Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - July 7th, 2021 - On The Road Again

Flyin' Brian

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The main was good before all the interference crap. I am really so over the fucking Good Brothers. 

Excellent overall episode though. The matches by themselves were not blowaway, but the promos and segments were excellent, especially the main ones which needed to hit home.

I wonder who challenges Omega for the title at Fight for the Fallen. They have to be saving Hangman for All Out, they cannot possibly have him challenge at Fight for the Fallen

Also loved that Dan Lambert was basically every old timey wrestler who thinks the business went to shit the moment they were no longer relevant. His promo was a Jim Cornette rant without the fear of him veering into something potentially racist or sexist. 

44 minutes ago, MoS said:

The main was good before all the interference crap. I am really so over the fucking Good Brothers. 

Excellent overall episode though. The matches by themselves were not blowaway, but the promos and segments were excellent, especially the main ones which needed to hit home.

I wonder who challenges Omega for the title at Fight for the Fallen. They have to be saving Hangman for All Out, they cannot possibly have him challenge at Fight for the Fallen

The new rankings go 1. Hangman, 2. Orange, 3. Jungle Jack 4. Darby 5. Matt Something…

They started to build to an OC/Kenny 1-on-1 but seemingly gave up abruptly to do the Soylent Orange vs the Blade & Bunny.  Trent? won’t be around to watch his back, unfortunately with the Elite making everything an orgy…of interference lately.

So, Tommy End seems to be a very lucky guy. According to PWInsider, WWE forgot to modify his contract when they bumped him up so he was still on a 30 day no-compete clause. SRS posted a picture, as well, seemingly alluding to 4 wrestlers moving from WWE to AEW. We have Andrade and now End. Who's next? Breeze?

Other than Blood and Guts, I haven't watched any AEW since Tony Khan wouldn't take any responsibility for the botched explosion a few months back, because it seemed too carny for the company that tries to present themselves as being distinctly anti-carny. But if Dan Lambert becomes a regular, I'll come back and watch every week. I can only assume that if this is more than a one-time thing, the idea is to do whatever they would have done if they had ever brought in Cornette. It won't be as good as Cornette would just because I don't think Lambert genuinely hates AEW so his promos won't be quite as biting. But it's close enough.

FWIW, Tony Khan did talk about the explosion in more detail a few days back. He did not exactly take responsibility though; he basically said his mistake was asking non-wrestling people to do the explosion, and that he is going to do it again when the time comes, and this time he won't repeat that mistake. It was funny cuz his answer was almost from a corporate interview: "My mistake was that I was *too* cautious." It's wall street carny 

6 hours ago, Rah said:

So, Tommy End seems to be a very lucky guy. According to PWInsider, WWE forgot to modify his contract when they bumped him up so he was still on a 30 day no-compete clause. SRS posted a picture, as well, seemingly alluding to 4 wrestlers moving from WWE to AEW. We have Andrade and now End. Who's next? Breeze?

I think SRS has been lightly pushing that the former Buddy Murphy would be a good fit “anywhere”.  Sapp doesn’t come off as someone who just does this to hear his own voice.  Whether Buddy’s name is mentioned 

I'm a bit surprised to see people so high on Lambert. His delivery was great, but the content was terrible. I don't think there's ever a good reason to bring a guy on your show to talk about how much your product sucks, especially when he's an obvious stand-in for your most vocal critic. It only makes you look thin-skinned and insecure.

5 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'm a bit surprised to see people so high on Lambert. His delivery was great, but the content was terrible. I don't think there's ever a good reason to bring a guy on your show to talk about how much your product sucks, especially when he's an obvious stand-in for your most vocal critic. It only makes you look thin-skinned and insecure.

A big part of ECW's following was based on saying WCW sucks in the first half (with the Hollywood Austin and Cactus Jack's "Hire Me Eric" shirt) and the second half based on saying WWF sucks (RVD's Mr. Monday Night gimmick, Jerry Lawler showing up and cutting the same type of promo Dan Lambert did).  The WWF stuff especially was based around the pro WWF contingent cutting promos saying ECW was trash.

5 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I'm really hoping the crowd loudly chanting TOMMY, TOMMY puts an end to the Malachi Black name before it gets off the ground.

On top of everything else, the name is bad because it sounds like some TNA shit where they'd try to use something based off of a guy's gimmick WWE name. Be Tommy End or something that doesn't reference his WWE name at all. 

I did like he's still selling the eye though. Very kayfabulous of him. 

2 hours ago, Coffey said:

After her unionization backpeddling & Tommy's post firing "Vince really loves me" podcast bullshit, I don't give a fuck about either of them anymore tbh.

The fact she's back in the company and he's in AEW only further underlines that Vince prefers when people stand up to him as opposed to butt kissers. Reminds me of how Bobby Heenan was so hurt that he never said anything bad about them when he was in WCW (or after) and he was like the only one never asked to come back. 

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

But....Brain did come back for multiple appearances after WCW was bought. Including multiple WM appearances. I'm sure he would have made more appearances if his health had been better. 

Yeah he meant being offered a full time job in that time between WCW closing and when his health started going downhill. I remember him commenting in an interview how Vince would seemingly race to hire people who talked shit about him but a guy like him that never said anything bad never got the call. 

Yeah Heenan apparently pitched quite hard to be brought back, but they chose to only bring him for sporadic appearances. It's why IIRC by the time he inducted Bock in the HoF, he didn't even put much effort into his speech, even though he had completely stolen the show when he was inducted in 2004

I can't think of too many examples of that beyond Hogan, Piper, and Bret. I'm sure there are others, but I think we can agree those are pretty unique situations and talents. I also do not at all see how Bobby Heenan fits into Ruthless Aggression era WWE other than some lol cameos or doing Confidential with Mean Gene.

21 hours ago, sek69 said:

A big part of ECW's following was based on saying WCW sucks in the first half (with the Hollywood Austin and Cactus Jack's "Hire Me Eric" shirt) and the second half based on saying WWF sucks (RVD's Mr. Monday Night gimmick, Jerry Lawler showing up and cutting the same type of promo Dan Lambert did).  The WWF stuff especially was based around the pro WWF contingent cutting promos saying ECW was trash.

Setting aside the question of whether ECW should be considered a model worthy of emulation, RVD and Lawler were actual wrestlers and their promos led to actual wrestling matches. The Lambert segment isn't going to lead to anything unless they're planning on using him as a heel manager, which seems highly unlikely. It was just an attempt to take potshots at critics. They might as well brought in a Cornette impersonator to cut that promo.

19 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Setting aside the question of whether ECW should be considered a model worthy of emulation, RVD and Lawler were actual wrestlers and their promos led to actual wrestling matches. The Lambert segment isn't going to lead to anything unless they're planning on using him as a heel manager, which seems highly unlikely. It was just an attempt to take potshots at critics. They might as well brought in a Cornette impersonator to cut that promo.

Speaking of Corny....

This is the guy that jumped the rail during the Jericho-MJF segment. Setting aside the fact that the biggest smarks are the marks who think getting dragged on their ass out of the building on live TV is Good Actually, the dude is also a hardcore Russo fan. Corny will be disappointed at that, but his grift was always going to ultimately end up with him getting lumped with Russo by the new additions to his beloved cult of Cornette