Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - April 21, 2021

MoS

That comically bad Sting-Luchasaurus punches and "headlock" sequences aside, I thought the main event was excellent. Darby is the man. I dunno what the deal with this Archer shit is, but I really hope they are building to Darby-Archer and not Sting-Archer

Really enjoyed that show, but I agree that Jericho's promos are dire. On the plus side, Ogogo seems to be getting a decent push (the Factory feud is kinda bizarre, I actualy think the booking is very good, the only issue is I barely care about anyone in it), Darby and JB pulled off another great main, Mox and Eddie were awesome as always, and absolutely loved the women's title match and the Pinnacle promo.

On 4/21/2021 at 7:57 PM, Enforcer said:

That match was really great. I know that Britt is awesome and it’s her time but man, I could take another year of Shida as champion. 

Agreed 100% I've loved Shida's run so much and she has killed it in every match she has had. Britt winning the title coming off losses to Thunder Rosa and Nyla not long ago feels off to me, even though the Thunder Rosa one "doesn't count" since it was unsanctioned.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:02 PM, MoS said:

That comically bad Sting-Luchasaurus punches and "headlock" sequences aside, I thought the main event was excellent. Darby is the man. I dunno what the deal with this Archer shit is, but I really hope they are building to Darby-Archer and not Sting-Archer

I actually felt like it was leading to Sting & Archer teaming up, against I guess Scorpio & Ethan. Though it initially felt like a build to Archer vs Sting for sure and Archer had previously named Sting as the legend he wished he got to work.

9 hours ago, Alucard said:

Agreed 100% I've loved Shida's run so much and she has killed it in every match she has had. Britt winning the title coming off losses to Thunder Rosa and Nyla not long ago feels off to me, even though the Thunder Rosa one "doesn't count" since it was unsanctioned.

I actually felt like it was leading to Sting & Archer teaming up, against I guess Scorpio & Ethan. Though it initially felt like a build to Archer vs Sting for sure and Archer had previously named Sting as the legend he wished he got to work.

Yeah, I've been assuming the build is Archer and Sting teaming up. Agree with the other comment, as well - I'm a huge fan of Britt's, but I'd be happy to see Shida carry on as champion, she's doing an awesome job. 

I like Shida, but I feel all of her matches are 5-8 minutes too long. It feels glaring obvious to me that her matches should be a tad shorter. Am I the only one? I enjoy her and I think AEW is doing the right thing going all in on her, but I am often left thinking that I just saw a decent 15 minute match that has a really good 8 minute match somewhere in there. I will not pretend that Shida approaches HHH Mania levels of drawing something out, but shaving off some of her match times will benefit her and the cards she is on.

I find her reign interminably long and mostly pretty boring, and for someone that has all these big strikes, her strikes often look very very light if not missing all together. It also feels like despite being champion, she's in a completely different division than the rest of the women. It's all very reminiscent of Asuka's booking but without the swag and entertainment value Asuka brings.

FWIW, Shida and Conti did excellently in the quarter and minute-by-minute ratings. The women's division's booking has definitely picked up steam in the last few months. The belt has to go to Britt though. Shida has been an extremely important champ, but Britt is the major star right now, and they have a lot of young babyfaces in the wings to challenge her.

18 hours ago, Alucard said:

That is what i taught as well. It feels like Sting will take Archer away from Jake and they will team together. 

If Scorpio and Page are going to face Sting/Archer, i think that they should beat SCU first. Scorpio breaking up SCU would make sense. 

5 hours ago, SirEdger said:

If there wasn't a better time than this summer to put the title on Britt Baker and maybe pull the trigger on a crossover feud with Deonna Purrazzo from Impact, I don't know when it would be.

I would absolutely love Shida vs Deonna, since Deonna and Britt are both heels.

Personally, I just want to feel something about the AEW Women's World title in general, which I haven't felt ever since its creation. As much as I love Shida in the ring, I have yet to be invested in a storyline involving her. In hindsight, maybe something with Deonna could accomplish that.