Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - March 31, 2021

MoS

Meltz actually made the same critic, in that with all those factions you end up with too many people on the show and you really dilute the focus on getting a few key people over. I hear way worse (and misplaced) criticism on this board every week.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, not having focused storylines or having too much talent on-screen is a general externality and I don't think it has anything to do with factions at all. In fact, factions actually help with it, cuz it gives most people in them a sense of purpose or direction. The lack of focus isn't really affected by having factions with too many people being featured. That is a function of booking and would happen regardless if there is one faction or one hundred

I think Sue during the main event should have stepped on the gas and ran Miro over with the minivan. That would have been funny.

I liked Don Callis' promo towards the Young Bucks. I feel like Omega's character is that he feels he is the coolest guy in the room, and that's because Don Callis keeps telling Kenny he is. The Good Brothers are there as muscle, not just to protect Kenny from being attacked, but to also keep the Bucks and any of the Elite from talking sense  into Kenny. Kenny is actually a big geek, but since winning the title is living out his fantasy of being this cool wrestler guy, like a Ric Flair or The Rock or something. Like it is kind of a meta storyline in many ways. I don't watch BTE though so it's possible I am just reading the delusional geek part into what's been presented.

I am a big fan of the characters in wrestling, whether that comes through in skits and promos or through the matches. I do feel disappointed when a wrestler seems to have one kind of gimmick and then that gimmick doesn't seem to affect the way they wrestle. Darby is great at this, the way he wrestles looks so fearless and reckless and it fits the kind of character he is outside of the ring. I like Omega a lot more since the heel turn since he has much more of a character now, there is more for me to be invested into.

Have to be honest, Cassidy/Best Friends getting "Where Is My Mind?" as their theme has immediately enhanced my enjoyment of their act. I actually kind of loved the finish to the Arcade Anarchy match when that song hit and they celebrated in the ring and waved to Sue. 

I'm a big supporter of the faction model. Makes booking and storytelling easier. I hate that WWE has generally been so avoidant of them for so long. Part of me still wants the roster to be trimmed though. 

On 4/2/2021 at 4:57 PM, El-P said:

Paz Lenchantin. She rules too.

Laredo Kid is one of the best AAA guys. I sure hope he shows up regularly.

Pac is injured, so I guess that has been put on hold sadly. Guy can't catch a break.

What was interesting is that when they dropped Legos on the mat, you could almost hear JR going into his old grumpy mode and here's Tony flying to the rescue putting it over big time in a super smart way. 

This is how out of touch I am.  I know Paz from APC but had no idea she played with the Pixies.

In fact, I had no idea the Pixies existed as a band still.  I think I might be a purist who says it can't be them without Kim, but then again I accepted GnR without Slash.......

I wouldn't point to 80s JCP as an example of factions done right. They mainly existed as vehicles for Dusty to drain the heat of other babyfaces by attaching himself to them like a lamprey or having them turn on him. I personally don't care for factions that aren't created for the purpose of achieving a specific goal like "destroy WCW" or "restore strong style."

16 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I liked Don Callis' promo towards the Young Bucks. I feel like Omega's character is that he feels he is the coolest guy in the room, and that's because Don Callis keeps telling Kenny he is. The Good Brothers are there as muscle, not just to protect Kenny from being attacked, but to also keep the Bucks and any of the Elite from talking sense  into Kenny. Kenny is actually a big geek, but since winning the title is living out his fantasy of being this cool wrestler guy, like a Ric Flair or The Rock or something. Like it is kind of a meta storyline in many ways. I don't watch BTE though so it's possible I am just reading the delusional geek part into what's been presented.

I am a big fan of the characters in wrestling, whether that comes through in skits and promos or through the matches. I do feel disappointed when a wrestler seems to have one kind of gimmick and then that gimmick doesn't seem to affect the way they wrestle. Darby is great at this, the way he wrestles looks so fearless and reckless and it fits the kind of character he is outside of the ring. I like Omega a lot more since the heel turn since he has much more of a character now, there is more for me to be invested into.

I think this is a good read. They haven't done much at all with Omega on BTE recently (even the interactions between the Bucks and Good Brothers are a few weeks back now). The BTE stuff has been more about Callis clearly getting in the Bucks' heads - particularly Matt.

Factions are a good way to get more people included in angles and storylines, and since AEW has a lot of people and not a lot of TV time it seems like a good way to try to get as many people in the mix as possible. 

People who stop watching AEW (or any promotion really) over there being too many factions seems like a mythical being that no one has actually confirmed exists. It seems like the wrestling version of people on Twitter who have young children who suddenly have in depth political opinions (or wrestling reporters who talk to their barbers about Bad Bunny). It just doesn't seem to exist IRL.

Having too many factions can lead to a dilution of the overall product. Just like most sports leagues have diluted themselves due to expansion, I feel you would run into the same problem with wrestling. As it is, WWE feels bloated and diluted because they have so many guys and gals on the main roster between two “brands” plus NXT US and UK even though in ring it’s probably as good as it’s ever been. AEW is going to have the same problem filling over 4+ hrs of content on TNT and YouTube. 

There’s only going to be so many big teams or factions fans will care about or draw money with. For as good as the Tampa Bay Rays or Oakland A’s can be, they just don’t draw the same interest as when the Yankees or Red Sox do well. As it is, Bullet Club/The Elite even as the top factions for US indie groups/AEW have only been able to generate so much interest.