Way Of The Blade: 100 of the Greatest Bloody Matches in Wrestling History

Phil Schneider

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Al said:

Blue Demon Jr vs Dr Wagner Jr

Initial impression at the beginning was that yeah, Demon is not a very proficient wrestler. About a third of the way in that didn’t matter though and this indeed became quite the spectacle. Hell of a bloodbath. Everyone’s cheering Demon though? Must be the legacy of the mask.

The referee. What the heck is he doing?! At times it looks like he’s calling the submission but no, he’s just wagging his fingers at the audience for no reason. I don’t get it.

Thumbs way up on this match. 

Lucha referees summed up in three sentences.

14 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Are you going backwards ? Or just picking stuff randomly? Love that match so much, those claw hammer shots, my goodness.

Kind of random but in this case I picked the newest match I haven’t seen. I’ve watched Santo/Espanto, Morgan/Dandy, the two Anarchy war games, Kox/Murdoch, Ikeda/Ishikawa, Sheik-Abby/Funks. That doesn’t take into account matches I’ve seen before the book.

Going off weeks old memories so forgive me a bit. The ‘06 version was a nice piece of business. I didn’t find it as violent as i feared because it came off really obvious they were working the weapons spots. It’s difficult to use weapons like meat cleavers because you have to use them in contrived ways that comes off unnaturally. The ending angle was top notch in execution.

The ‘07 version just left me unimpressed honestly. I don’t know what it was, maybe antipathy towards Shatter. It just didn’t click.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:13 AM, Phil Schneider said:

New pod with author and book publisher Jon Snowden about Tetsuo Nakano vs. Masakatsu Funaki from UWF reborn. Fun talk about the history of shootstyle and MMA

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/a62a51ce-e58f-4d1c-986c-2a85feebdfc9

I'm one of those people who haven't been able to get into shoot style wrestling. I dug this match. Masakatsu Funaki is impressive, he looked like an absolute star. This was brutal, probably in a way that's unsustainable if you did it every time out. Certainly Nakano can't get his nose smashed every time out.

Completely with you guys on time of matches. Not everything has to be an epic and I struggle to devote my full attention. I have a wife and seven year old and to carve out time is a chore!

New Pod with the Baltimore Sun's (and PWO's) Childs Walker about Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Kazuo Yamazaki from UWF reborn. We talk about whether this is Fujiwara's masterpiece, how great shootstyle is like great boxing and a little talk about modern wrestling

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/da9b66d0-3cd3-4202-8a03-3951e8a9cfc0

New Pod with Steve Keirn of the Fabulous Ones! Discussing their match against the Moondogs from 6/13/83. Tons of wild stories in this pod, apartment blading with Stan Hansen, shooting on the Road Warriors, almost dying in the ring in Memphis.

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/9227f245-0fe9-48f6-9991-0a094f6c86e4

I came across the Chene/Cholak match the same way your guest did, via ESPN Classic. Really a great match that introduced me to two forgotten workers of that era. I suspect if we had more footage Chene might rate highly, but there would also be a few dozen workers of his caliber alongside him. If I have one preference in my wrestling viewage it’s footage of wrestlers who would push 90-100 today. 

New Pod with fellow DVDVR founder Phil Rippa about Headhunter A vs. Headhunter B from IWA-Japan. The weirdness of that match, the wild career of the Headhunters and fantasy booking Randy Savage into the MCU

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/a4b24a11-afc6-4622-a8c2-01804649c126

Fit in some lucha matches. The junkyard match as well as Santo/Park. My wife's comment, "you don't like action movies but you watch this shit?" She is NOT a fan of blood in wrestling matches. Some weeks ago I watched Santo/Espanto. Santo recovering outside the ring while kids literally run up to him and urge him on. THAT'S a babyface.

The Headhunters match I encountered through ICP's "Stranglemania" video, which I hesitate to say I enjoyed. No way the commentary holds up today. Twenty five years of growth is probably a good thing. 

On 10/28/2021 at 1:33 PM, Phil Schneider said:

New pod with John Pozarowski about Bret Hart and Steve Austin and wrestling wars

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/cfb4d87f-c2b3-4340-8352-8608a2f6eea4

Always enjoyable pod. A clarification on ‘median.’ It’s different from average, it simply measures the midpoint. A median of 62 means half of the crowd is over that age. Whether they are one year over or 30 years over doesn’t change the median.