Pro Wrestling Only

Way Of The Blade: 100 of the Greatest Bloody Matches in Wrestling History

Phil Schneider

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, gordi said:

F'n hell this is a great listen! Both of you are so enthusiastic and joyful discussing the match, reminiscing about tape trading, talking about booking, just bouncing off each other and making each other laugh.

I am not a podcast guy. I prefer reading about stuff to listening to people talk about stuff. But I am really glad I made an exception here, l laughed out loud more than once, enjoyed the hell out of the nostalgic stuff, and feel like I got some genuine insight into a great match and into the personality and wrestling mind of Tony Khan.

If you liked this, I really think all of the pods I have done are as good, and pretty varied. The Eric pod is two old friends just riffing, the Daniel Makabe is a really cool look at how a great wrestler views a great match and the pair of NWA Anarchy pods are an awesome window into a killer under seen period of US wrestling (although for those shows you should watch the matches first as they are both incredible!)

Just finished this book today and I really enjoyed reminiscing about the matches I know and learning more about the context of those matches. Plus I have quite a few matches In excited to see for the first time. Great job Phil!

I am not a big podcast follower but this latest one about the Sheik sounds exciting. I’m planning on catching up on the others. 

I would recommend it highly for everyone who hasn’t gotten it to go get it if you can. This is the type of work I’d love to see more of. 

1 hour ago, BigBadMick said:

My copy arrived yesterday. Got an immediate chuckle while scanning through it and happening upon Tully Blanchard described as possessing the casual cruelty of a Bret Easton Ellis character. 

Couldn't you just see Tully snorting lines of Cocaine and being viciously mean to Demi Moore?

2 hours ago, Outsider said:

Hope Ed Farhat is represented in this book. I love me some juice!

There's a podcast above talking about a Sheik match with a Sheik biographer. Worth a listen.

The writing is great, to the point where at least once I've watched a match and said, "that was tamer than I expected."

Blue Demon Jr vs Dr Wagner Jr

Initial impression at the beginning was that yeah, Demon is not a very proficient wrestler. About a third of the way in that didn’t matter though and this indeed became quite the spectacle. Hell of a bloodbath. Everyone’s cheering Demon though? Must be the legacy of the mask.

The referee. What the heck is he doing?! At times it looks like he’s calling the submission but no, he’s just wagging his fingers at the audience for no reason. I don’t get it.

Thumbs way up on this match.