Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - July 28, 2021 - Fight for the Fallen

MoS

I feel like Page's story can still be stretched out a bit and reach the proper crescendo, but not too much longer. Anymore big profile losses regardless of circumstances going forward I think will only get a negative reaction and get people losing interest. Full Gear is in early November and I don't think they can push it past that no matter what is going on with Kenny/Punk/Bryan in the meantime.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History is replete with faces who chased too long and ultimately lost some of their appeal and drawing power, going all the way back to Jack Brisco and continuing with Luger, Roman, etc. I don't think Page has reached that level yet, but given all their big upcoming shows are between September and November, I hope they cover all the big dream matches by then and then pull the trigger on Hangman at Full Gear

Definitely a possibility, and it's why I understand why they don't want to do the title switch right now. I'm thinking that the big first Punk/Danielson matches (mostly against Omega I guess) would be over by Full Gear. If I were them, then at some point, the plan also has to be for both Punk and Danielson to put over Hangman

Yeah, no point half assing Hangman's ascent. When he wins, he needs to then be presented as the unquestioned number 1 guy. I think you can stretch it out a bit and have Omega have his dream matches with Danielson and Punk, because the fans do want that. Maybe have Hangman win the strap on a year ending show to go into 2022 with a fresh start, although I guess you may want to do that match on PPV 

Having too much of a good thing is a nice problem to have, but it's still a problem, and when you got three main eventers with momentum, at least one of these guys is gonna have their momentum cut out. That being said, to me it's a no-brainer that Hangman should not be the one sacrificed for two reasons. Firstly, it's their chance to pay off the biggest long-term story they've had, and a big chance to create their own home-grown star (all of their other big names got their popularity in other promotions). Secondly, both Punk and Bryan have shown the ability to stay popular despite losing big matches.

Honestly it's amazing how good of a job they've done with Page considering at the start of AEW he was clearly the least cared about member of The Elite by a large margin and very clearly was not ready for the spot they were trying to plug him into. Two years of a slow burn on him and now people are talking about how crazy it is to pass him up for Bryan and Punk. Britt Baker's turn around is the only thing that compares really, although since she's actually had the title it's been real sketchy. 

There's been a LOT of stuff in AEW that just feels like one off or meaningless or just treading water for weeks/months, so I really hope they stick the landing with Page.

If I understood correctly, it's not that they disavowed Hangman but they feel like with the impending arrivals of Bryan Danielson and CM Punk, it would overshadow Hangman's title win. But from what I heard, everyone is fully behind Hangman; from TK to the EVPs.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think that Hangman and his wife are expecting a child shortly after All Out and he'll probably take a leave of absence so perhaps it's a timing thing, more than anything as well. I would personally prefer for Hangman to have been Omega's challenger at All Out but if it's delayed so that Hangman can fully have his moment, I don't have much of an issue with it.

It's interesting to me to see people bring up dorkiness as a negative quality when in my circles & younger that's a defining trait in a lot of the entertainment that's caught fire as of late.

Honestly i think the idea that "nerd" and "badass" are mutually exclusive qualities is one of the biggest cultural divides between this board and p. much everywhere else i talk about wrestling.  We live in a world where NFL & NBA players are appearing next to a pro Street Fighter player in ads, and one of MMA's biggest draws ever used to be a Pokemon forum moderator.  And that's to say nothing of how much the MCU & Star Wars dominate the box office anymore, of course.

idk, i just feel like a lot of yall ain't the target audience for wres anymore

Stalling Hangman's win annoys me. I understand worrying about Punk and Bryan overshadowing him, but if Punk debuts at Rampage that will at least temper some of the buzz heading in to All Out. There are only so many times you can wait to pull the trigger. It's a testament to AEW's booking and Page that he was able to get super hot again after spinning his wheels a bit earlier this year, but I don't see how you can hold off on this for much longer before the fans get frustrated.

I can just imagine a Christian-Kenny segment getting drowned out by "We want Hangman!" chants.

5 hours ago, strobogo said:

I feel like Page's story can still be stretched out a bit and reach the proper crescendo, but not too much longer. Anymore big profile losses regardless of circumstances going forward I think will only get a negative reaction and get people losing interest. Full Gear is in early November and I don't think they can push it past that no matter what is going on with Kenny/Punk/Bryan in the meantime.

Agreed. Full Gear is the absolute latest they can believably stretch this out to.

Plus this gives them the chance to have Hangman finally accept what the Dark Order was trying to teach him and be able to face his fears. Plus they've been low key building up the Dark Order winning a title to honor their fallen leader, which if done right could be the 1b level pop to Hangman's 1a. 

40 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Plus this gives them the chance to have Hangman finally accept what the Dark Order was trying to teach him and be able to face his fears. Plus they've been low key building up the Dark Order winning a title to honor their fallen leader, which if done right could be the 1b level pop to Hangman's 1a. 

I agree. The first time he failed, he found himself alone until he befriended the Dark Order, who eventually convinced him to go after Omega. This time, even if he has failed, he still can muster the confidence to do it again and the 3rd time being the charm. But yeah, Full Gear should be the latest moment they can do this title change.

Kenny Omega would like you all to know he is actually an excellent athlete, he just pretends to be a dork for..reasons. As I said, you can knock the Elite for a lot of things but not for their athleticism. It will be interesting to see the dynamic in the ring between Omega and Punk, two polarizing figures for entirely different reasons