 3 spots involving a whack a mole machine. A returning woman arrives via a claw machine-was she in it the whole time? The finish derives from some lad being driven in a white SUV by his mother- is this a Judy Bagwell reference intentionally or not. At one point Miro picked up a mame cabinet and tried to throw it at that cowboy looking lad whose mum drove him to the show.

Earlier Chris Jericho had thrown MJF through some garden furniture that's indoors for some reason and flushed his head down a toilet before throwing him through the sugar glass door to a pepsi fridge. 

It was a good laugh tbh but if you describe these spots without sentiment then it these angles are Russo-era crash TV at best. Embrace it

1 minute ago, Dale Wolfe said:

No need for the ageism either please kid, we are all just temporary vessels upon a rock in space. age is transient

Being behind the times and being old often overlap, but it's the inflexibility that makes you behind the times, not the age. 

13 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

It was a good laugh tbh but if you describe these spots without sentiment then it these angles are Russo-era crash TV at best. Embrace it

No. You obviously don't know your Russo well. First, with Russo crash TV, you get 3 minutes matches. Then, you never pay off your angles by something that actually makes sense or is satisfactory to the audience. Third : swerve, bro. Fourth : you humiliate women on weekly basis. Fifth : you book tournaments all the time with crappy short matches, more swerves and shit finishes and a result that will go nowhere. This really has nothing to do with Russo booking, and no one knows Russo booking more than ME, because I went through the whole fucking thing in both WCW and TNA. AEW is about as opposite as Russo's booking as you can get really.

11 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

As for it not being crash TV I will put this comparison out to you. 

The semi-main was a women's tag team match with 10+ people on the outside, one of whom is Matt Hardy in a suit. There is a spot where one woman does a frogsplash and knocks down 5 men. The match is won after a Steve Blackman kendo stick spot.

The main event is a ring surrounded by arcade machines and there are at least 3 spots involving a whack a mole machine. A returning woman arrives via a claw machine-was she in it the whole time? The finish derives from some lad being driven in a white SUV by his mother- is this a Judy Bagwell reference intentionally or not. At one point Miro picked up a mame cabinet and tried to throw it at that cowboy looking lad whose mum drove him to the show.

Earlier Chris Jericho had thrown MJF through some garden furniture that's indoors for some reason and flushed his head down a toilet before throwing him through the sugar glass door to a pepsi fridge. 

Oh yeah Vince Russo, famously known for wanting women to do frogsplashes and treating them like legit athletes. 

1 minute ago, El-P said:

No. You obviously don't know your Russo well. First, with Russo crash TV, you get 3 minutes matches. Then, you never pay off your angles by something that actually makes sense or is satisfactory to the audience. Third : swerve, bro. Fourth : you humiliate women on weekly basis. Fifth : you book tournaments all the time with crappy short matches, more swerves and shit finishes and a result that will go nowhere. This really has nothing to do with Russo booking, and no one knows Russo booking more than ME, because I went through the whole fucking thing in both WCW and TNA.

If all the examples this dude gave are "Russo-era crash TV" then basically every single wrestling show in the last 40 years is Russo-era crash TV. Just a meaningless comparison

Just now, Dale Wolfe said:

Ha! i stand by my opinion 

Its not a bad show but none of it really makes any sense. Yes the matches are longer but it doesn't mean the context is any different

Pretty extreme reactions lads. Calm down 

Everyone is calm, man. No one is taking it personally. 

I agree that a lot of things don't make sense, and that MJF and Darby have breakout potential 

1 hour ago, Dale Wolfe said:

I don't watch this show often but it is pretty confusing even if I have had a drink 

3 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Its not a bad show but none of it really makes any sense.

Well, the issue is that actually, pretty much everything made sense in term of why matches/angles happened (Mox vs Bononi was an overlong JTTS match but that's it) to anyone who actually follows the promotion. No comment on "I post while drunk", which apparently is the new thing around here (hey, I've done it before ok).

I wouldn't quite say drunk that's a bit much ha. It is Friday tho

I would put it this way regards making sense - unless it's a hugely involved storyline I should be able to throw a wrestling show on and understand the motivations of most characters & context should be easy enough. Dynamite doesn't really do that! Its messy and a bit scattergun and the commentary doesn't help. I thought Miro was a face! 

Anyway bellator is on now, so I am lurching from one rough show to another 

Have a good night gentlemen

2 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

I would put it this way regards making sense - unless it's a hugely involved storyline I should be able to throw a wrestling show on and understand the motivations of most characters & context should be easy enough. Dynamite doesn't really do that! Its messy and a bit scattergun and the commentary doesn't help. I thought Miro was a face! 

This is very fair and makes complete sense. Dynamite's booking has honestly gone down several notches in the last few months. Maybe Coach Tony K needs to realise that he cannot run an NFL team, an EPL team and a wrestling promotion at the same time.

3 hours ago, MoS said:

I also have zero idea how anyone can look at the Dynamite roster and think Miro is the breakout star for any reason apart from "he has big muscles."

I also think Miro, since ditching the best man streamer video game player gimmick & doing the "it's my destiny to be champion" gimmick is pretty much the most legit thing they have going. More so than whatever Omega is doing. Although I don't dislike Omega, I just think the teaming with the Good Brothers & working with Impact makes him look worse by association. I think if it were just him & Don he would be better off.

So we have been very critical of AEW in the last few months, but browsing Twitter in general always makes me feel really grateful for our little community, cuz the criticisms and arguments made on Wrestling Twitter are spectacularly stupid. Like, there are people who are complaining that AEW has TOO MANY FACTIONS. Like, what? These people would have despised 80s JCP 

I saw that tweet from Raj.

While it wasn't well articulated, I don't think he necessarily meant it like that. My interpretation is that the show was better when they centered around Cody and his storylines with Jericho and MJF. Those were well fleshed out storylines with some fantastic promos that got fans emotionally invested. The show has gone away from that and appears to be in a state of flux where the main take-away is the formation of all these new groups.

I don't think it's inherently wrong and it does distinguish AEW from WWE which is a good thing but they need to make it work.