Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Gertner

My World : Jeff Jarrett's podcast

Recommended Posts

Listened to the first episode. It's was pretty decent. Jeff is either ridiculously honest or ridiculously full of it. Haven't decided yet. I'll definitely be giving it a chance in my rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been catching up on pods and just listened to the first one earlier today.

I loved it.  I think it's generally honest with a healthy load of what you'd expect from someone like Jeff.  That said, I found it fascinating, and Conrad was really good because this era is totally his wheelhouse.

Jeff is an AMAZING get for Conrad considering all the ground he can cover from growing up in the business, to working his way up, to everything in the 90's, to TNA and beyond.  There's so much fucking shit he can talk about, and as a worker who worked with everybody, who was also a promoter, who also grew up in the business I feel he's got a really fucking unique perspective that guys like JR and Bruce simply can't have

And, I've always had a special place in my heart for Ol' JJ due to his first WWF run coinciding with the time period that made me a lifelong fan oddly enough, even though I'm old enough to remember rock n wrestling and the mid 90's pre-Nitro are considered by many to be the worst time in the modern business.  That's always so fucking funny to me because I oddly enough got really hooked in like 92-95

Anyway, I don't want to spoil anything from the first ep, but definitely check it out if you're into this era.  It's long, but it's worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second episode was great as well, although Conrad line of "Vince liked it when you held him up for money" at the end of the podcast was ridiculous 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gertner said:

Second episode was great as well, although Conrad line of "Vince liked it when you held him up for money" at the end of the podcast was ridiculous 

In a weird way I could see that being true, as Vince does have a history of respecting people who stand up for themselves and/or tell him to F off. Like I'm sure he was pissed he had to pay the guy, but I'd 100% believe he'd also go "Goddamn! I like the balls on that guy!" afterwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is purely speculation, but I always got the sense Vince held JR accountable for that whole ordeal.

Even reading it in Under The Black Hat, everything came across that way. Yes. Vince was pissed that Jeff took his shot, but it seemed like he held JR responsible for dropping the ball in the first place.

Vince *does* always seem to appreciate guys with a backbone more though. I think that's a common quality in most elite executives or just people in positions of authority in general. You teach people how they're going to treat you. If everything is Yes, sir and No, sir - then you're easy and that's mostly no fun. But when you're challenging and demanding (about the right things, raising the right concerns) then it's more rewarding to engage those types of people. It also breeds competition and critical thinking within the workplace.

So while I don't believe Vince loved losing that money, I do find it easy to understand how he'd appreciate the slick maneuvering that got Jeff to the pay window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sek69 said:

In a weird way I could see that being true, as Vince does have a history of respecting people who stand up for themselves and/or tell him to F off. Like I'm sure he was pissed he had to pay the guy, but I'd 100% believe he'd also go "Goddamn! I like the balls on that guy!" afterwards. 

He didn't seem too cool with Warrior doing it. I just think Vince went by the old promoter saying "just get the match in the ring"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree 100 percent with SS up there.
I really like the podcast. They didn't do a test show, and just went for it, so the first ep felt like a shoot interview done by someone who isn't a child predator. I didn't know that JJ has never done one. I honestly just assumed he had at some point. After listening to the second one, it's a show that's evolving and so far I figure it's about 80 percent the truth, 15 percent " how ya look at it", and 5 percent bullshit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

This is purely speculation, but I always got the sense Vince held JR accountable for that whole ordeal.

Even reading it in Under The Black Hat, everything came across that way. Yes. Vince was pissed that Jeff took his shot, but it seemed like he held JR responsible for dropping the ball in the first place.

Vince *does* always seem to appreciate guys with a backbone more though. I think that's a common quality in most elite executives or just people in positions of authority in general. You teach people how they're going to treat you. If everything is Yes, sir and No, sir - then you're easy and that's mostly no fun. But when you're challenging and demanding (about the right things, raising the right concerns) then it's more rewarding to engage those types of people. It also breeds competition and critical thinking within the workplace.

So while I don't believe Vince loved losing that money, I do find it easy to understand how he'd appreciate the slick maneuvering that got Jeff to the pay window.

Yeah I got the same feeling that Vince blamed JR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I agree 100 percent with SS up there.
I really like the podcast. They didn't do a test show, and just went for it, so the first ep felt like a shoot interview done by someone who isn't a child predator. I didn't know that JJ has never done one. I honestly just assumed he had at some point. After listening to the second one, it's a show that's evolving and so far I figure it's about 80 percent the truth, 15 percent " how ya look at it", and 5 percent bullshit. 

Lol are we ever getting 1983-84 finished by the Titans of Wrestling. I still listen to old shows and it's what got me into that Era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you enjoyed Titans and got into the era. Never say never but...Well, I guess a better cliche would be "you can't go home again" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could've done without some of the cheesy religious stuff, but I get that it's Jeff's personality. Jeff mentioning how Owen died on the same date his wife passed, then Conrad going all whisper somber with the, "It's all connected, man." got a cringe from me.

Also couldn't help but get a kick out of how many times we heard him pronounce SHON Michaels' name. "That was Shon? What was Shon doin there? Why Shon?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong. I don't begrudge anyone for their religious beliefs. Faith is a powerful concept, and it can do incredible things for people. But Conrad playing into it with his Michael Cole somber voice was what put it over the top for me.

It's all connected? What does that even mean? What are you referring to? A higher power decided it would be nifty to take this man's wife on the same date several years later after he lost his close friend? It's just... A bizarre comment, plopped out there in such a phony, melodramatic tone I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weeks episode about WWA was pretty good, although his claim that Borash and Lawler doing commentary over house mics went well was absurd lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×