Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
SirEdger

AWA 1981

American Wrestling Association - Wikipedia

AWA LIVE @ Chicago, IL

April 4th, 1981

-The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke beat Ron Starr & Prof Toru Tanaka (w/Lord Alfred Hayes) in 7:51

-Tito Santana beat Thunderbolt Patterson in 10:53

-Mando Guerrero beat "Rock N' Roll" Buck Zumhofe in 14:32

-Larry Zbyszko beat "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal in 14:37

-"Crippler" Ray Stevens (w/Bobby "The Brain" Heenan) beat Matt Borne in 12:31

-Jerry Barber beat Negro Casas in 11:21

Before the main event, Big Daddy Bundy & Eric Embry made their way to the ring for the main event, along with Bobby Heenan. Heenan officially introduced Bundy & Embry as the newest members of the Heenan Family and Heenan talks about the AWA World Title match tomorrow night in Green Bay that Eric Embry has with champion Verne Gagne. The match is announced to be best 2 out of 3 Falls and Heenan is upset that all Heenan Family members will be barred from ringside, Heenan included. Heenan guarantees that he'll soon have all the gold in his stable. Big Daddy Bundy & Eric Embry taunt the High Flyers about their recent lack of success in regaining the AWA World Tag Team Championship from the East-West Connection and Bundy says it's gonna be a piece of cake to beat Jim Brunzell in the main event tonight!

-In the main event, Jim Brunzell beat Big Daddy Bundy in 14:26 after "Crippler" Ray Stevens accidentally hit Bundy with a chair while Eric Embry was distracting the referee Marty Miller. Verne & Greg Gagne ran in to equalize things. Post-match, Bundy gets upset at Stevens and clocks him with a right hand, challenging him to a match in Green Bay tomorrow night!

American Wrestling Association - Wikipedia

AWA LIVE @ Brown County Veterans Memorial Arena, Ashwaubenon, WI

April 5th, 1981

Taped Fist Match: AWA World Tag Team Champion Adrian Adonis (w/Jesse Ventura) beat The Iranian Assassin (w/Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie) in 8:24

-Jim Brunzell beat Prof. Toru Tanaka in 17:17

-Big Daddy Bundy beat "Crippler" Ray Stevens (w/Bobby "The Brain" Heenan) in 14:07. After the match, Lord Alfred Hayes comes out and shakes hands with Bundy, clearly indicating that they're now working together!

Submission Match: Robert Gibson beat Ricky Morton in 18:45 with a Figure Four Leglock

-Moondog Moretti upsets Baron Von Raschke in 12:12 after Lord Alfred Hayes throws Moondog's bone to him so he can use it on Von Raschke behind referee Gary DeRusha's back!

-The Wild Samoans beat The Hennigs in 15:08 after Sika pinned Curt Hennig with a falling headbutt

-Jerry Blackwell destroys "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers in 65 seconds

AWA World Heavyweight Championship, Best 2 out of 3 Falls: Challenger Eric Embry and Champion Verne Gagne fight to a 30-minute limit draw with 1 fall apiece. After the match, Nick Bockwinkel charges the ring and nails Verne Gagne with a roll of coins. Bockwinkel then poses with the AWA World Heavyweight Championship belt to close the show

Loving this so far. You've done a great job gathering so much of the great AWA talent, and you're booking them perfectly.  I am loving seeing Bockwinkel attack Gagne (always loved Bock, even back then) and I love seeing Bobby The Brain with Ray Stevens during the AWA glory days as well.  Plus you've got The Baron and of course Jerry Blackwell.  It really takes me back.

AWA kicks off with a bang... Bock and Verne are always a good starting piece for that world's title. I like the Samoans against the Hennigs... this will give Curt some real shine to build upon. I also love Robert v Ricky... they didn't do well in 1991 but in 1981 I am sure it would be pretty cool to see. Also... Lord Alfred is so underrated... he and Bundy... what a team!

Thanks, guys! For Ricky & Robert, it's pretty much part of my plan to slowly give birth to the Rock N' Roll Express down the road. My challenge right now is to find the right time - and the right opponents - to pull the triggr on it!