Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite BLOOD AND GUTS - May 5, 2021

MoS

12-34 female viewers were down 26% over the median of the past four weeks, so there is a significant chunk of women who are driven away by blood and violence. Overall, though, the rating can't be considered anything but a smashing success. The question is whether the ending will hurt them in the coming weeks. Revolution was a huge success on PPV, but the dud of an explosion likely played a role in ratings going into a tailspin for a few weeks.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Blood and Guts largely delivered what was promised even with the Jericho pillow bump. The PPV was built on seeing shit get blowed up and didn't deliver so it seems like that would be a difference. 

Also next week's show is so ridiculously stacked I don't see how anyone would skip it based on one bump.

I think the main issue is people watch wrestling to disband reality. So when you get to watch the sausage get made as the old saying goes it takes away.

I have ZERO issues with anything to promote safety. Jericho is 50 years old...I mean he doesn't have to take that bump by pad or anything. The fact he did just shows he bought in. Also after what happen with Matt Hardy I wouldn't care if they threw him into a pit of teddy bears. Cause that Matt fall was completely UNECCESARY! It's all about safety in this day and age. Hate all you want but it's true. Look at sports in a whole. Everything is taking away NFL, NBA, Baseball they are all promotion safety. So what if the crash pad could be seen. I knew the bump was coming the whole time, but it didn't hurt anything in my eyes. Yes, they could they have shot it better of course they could have but that's just how it goes in hindsight. Look at the deathmatch with the sparklers. People freaked out, said it was going to kill AEW's momentum and made fun of it but AEW moved on and that's what will happen here. They will just move on and if they smart they will pay NO mind to twitter or anyone else.

It's like the old saying goes all the people will remember is the last moment. Everything being complained about is hindsight...I mean of course things could have went better but I am sure Foley wishes he had a crash pad when he was thrown off the cell. I just think most the complaints are just non factors and AEW will be just fine. I mean how many murders has WWE had in their time? 

If anyone honestly is soooo upset they decide to ditch AEW cause they protected a 50 year old man. I have no clue what to tell them. I thought the match was great. It had everything I wanted from it. I wasn't a fan of some things but hey that's wrestling. Nobody likes the same thing which is why the business has lasted so long. Solid show and very excited for Miro/Darby next week.

I also thought Bully Ray mentioning that Impact should be upset that Nakazowa was carrying their belt and not Omega should be a punch in the face. Impact even being mentioned on AEW television is a god send for that company. So who cares if Nakazowa is holding the title cause they get free Omega matches. I mean why would Impact care if they get Kenny Omega on their PPVs.

Also I don't care for the build but another Omega/Pac match sounds awesome to me. Same for Orange he has won me over and I think he would be just fine to face Kenny.

3 minutes ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

I also thought Bully Ray mentioning that Impact should be upset that Nakazowa was carrying their belt and not Omega should be a punch in the face. Impact even being mentioned on AEW television is a god send for that company. So who cares if Nakazowa is holding the title cause they get free Omega matches. I mean why would Impact care if they get Kenny Omega on their PPVs.

Yeah I get what he's saying, but more eyeballs were on the Impact belt with Nakazowa wearing it than any of the last dozen actual Impact champs. As long as they aren't throwing it in a trash can on Dynamite they should be happy with it. 

The crash pad was unfortunate in how it came off, but that was the least of the issues involving Jericho in that match, which were pointed out in the moment as him being absolutely fucking terrible like he had completely forgotten how to wrestle in front of an audience or on TV despite being a 30 year vet. I can't imagine how much post production work he's forced upon the team in taped matches to make him not look like dogshit.

I have seen people say that they have had bad finishes to two straight big-time gimmick matches now, and like, are we just going to ignore the Lights Out Britt-Rose match? Maybe Britt can teach Jericho how to blade without showing the entire world what he is doing. 

I'd rather see a safe bump that looks bad than a dangerous bump, however good it looks - but it shouldn't be an either/or, they should be able to film it well enough that they're not showing the crash pad. As strobogo says above, I also don't think the bump was the worst thing about Jericho in that match - he just didn't seem to wrestle like it was a blood feud. 

And agree with MoS on Britt/Thunder being an awesome ending, probably my favourite of the year so far except for maybe Sasha/Bianca. 

6 hours ago, MoS said:

I have seen people say that they have had bad finishes to two straight big-time gimmick matches now, and like, are we just going to ignore the Lights Out Britt-Rose match? Maybe Britt can teach Jericho how to blade without showing the entire world what he is doing. 

It’s not just that...

Arcade Anarchy was pretty well received with no calamities whatsoever.

I dunno if we are ready to move beyond the War Games discussion, but what did you all think of the Omega promo? I thought it was boring, went way too long, and did nothing but attempt to bury Orange, when they need to build him in his first PPV main event. Thankfully, Omega sucks at cutting heel promos so he couldn't actually bury Orange, but the booking was so weird. What, was Omega watching Raw 2002-04? Did he think "You know what our show REALLY needs? Some of those 15-min rambling heel world champ Triple H promos about how my opponent isn't on my level."

Also it was funny to listen to him say Orange copied him by wearing sunglasses. I can think of one or two wrestlers who wore goggles to the ring before Omega

I think most AEW promos have guys essentially burying their opponents because it's the kind of pseudo insider type promos that they know will always pop their audience. Cody has been really bad with that as well but you've seen it from Jericho/MJF in all of their feuds. 

Also there's a difference between a 2002-2004 Raw promo where the champ says the challenger is a nobody and then completely flattens them in the match to prove to the fans they were a nobody, and one where the champ says the challenger is a nobody then in the match the challenger takes it to him and beats his ass until the champ has to cheat to hang on. 

One completely reinforces to your fanbase that the challenger is a chump and the other reinforces that the champ took this guy lightly and had to resort to cheating like a little bitch to win. 

Of course Omega's booking is not close to as awful as Hunter's run of terror, but that promo was not a good sign. Trying too hard to be unlikeable and looking like a geek in the process is also a valid explanation.

21 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I think most AEW promos have guys essentially burying their opponents because it's the kind of pseudo insider type promos that they know will always pop their audience. Cody has been really bad with that as well but you've seen it from Jericho/MJF in all of their feuds. 

I don't get that. Their most acclaimed promo guys are Mox, King and Taz, and none of those three use shooty insider terms (Kingston saying he is not going to do sports-entertainment aside, but that's the opposite of an insider term) or bury their opponents in any way. Unless you think Mox calling MJF a virgin is burying him, but I admittedly popped at that

5 minutes ago, MoS said:

Of course Omega's booking is not close to as awful as Hunter's run of terror, but that promo was not a good sign. Trying too hard to be unlikeable and looking like a geek in the process is also a valid explanation.

I don't get that. Their most acclaimed promo guys are Mox, King and Taz, and none of those three use shooty insider terms (Kingston saying he is not going to do sports-entertainment aside, but that's the opposite of an insider term) or bury their opponents in any way. Unless you think Mox calling MJF a virgin is burying him, but I admittedly popped at that

No, I'm talking about guys like Cody/Jericho/MJF saying their opponents are shitty mid carders no one likes and then going on to beat them or otherwise pointing out all of their flaws and doing nothing to build them up before they beat them or lose to them. You don't want MJF pointing out that Jericho is old, fat, and fucking sucks in the ring now before a match. You don't want Cody completely burying MJF/QT/Archer/Spears/Solow and then decisively beating them. I know he put MJF over in that feud but he buried the fuck out of him on promos and then MJF didn't do shit for a year, much like Jericho spending the entire feud with OC burying the shit out of him on promos and even if he put him over multiple times, OC did nothing for the next 5 months and gained nothing from it.