Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - April 7, 2021

MoS

It's all in the balance. I get why they maybe didn't want to do Jericho-Mox again when Mox's reign was gonna go long, but not doing a rematch on Cody-MJF was kinda ridiculous. And part of that was, I think, not having a PPV for it right away - they had the TNT tournament final at DoN (and of course, MJF couldn't be in that because of Covid), but then they didn't have another show until September and Cody was off taping Go Big, and when he came back they wanted to move to Darby... shit happens, but they probably have a slot for it if they have a July PPV and not just a TV special.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't get is why we need x number of pay per views a year? That's led to what wrestling's been for the for the last 25 years which is PPVs that need a big match rather than a big match that needs to be on PPV. I look at that as Eric Bichoff's first mistake. And everyone else followed suit. And now UFC is doing it. So AEW increasing to 6 PPVs a year wouldn't right the ship. 

Less is more. AEW has done so well because its PPVs actually mean something and feel big. I would hate to see AEW move away from this concept. Everyone is over exposed. Less is more. Keep it simple and straight-forward. "Mania Fatigue" should never be the goal of any company. A 7 hour show? Why? 12-16 PPVs a year should not be a goal of any company outside of WWE (and WWE shouldn't be doing it, but WWE is a content farm now so that ship sailed a long time ago). Keep it simple. Over deliver, but do not over saturate. Less is more.

Too many PPVs is a problem from a storytelling standpoint, but so is too few. If there's too much time between big shows, you end up spending a lot of time spinning your wheels or making storylines needlessly complicated. And if you fill in the gaps with supercards on free TV, that makes the PPVs less special. I'd say in most cases, the ideal build for a PPV is 6 to 8 weeks. That maps out to 7 or 8 PPVs a year.

Yeah, that's the main issue I have with AEW booking. They don't do much with all the extra time between big shows and so they're just spinning their wheels repeating themselves for months. Which on the other hand works out if you just want to tune in every 4 weeks or so, you'll be caught up on everything and not really miss anything through to the next PPV either.