Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Heck in a Cell 2021

sek69

This was one of those WWE shows that was good (even really good) in ring, but felt totally devoid of all meaning. These men and women are going out there and working their asses off and this company just fails them at every turn creatively. They are so far disconnected from their fanbase, and as a company they couldn't give any less of a shit because they are financially set for the next several years. They even have their employees like Rob the art guy saying nonsense like "internet fans would be upset if Mick Foley coming in as Mankind and complain they ruined Cactus Jack" as if the issue is that it's those darn internet fans that have spoiled the pot. I was around in those days, and the hardcore fans were in fact very mad that Foley was brought in as Mankind. It was seen as a Red Rooster level career ender and a slap in the face to a hardcore legend. It was the sheet writers and proto-internet hardcore fans that got Foley noticed in the first place. WWE wants to move the goal posts so all their failures can be seen as just the cranky internet fans never being happy rather than the same type of shit fans have been mad at since the beginning of time.

All of this talk about whether McIntyre should or shouldn't find a way to get another shot at Lashley, and if he does, how he should do it.....

You do realize we are discussing what has probably become the laziest booked company in the history of wrestling, right?

The next PPV is Money in the Bank.

What easier way to get out of a stipulation you don't want to honor than by using an overdone, outplayed crutch of lazy booking!

8 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Also, regarding Charlotte, the clip is *slightly* less bad when you hear what she's saying.

It still fucking sucks and Charlotte seems uninterested at this point.

It looks to me like Charlotte tried to pass it off as mocking Rhea when she realized the first boot was going to whiff, kind of like how people will start jogging to try to cover up the fact that they tripped over something. Then again, she's not exactly known for thinking on her feet when things don't go according to plan. So who knows.

As for Drew, Cornette thinking he could get away with not honoring stipulations that involved babyfaces getting screwed is one of the things that killed SMW. There's obviously no chance of that happening today, but that doesn't make it good. The only way a Midnight Rider gimmick would work today is Mr. America style where it's openly played for comedy. Trying to do it with a serious main event babyface would only kill him deader than he already is. If the faces don't want to fall victim to distraction roll-ups, they should stop being losers and make some friends.

Watched most of the PPV (minus Mandy/Nattie and Charlotte/Rhea) and oof, everything has dragged aside from Sami/KO which isn't particularly a matchup I'm a big fan of but this felt much different than their typical finisher spam 2.99 near fall kick out fests. KO's selling of the injured arm was decent and they def. brought more aggressiveness here as KO clearly busted Sami's mouth open maybe with that big elbow he hit. Sami adopting the 80's like WWC security guard ring gear with the conspiracy theory gimmick is the most I've enjoyed him ever.

Sami and KO had one of the more entertaining Mania matches this year IMO.  I don't think I'll ever get sick of them feuding and/or teaming because they rarely wrestle the same match twice

Sami has been on fire in-ring all during the pandemic.  I think the triple threat ladder match with AJ and Jeff Hardy is still my favorite pandemic era WWE match and a lot of that was storytelling with Sami

14 hours ago, MoS said:

Don't disagree with anything in your post, but from what I understand, Rhea is supposed to be a heel? So yeah of course she will need a bunch of smoke and mirrors to win matches and to retain the title. She is supposed to just be hated by fans 

Of course, the fact that she even needs to be a heel, given how hot she was as a face in December 2019, is a marker of how much WWE booking has failed her. 

The booking is a confusing mess, because Charlotte certainly isn't a face herself.

I'm cool with heel vs. heel, if that's what it is, but the direction is far from clear. 

Not sure why Rhea isn't just a face, as that seemed to be working well enough for her before. 

50 minutes ago, cm funk said:

I think the triple threat ladder match with AJ and Jeff Hardy is still my favorite pandemic era WWE match and a lot of that was storytelling with Sami

Come to think of it, it might be mine too.

Certainly the best ladder match in years.

All I ended up seeing was Charlotte vs Rhea and lol'd that Charlotte did multiple Andrade spots in a row and thinking about how many women in recent years have done tribute spots of their significant others or even guys they've hooked up with, and yet you never ever see any of the men doing that.

3 hours ago, cm funk said:

Sami has been on fire in-ring all during the pandemic.  I think the triple threat ladder match with AJ and Jeff Hardy is still my favorite pandemic era WWE match and a lot of that was storytelling with Sami

The Bryan IC title match from last years Mania is my favorite pandemic era Sami match. He was great in it. Loved the bit with him stalling and trying to avoid Bryan and then him telling Bryan to please not hit him and then Bryan pounced on him with punches and he starts yelling in pain.

That's a pretty big bump when you're a guy the size of Drew, so I don't blame him for not wanting to kill himself on a show with no fans. I mean, they shouldn't be wanting to kill themselves on shows with fans either, but you have to start somewhere. The shot of the hand under the ring, on the other hand, is an inexcusable production gaffe we'd never hear the end of if it had happened in AEW.