Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite BLOOD AND GUTS - May 5, 2021

MoS

1 minute ago, strobogo said:

They have to stop with these big stunt bumps, they've looked minor league every single time.

It wouldn't have been an issue if JR wasn't screaming about how the floor is PURE CONCRETE

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, MoS said:

I will say this though, while the finish worked for me in the sense that it showed Jericho getting outsmarted and being the weak link, going to the cage top when the entire idea of War Games is that you are trapped and the only way to win is submit or surrender. Kind of makes the gimmick useless and superfluous, although of course Hell in a Cell saw plenty of escapes too

I had the same taught. At first I was annoyed when I saw them on the roof but since the finish was smart, I didn’t have a problem with it in the end.  

They'll also do well not to book any crazy big-time high-impact spot for a loong while though. It just never seems to work for them. Maybe it's a sign from the wrestling gods. At least this time they didn't ask people to fork over $50 for a PPV to potentially see Jericho fall softly onto a crash pad 

Perhaps 50something aging rock stars who also wrestle (sometimes with COVID bonus) shouldn’t be taking bumps off a cage or falls off a stage.  

That bump that Jericho took looked rather...comfortable almost.  I am shocked that he didn’t try and make “snow angels” with all of that landing apparatus that they built for Jericho.  It resembled our childhood days falling off a deck into huge snowbanks during our robust Canadian winters.

The match itself was better than I imagined it would be.  This was definitely not the 98 or 2000 versions of the match-type.  I’d put this edition above one of the NWO (96, 97) entries but below the two great ones from 91 and 92.  There might be six or so that are definitely immediately  better.  I saw one two-ring war games from Adam Page’s former home promotion.  With no build up for that match at all I would rate it a bit above Blood & Guts if we are keeping score.  When this type of match is done properly it is really hard for it to not be at least a well booked heated brawl...which Blood & Guts was.  Keeping the rules that Dusty wrote down on stone tablets, a War Games match has a basement of at least ***3/4.  This one tonight was a very satisfying ****.  It loses points for Crash Test Jericho.

Why did Cody blade in an undercard match at the start of a feud?  Stuff like that almost makes me start to believe all the evil genius Cody talk.  

All in all, that was a fantastic War....uhh.... BLOOD AND GUTS match. The NXT ones are fine, but double ring/cage with weapons and no blood will never not be lame to me, and this match delivered everything I was hoping to see. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Why did Cody blade in an undercard match at the start of a feud?  Stuff like that almost makes me start to believe all the evil genius Cody talk.  

Dusty was his dad, and Ric Flair was his favorite wrestler as a kid. We should be lucky he doesn't walk around with a crimson mask 24/7.

By the way, my 80 year old dad who has watched wwwf/wwf/wwe since the 1970’s has been watching Dynamite with me for the past 4 weeks. Tonight he clearly told me, yeah this is better than McMahon’s garbage. He says that he is done with wwe and will be watching AEW instead. Blood and Guts pushed him over the fence. I am so proud hahaha. 

I am honestly surprised that more people on Twitter are talking about the stupid bump than other, actual issues with the match, like the fact that, as pointed out, the old crazy violent intensity of War Games isn't very compatible with the long, epic, all-the-moves-in-the-world modern War Games. The bump was funny and stupid but unlike the terrible explosion dud at Revolution, this was normal wrestling level funny/stupid.

Chris Jericho doing a bad Shane McMahon impression isn't the issue. Chris Jericho being slow as a molass and seemingly having forgotten how to wrestle in front of a camera, with all his spot-calling (literally tapping MJF's leg when it was time to reverse the walls) and no-selling and blatant blading, on the other hand, is a big issue. He better be out for the rest of the year. He needs some absence so we start missing him and get fond of him. 

Imagine having a reality show about a wrestling couple, and it is Cody and Brandi, and not Mox and Kingston. I want a three-hour buddy cop movie starring Mox and King. Followed by a TV show about my favourite couple in wrestling 

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Oof. That bump. AEW and meme endings to big stipulation matches.

They are risking themselves with those poorly planned big spots, specially because they end up hogging the spotlight whether the match is good or not. 

I mean, Shotzi was already poking fun at that shitty bump. It's the climax to a big match, make sure it's perfect.

7 minutes ago, MoS said:

Imagine having a reality show about a wrestling couple, and it is Cody and Brandi, and not Mox and Kingston. I want a three-hour buddy cop movie starring Mox and King. Followed by a TV show about my favourite couple in wrestling 

I still want a Netflix series where it's Mox and Kingston going around just being bros, and occasionally stopping to murder people.

6 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

They are risking themselves with those poorly planned big spots, specially because they end up hogging the spotlight whether the match is good or not. 

I mean, Shotzi was already poking fun at that shitty bump. It's the climax to a big match, make sure it's perfect.

LMAO at anyone who works in the QAnon capital of wrestling making fun of anything in wrestling for being funny or embarrassing 

10 minutes ago, MoS said:

LMAO at anyone who works in the QAnon capital of wrestling making fun of anything in wrestling for being funny or embarrassing 

Fed Bad!

Yes, just because you have a coworker being a jackass means you're automatically one as well and it deprives you being able to poke fun at something embarrassing and poorly planned elsewhere.

Edit: And yes, it's cool seeing the AEW fans on here are as overly sensitive and defensive as the ones elsewhere.

Just now, MoS said:

I mean, she did get people heated with a simple gif, so AEW might as well improve on their big bumps and prevent that from becoming a regular thing. One does not want to become known for unintentionally funny spots.

1 minute ago, MoS said:

I was thinking more LMAO at the person who seemingly tries to kill herself with dangerous spots in every match she's in trying to clown on someone trying to be safe. 

1 minute ago, Edwin said:

Overly defensive, but oh yeah, Fed Bad.

Yeah the fed sucks, thanks for agreeing! No one criticises AEW here more than I do, so I am perfectly comfortable with my sensitivity about AEW. SHotzi Blackheart trying to troll someone for a funny bump that is a trademark of one of her bosses is hilarious.

1 minute ago, KawadaSmile said:

I mean, she did get people heated with a simple gif, so AEW might as well improve on their big bumps and prevent that from becoming a regular thing. One does not want to become known for unintentionally funny spots.

It's not a regular thing at all, given they do crazy stuff every week. But they should definitely improve upon easily avoidable nonsense like not hiding the crash pad. Again to reiterate though, a funny bump is a dime a dozen in wrestling and is really not the story of the night. Not knowing how to stick the landing in general is the bigger issue.  Omega being a dork who undercuts the big match they have been building to for weeks 10 minutes before it begins is the bigger issue.

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I was thinking more LMAO at the person who seemingly tries to kill herself with dangerous spots in every match she's in trying to clown on someone trying to be safe. 

She has nearly killed herself on live TV on so many occasions, it is ridiculous. I haven't watched NXT in a while, but last year I remember watching at 5:30 AM when it would air in India and feeling like I was dreaming, it used to get scary.

I don't even think the issue is that it was safe, but it *looked* shitty. They are not a low-budget fed, they can afford to have better production values while making it safe for their performers.

Furthermore, talent and announcers having to, once again, sell the moment like ABSOLUTE DEATH OMG JERICHO IS GOING TO BE PARAPLEGIC just makes things worse.

8 minutes ago, sek69 said:

You're missing the point. It's not about it being safe, it's about it being embarrassingly fake.

You have these guys bleeding all over the place and sell the brutality of it and then pull off a whoopee cushion comedy bump for a grand finish and try to sell it as death on concrete.

Same thing they did in the exploding barb wire death match.

1 minute ago, KawadaSmile said:

I don't even think the issue is that it was safe, but it *looked* shitty. They are not a low-budget fed, they can afford to have better production values while making it safe for their performers.

Furthermore, talent and announcers having to, once again, sell the moment like ABSOLUTE DEATH OMG JERICHO IS GOING TO BE PARAPLEGIC just makes things worse.

One bad-faith defence by AEW fans on Twitter is that the ones criticising it want wrestlers to take unsafe bumps and get injured. Like, no, not at all. Just shoot it better. Or at least TRY to hide the crash pad. They probably were really scared about a repeat of the All Out Matt Hardy situation and went in the other direction. J.R using his patented Owen Hart voice definitely hurt. 

5 minutes ago, fakeplastictrees said:

It's so simple. MJF tosses Jericho off the cage and the camera shows Jericho fly off the cage, but doesn't show the landing. AEW can sweeten the audio just a bit so we can hear the hard landing. Camera focuses back on MJF, Inner Circle members reactions, and then back on MJF looking down at his masterpiece. Don't show Jericho. Don't show the crash pad. This could have been shot so much better and the laziness of it all is frustrating to see as everyone in the match deserves more. If AEW really wants to show Jericho, do a close up on his face so we can see the blood and pain. Have the production guys remove the crash pad and tuck it under the ring. This was really badly done and a KOTR 98 highlight reel moment was squandered for no reason. Absolute dog shit.

This is much harsher than my reaction but I think it is fair. Really like the point about focusing on MJF's face. He already had a crimson mask, and he has great facial expressions. It would have made for a tremendous visual. I actually went and rewatched the KOTR 98 spot, and they never shows a close-up of Mankind going through the table until like the 5th replay. The live angle was a wide shot and it made it even better imo, cuz you could see the pure distance which Foley travelled in his brief fall.

It's really weird cuz I am sure they did some rough rehearsals of this match, and the spot. Did they not bother trying to see how their intended production would look like?