Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 07/12 - 07/18 FOOTBALL IS COMING ROME

KawadaSmile

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've gone to the well with Goldberg too many times already. 

People might not remember but he lost clean to Drew McIntyre at the Rumble in like 5 minutes.

Before that he lost clean in like 3 minutes to Braun friggin Strowman at the PC Mania

And IIRC his appearance prior to that was the debacle in Saudi Arabia with Taker

After this sterling track record why wouldn't anyone want to see him and Lashley?  The stuff with Brock worked because he'd been gone so long and the bomb throwing short matches were a welcome attraction.  Whatever he still had they've already juiced it, and he's 4 years older now....

Something I find interesting is that in AEW, two of the biggest stars - at least two of the people that seem to be moving the ratings anyway - are Britt Baker & Darby Allin. I don't think it's a coincidence that they're both fresh & not overexposed.

In WWE, even when an NXT talent gets called-up to RAW or Smackdown, more often than not we've already seen them on TV for years. 

WWE has so much programming & so many hours to fill, that no one ever has any sort of mystique or aura about them anymore. I think it's part of the appeal of Omos, people didn't really know what to expect. 

I think NXT on TV kind of hurts WWE more than it helps them. There's no real way for any contracted talent to get in reps & get better without already feeling like they're old hat when they get put on a RAW or Smackdown. That's even before you get to the booking. Like, yeah, sometimes they show up with some fan supports due to being known from NXT, like an Asuka or even a Sami Zayn or Kevin Owens (not to speak of their pre-NXT work of course). There's also of course the whole "brand" being the draw talking point & Vince McMahon not wanting to get "burned" again like he did when The Rock left but I feel that topic has kind of been beaten to death.

Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy when you don't make new stars, constantly rely on old stars & then the old stars aren't able to keep showing up & feeling special. Edge Royal Rumble surprise return? Awesome. A year later still being a main event guy? Not so much. Goldberg's comeback & beating Brock Lesnar in like two minutes? Awesome. Still bringing back Goldberg every few months to do it over & over? Not so much. 

Even Bobby Lashley & Drew McIntyre don't feel fresh. They feel super overexposed & it's hard to shake off the preconceived notions toward them both for me. Although I will say that MVP & the Hurt Locker have been pretty damn good. So had the Head of the Table Tribal Chief Roman Reigns. So not everything WWE is doing is bad but when you like 10 minutes out of a two or three hour program, that's an issue.

Smackdown was back over 2 million viewers, so it looks like in fact people like wrestling more when there's fans. 

I actually thought the show was pretty good. Nothing earth shattering of course, but a perfectly fine TV show. Part of me can't believe they are still going to try to do the fake Thunderdome reactions on shows with fans, but then the other part of me is like "well of course they are,  being the weird control freaks they are". Funny thing is it's not like the crowd was dead, they were reacting the whole time so it's not like they needed to add sweetening to liven things up. 

I'm actually excited for MITB so I decided to go back and look at some of the past MITB shows on Peacock

First one, 2010, not sure I've seen this one b4 and the lineup for the opening SD MITB is kind of wild.  Half the field is in AEW (Cody, Christian, Matt Hardy, Big Show), Kofi (with his awesome SOS theme), Drew (looks super young here) and Dolph are all still very active.....and then there's Mayor Jacobs :D

The women's MITB actually might be the match I'm most looking forward to, both from the potential trainwreck appeal and for the fact that it's a rare case of a WWE match where the winner isn't patently obvious going in. 

Putting the Mysterios/Usos match on the pre show makes no sense from a storyline perspective. It's been part of the main event angle on Smackdown, and it doesn't even make the main show? Unless this is some sort of weird "punishment" for Jimmy's DUI,  it makes no sense.