Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - July 28, 2021 - Fight for the Fallen

MoS

Omega is an incredible athlete and also an MMA fighter with a pretty okay record. He is a dweeb but no one was stuffing him in any locker. This honestly feels like confirmation bias because dribbling is a specific skillset that requires a lot of practice, and comparing this to a heavily edited and produced Mr. Perfect vignette seems to be setting him up to fail 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, MoS said:

Omega is an incredible athlete and also an MMA fighter with a pretty okay record. He is a dweeb but no one was stuffing him in any locker. 

Because he didn't go to my school. :lol: That anime nerd would have been tormented relentlessly by the rednecks. Living in Indiana our high school dynamic was a lot different from the movies. The country boys that worked on cars all day were the kids that didn't get fucked with. Them corn detasseling hamhocks. And being an MMA fighter with a pretty OK record doesn't mean anything if we're in the way back machine talking about high school. 

I don't love AEW Omega but I'm not going to pretend the shit he did in NJPW didn't happen. I'm not writing that dude off. I hate his current character but him in a main event is still going to be money. Can't deny his talent. 

And Chris Jericho, I'm not a fan of old bloated Jericho hamming it up but, again, credit for that shit he did with Gage because he did a lot more than he had to take, for sure. But I do think it's time to move on from Jericho at the top end of the card. He helped AEW get started but with potentially Bryan & Punk coming in, Miro tearing it up, Hangman needing his day in the sun & the dynamic of Omega, this Pinnacle/Inner Circle stuff has ran its course. I actually think it has hurt MJF more than helped him. He feels like he's really cooled off recently & he felt can't miss a few months ago, like he was going to be one of the very top break out stars of AEW. 

Andrade has been a miss so far. Vickie & Jake the Snake aren't really needed/doing anything. Christian has been basically invisible. There's way too many people & it feels like they don't have time or room for them. Maybe another show changes that dynamic & maybe not. I guess we'll find out.

So NJPW announced the Lance Archer/Tanahashi US title match will take place at their Resurgence show on 8/14, so Tana is in fact coming to the US. With all the effort it takes to go back and forth these days, it would make sense for him to make an appearance just for "he went through everything  to travel here so why not" reasons.

Also I agree that after they blow off this MJF angle, it's probably time for Jericho to work his way down the card. He did the work to  put AEW on the map as the veteran name/presence/recognizable name to give the young guys something to work with, but now especially with all the rumored/assumed talent coming in there's really not going to be any place for him very soon. Maybe he can go do a run in NJPW since lord knows they need someone new in the mix over there and he did good business the last time he was there. 

11 hours ago, MoS said:

Does Bryan-Omega or Punk-Omega need the world title? In fact, if there is no world title on the line, it means that Omega can actually lose and Bryan and Punk don't lose their first major match back. Booking them just to pop one big gate or for one major show instead of trusting their process and letting the big stars fit in and enhance their product doesn't seem far-sighted imo. It is, dare I say, what WCW used to do

Those matches don't need the title, but the title needs them. Omega against Punk or Bryan will completely overshadow any Page title defense unless it's against a big-name outsider like Tanahashi. It's never a good idea for the world champion to look like a secondary player. There's a reason All Japan and NOAH almost always had guys lose their first match back after an injury layoff. It makes sense that they would need to work off the ring rust before they can hang with the top guys, and it sets the table for them to get their revenge once they're back in ring shape. If Omega defends against Punk and Bryan, it'll be an even bigger rub when Page knocks him off. And they can get their wins back after Omega drops the belt.

I’m amazed they went full Gage on national TV and even more amazed that a lot of the gruesome shit really got over. Not too keen on Page being beat since nobody else on the roster gets that reaction and the story is there but I guess the Danielson match is happening since it seems like Punk is going with Darby. Unless they’ve beat Page to go with Omega/Christian which, I cannot imagine even if they were hinting it 

9 hours ago, sek69 said:

So NJPW announced the Lance Archer/Tanahashi US title match will take place at their Resurgence show on 8/14, so Tana is in fact coming to the US. With all the effort it takes to go back and forth these days, it would make sense for him to make an appearance just for "he went through everything  to travel here so why not" reasons.

Also I agree that after they blow off this MJF angle, it's probably time for Jericho to work his way down the card. He did the work to  put AEW on the map as the veteran name/presence/recognizable name to give the young guys something to work with, but now especially with all the rumored/assumed talent coming in there's really not going to be any place for him very soon. Maybe he can go do a run in NJPW since lord knows they need someone new in the mix over there and he did good business the last time he was there. 

Jericho needed a break IMO before all big influx of talent, and I say that as one of the bigger Jerichoholics on this board

Meltzer thought the Gage match was super risky due to the possibility of losing a mainstream sponsor like State Farm.  Says even though they cleared it with TNT, that AEW has enemies who could use this to go after them and their sponsors.  Can't say I disagree tbh.  I haven't watched it yet, but it does sound like a lot of ultraviolence for television where presumably some kids are watching

Dave also thinks Tanahashi will be working Mox at the AEW PPV

On one hand I get it since AEW is still at the stage where they can't risk losing any money streams (pretty sure they still get an ad split unless that changed in their new deal), but on the other hand the company that clearly wants to be seen as the spiritual successor to JCP and all the wild bloody brawls that took place there can't get too wrapped up in "won't someone think of the children" thinking. That only leads to sanitized WWE style PG rasslin; and the whole point of AEW existing was to provide an alternative to that.

I think they could probably dial it back for a bit considering you had a Texas Death Match and then this back to back. It certainly worked as a one-off spectacle though. Saying that, I can't imagine Cody not wanting to bleed next week considering he'll probably be in white tights.

@MoS my point is its a bad look. Why have your 3 top heels do something on live TV that they cannot do? It makes them look like nerds, like they have no hand eye coordination or athletic skills. Don't open up your wrestling show by exposing what your top 3 guys can't do- in this case, catch throw and dribble a ball better than a 9 year old girl. 

I thought it was really stupid and dorky and I hate Omega's "genius" character work where he pretends he can't cut promos and is really stupid who needs Callis to hold his hand so you won't get any argument from me. He does it every week despite no one thinking it's funny or clever apart from Dave Meltzer. 

21 hours ago, joeg said:

The Space Jam tie in had the exact opposite affect. I watched The Young Bucks and Omega trying to dribble a basketball and came away with the conclusion that they probably got stuffed in a locker more than once. 

I just wish that that great entrance wasn't wasted on dweebs. Dribbling the ball is literally the FIRST thing you learn ffs.

I mean, Space Jam is already a nice nostalgia button which people like and "Get Ready For This" is a BANGER. It was close to being a 10/10 entrance.

5 hours ago, joeg said:

@MoS my point is its a bad look. Why have your 3 top heels do something on live TV that they cannot do? It makes them look like nerds, like they have no hand eye coordination or athletic skills. Don't open up your wrestling show by exposing what your top 3 guys can't do- in this case, catch throw and dribble a ball better than a 9 year old girl. 

Um, Nick Jackson is by all accounts an excellent basketball player. It's heat.

It's my biggest issue with The Elite though. They often act like they are worse or dorkier or lamer than they are. They try to handwave it by claiming it's heat and they are just working, but heat as a result of your top guys pretending to be lame and stupid is just bad heat imo. Why would I really invest myself when the top guys clearly don't take it seriously and act like they suck. That shit is fine for midcard heels but not your tippy top guys imo. 

It's even more frustrating because it's clearly not anything that requires any major fixing or adjusting; it's pretty easy to not act like dorks on camera. But they keep doing it. It's just not suited for the biggest storyline going on in the promotion at a time when the promotion is the hottest it's been in its young life. Really hope Omega tones down the silliness when he faces Bryan. Danielson will need something really serious to distinguish his AEW character and run from WWE Superstar Daniel Bryan

10 minutes ago, MoS said:

Bryan. Danielson will need something really serious to distinguish his AEW character and run from WWE Superstar Daniel Bryan

I actually would laugh if he came in as W. Danielson Bryan, Serious Pro Wrestler. 

I just started watching the show

Dark Order entrance was epic

but the reason I wanted to post b4 I finish because of all the complaints I saw b4 watching this one stuck out to me......why are people making a big deal out of the Bucks and Omega with the basketballs?  seriously? 

I played hoops my entire life, there was nothing that stuck out as "lack of hand eye coordination or athletic skills" wtf.  The thing I noticed the most was that the Bucks had decent handles considering the ridiculous situation, on a stage on tv with a crowd and lights and music and pyro and shit, and none of them noticeably looked down at the ball or lost control.  That alone was kinda impressive.  In fact, I think it was Nick was going behind the back with the ball in his hands, couldn't go all the way due to having the belt around his waist, caught it and brought it back nicely without losing control

Also, as others have noted, they are heels, it's fucking heat.  of all the fucking things to complain about.....f'n a....

carry on

God, I don't know why this of all things is bugging me so much but fuck it.....

I did a bit of instructional youth coaching in my 20's.  Almost all 9 year olds suck at dribbling, period.  Why single out girls?  What a lame diss

Also, Space Jam 2 is getting savaged......everyone hates it, LBJ is a heel compared to MJ......do you not understand why this is heel heat?  It's not a babyface movie to hoops fans......

ok, now I'm really /fin 

Wasn't a fan of Jericho and Gage at all.  I could say more but it is what it is.  I guess it works as a one off, but I don't need to see that bullshit on their show again

I'm not even a hater of Nick Gage, but he belongs in bingo halls

I remember when I thought Big Japan was kinda neat like almost 20 years ago now with the light tubes and glass and shit.  It was novel to the teenage/young adult me who loved ECW in the 90's.  In this match I was more worried about the ringside crowd than the wrestlers in the match here.  the glass all looked gimmicked as shit, but still......

Also, so much of the crowd was boomers......and also a lot of kids.....not an indy deathmatch crowd

I'm definitely not in Corny territory, but this is definitely some backwoods indy as fuck shit that they shouldn't be doing at TV tapings IMO

The last fucking thing I want to see is AEW go the way of ECW or early UFC and piss people off with the blood and violence

The movie Hobo With A Shotgun really speaks to me at times like these

Funny you mention Hobo With a Shotgun, because that movie strikes the tone that AEW wishes it had (violent and crazy and wacky but with heart), though maybe that's what you were going for.

I watched Jericho/Gage, and...it was a thing. I hate the trend of deathmatches or plunder-filled brawls being nothing but obvious set-ups of spots and then the expected payoff. Loved the finish and felt it was the right way to go, even though I really like Gage (and particularly his work in Beyond), but the match itself is why I've always disliked the BJW-flavored stuff and still pop for classic ECW (or CZW when Sami and Havoc were involved).

7 hours ago, Rah said:

Is "heel grossly over-valuing their skills" really that bad a gimmick? If they can back it up in the ring and that cockiness seeps into other aspects, I'm not sure that makes them geeks.

The issue isn't that they over-value their skills, it is that they deliberately play down their skills, and act like dorks even when they are not. It's the opposite of cockiness, I don't even know what to call it. Stuff like Omega on live TV pretending to stumble over his words because he is acting like he is a bad promo

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

So Domino's is considering pulling advertising from Dynamite thanks to the Gage match. Pissing off sponsors with deathmatch garbage is an inexcusable own goal when the company is otherwise firing on all cylinders. But hey, there's always that coveted PBR sponsorship.

The Dominos statement was a standard PR blow-off response given to journalists asking prying questions, particularly when they are afraid of being misquoted. They didn't even say they disapproved of it. They said they will assess their advertising at the TV-14 show, which is just using words to say nothing. Dominos is also not an official AEW sponsor and the entire article seemed fishy and written in bad faith, so I wouldn't be surprised if the response was a result of a very loaded and leading (misleading?) question. 

They should definitely not be doing deathmatches every week but this is the only time they have done so, and as long as they remain once in a blue moon to pop ratings. I think they will be fine. Meltzer is greatly worried about losing sponsors and there is the precedent of WWF losing sponsors in the attitude era, but 1) WWF lost sponsors because Vince decided to take on the PTC and double down and make it a big deal instead of quietly dealing with it because Vince is Vince; and 2) as much as the violence, it was the nudity and the raunchiness, especially on basic broadcast like Smackdown was on then. I honestly think Meltzer is off on some of his assertions on violence and blood too. He has been claiming for months that women stopped watching Dynamite because of the blood even though there is no evidence to support it, mostly because he talked to like 4 women he knows who watch wrestling

As long as one deathmatch leads to one sponsor issuing a standard statement, I think they are fine. They are probably secretly grateful because it's one way of getting publicity, and a starting promotion going against a juggernaut needs all publicity they can get. They just need to be very careful and to not do this stip again for the next 15 months or so though

Yeah. As long as they slow down with it I don't think it's a bad bit of pub.

I'm more worried about what Meltzer said about The Hangman's push. Apparently "plans changed" and he won't be getting the title shot at All Out. Hopefully he's working or being worked, because pivoting away from that story now is the kind of thing can kill off fan investment and good will. Especially if it's to placate the arrivals of Punk/Bryan. That's TNA level bad.

Despite the flaws, Dynamite's been electric for a while now. Not capitalising on Page while he's hot will put a massive damper on it.