Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - May 12, 2021

sek69

Excellent match, fantastic finishing stretch, and great finish.

This was still the worst Dynamite of the year, but the first and last matches were excellent, and Dr. Baker is always great. But dear God they need to stop getting so cute with their booking and stop overcomplicating simple shit. This is wrestling. This isn't hard. Who knows, now that Fulham has been unceremoniously relegated in the Premier League, Coach Tony K can focus on his wrestling show again and stop letting Jericho ruin perfectly good, even great segments, with his bullshit creativity 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

At lest there is Miro vs Lance Archer to look forward to. 

Oh yeah that will be a banger. Archer had tweeted earlier that he received a text from someone in AEW that made him happy. Clearly this is what he meant

7 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I thought the good outweighed the bad, and the bad wasn't *that* bad....maybe WWE has just lowered my expectations that much, who knows.

Yeah if I had not quit watching WWE basically 1.5 years back, I wouldn't have cared much about most of this stuff

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

Also it seems like it kind of went under the radar that AEW is going to have a full crowd for Double or Nothing and will be going on the road again in July.

In our state we're going full capacity next month. The minor league team in Reading is advertising "feel NORMAL again!" If that's up north with our democratic governor, Florida doesn't have a prayer.

11 hours ago, MoS said:

Excellent match, fantastic finishing stretch, and great finish.

This was still the worst Dynamite of the year, but the first and last matches were excellent, and Dr. Baker is always great. But dear God they need to stop getting so cute with their booking and stop overcomplicating simple shit. This is wrestling. This isn't hard. Who knows, now that Fulham has been unceremoniously relegated in the Premier League, Coach Tony K can focus on his wrestling show again and stop letting Jericho ruin perfectly good, even great segments, with his bullshit creativity 

Maybe it’s time that TK starts looking to bring an experienced booker to help him out. I don’t know who is out there though. Is Dutch Mantel doing anything? I haven’t been following the indie scene closely lately, anyone out there doing a great job booking wise? 

The constant Good Brothers interference is getting to Gedo level of annoying.  Plus, they suck. They should send them back to Impact. 

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

Also it seems like it kind of went under the radar that AEW is going to have a full crowd for Double or Nothing and will be going on the road again in July.

You could really tell that they’re ramping up the numbers since the crowd sounded pretty unsweetened tonight.

My jaw actually dropped when Cody started his promo; just totally out of left-field and Ogogo has only cut about 2 anti-American promos hasn’t he? Cody wants to do so much old-school shit that he hasn’t got the patience to get there. That, coupled with his complete lack of self-awareness, makes him a heel in my book.

I say it all the time but that main event reinforces that Darby Allin is the man for their future. Make 2022 the year of Darby, I say. Glad to see Miro get a good showing and that match was fucking great. Babyface Inner Circle has lost all appeal and really doesn’t work, outside of a few moments last week so it’s probably best that they fade away. Put the rocket to Santana and Ortiz and give us a good, long series with FTR. Britt Baker’s promo was awesome and it’s probably been the right idea to give her the big win in front of a packed house.

Did I miss it or did they not announce any matches for next week? Is that a first?

And, holy shit at The Bucks retiring SCU and them barely even mentioning or lingering with it. You know, you don’t have to take from WCWs shitty years, TK. That surely should have been the match to headline the California show?! Knowing the Bucks’ convoluted, shitty booking, they’ll probably give SCU one last chance and run it again there.

Didnt think the show was too bad overall but the big moments and decisions were handled in a way that soured the good stuff.

1 hour ago, Stiva said:

Did I miss it or did they not announce any matches for next week? Is that a first?

They announced   Ogogo vs Austin Gunn but i don’t remember the rest. 

Edit: I think that Serena Deeb vs Red Velvet for the NWA title is also scheduled. 

The more and more I read the reactions to last night, the more I agree with @Stiva about strapping the rocket on Darby. Yesterday really feels like one of those times when a losing wrestler actually got more over in defeat than the winning wrestler did in victory. Strong Bret-Davey Wembley vibes here. I know they were thinking of Page as the next top star, but he has lost significant momentum in the last few weeks and Darby has gained a lot of momentum. Maybe it's time to call an audible and put Darby in the spot of dethroning Omega. Strike while the iron is hot. 

It will be interesting to read the quarter hour breakdowns of yesterday's show. The fact that it did well in overall viewers but terribly in 18-49 makes me think (hope?) that a lot of the younger fans tuned out after Cody's tone-deaf "Rah Rah LUV MURRICA" promo. I cannot really imagine that shit appealing to a lot of 18-49 fans, especially after the year we have had. I am but one fan, but I would absolutely cheer Agogo against Cody in the match now if I were in attendance.

I can't imagine anyone in any demo really wanting to also have to hear about political divide, broken system, racism, xenophobia stuff on a wrestling show in 2021. Not that wrestling has ever really avoided such things that were big in the culture discussion at any given time, but all those discussions usually weren't also in every other aspect of culture and entertainment as well. 

If you're a person who thinks "wokeism" is ruining America, do you really want to hear that promo on your wrestling show?

If you're a politically active person who is involved in those discussions in all your other aspects of life, do you really want to hear that promo on your wrestling show?

If you're a person who tries to avoid the discussion from either direction all together, do you really want to hear that promo on your wrestling show?

There's zero way to have that promo on your show in 2021 and not make people mad or tune out regardless of what angle they view life from. It was just dumb from the start. Entirely tone deaf and not thought out from the jump. And all a just a hack way to have Cody have a reason to use the American Dream moniker...something I'm pretty sure he said he'd never do, but he's also doing it in a way that's 100% going to end up with the crowd chanting USA USA USA at the bad brown foreigner. 

It was interesting to hear the crowd want to cheer the guy carrying on the legacy of their beloved Dusty, but being uncomfortable with the rah rah aspect of his promo. I honestly think the worst part of it was it made Cody sound like a clueless corporate suit when his whole gimmick up until then had been the guy telling the corporate suits to fuck off. 

Yeah but this was the kind of tone deafness you'd expect to hear from someone in WWE and he's very much been the "we do things better than WWE guy". since practically every promo he's done since AEW launched has at least one shot (veiled or otherwise) at how they do business.

8 hours ago, Enforcer said:

They announced   Ogogo vs Austin Gunn but i don’t remember the rest. 

Edit: I think that Serena Deeb vs Red Velvet for the NWA title is also scheduled. 

They also announced the Young Bucks vs Varsity Blonds for the AEW World Tag Team Championship

22 hours ago, MoS said:

Who knows, now that Fulham has been unceremoniously relegated in the Premier League, Coach Tony K can focus on his wrestling show again and stop letting Jericho ruin perfectly good, even great segments, with his bullshit creativity 

Relegation and heading into the summer break actually means Tony would be busier in the next couple of months than he's been since January's transfer market closed.  

Loved Miro Vs Darby, really good opponents for each other.  Probably my favourite match Miro has ever had.

The thing that really astounds me about the Cody promo/angle is attempting to pull off the "Fighting for America/Evil Foreigner" angle against a guy from the United Kingdom.

At the very least if it were against a Japanese guy, or a "German" guy or a "Terrorist Country" guy they could get the lowest common demoninator fans to bite on that shit, but seriously, who is sitting around, shaking their fists going "Those damn Brits!"