Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 08/02 - 08/08 Olympic Wrestling is dope

KawadaSmile

10 hours ago, MoS said:

Bryan Alvarez and Lance Storm had an entire segment of their radio show dedicated to whether, no joke, professional wrestling can be in the Olympics, with judges to rate and score different matches from different styles. Apparently people had asked them this?!?! What kind of fan is going about thinking "Boy would I love it if pro wrestling was in the Olympics!!"

What the fuck? 

7 hours ago, MoS said:

Mijain Lopez going for a throw and the Fiend putting on the mandible claw and laughing like a maniac with red lights in the background

Mijain would be fucking amazing in a pro wrestling setting. Dude did the impossible and became a four time Olympic champion. Him slamming fools could be a fun romp.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, I think it would be neat to have some kind of showcase where different nations could show off their style of pro wrestling. Not something a legit sports sense like the Olympics, but like just showing off how it's different but yet still similar in various parts of the world.

23 minutes ago, sek69 said:

To be fair, I think it would be neat to have some kind of showcase where different nations could show off their style of pro wrestling. Not something a legit sports sense like the Olympics, but like just showing off how it's different but yet still similar in various parts of the world.

If gymnastics can be an Olympic sport, why not pro wrestling?

Just to be clear, I am not denigrating gymnastics in any way - it obviously requires extraordinary athleticism, but so does pro wrestling at its best.

Rey Mysterio in his prime, for example, would have been an amazing Olympic-level pro wrestler.

Spoiler

Christian would be an amazing Olympic pro wrestler now. :P 

While I agree it's definitely an "in the bubble" conversation for Bryan and Lance to have, it's honestly not the worst idea in the world.

4 minutes ago, C.S. said:

If gymnastics can be an Olympic sport, why not pro wrestling?

Just to be clear, I am not denigrating gymnastics in any way - it obviously requires extraordinary athleticism, but so does pro wrestling at its best.

Rey Mysterio in his prime, for example, would have been an amazing Olympic-level pro wrestler.

While I agree it's definitely an "in the bubble" conversation for Bryan and Lance to have, it's honestly not the worst idea in the world.

Gymnastics can be judged in a vacuum without a crowd. It has a scoring criteria. How do you do that with pro wrestling? Especially when you have different styles competing, with different philosophies and mythologies and internal logic?

15 hours ago, MoS said:

Poor Drew. I actually am not as big a fan of his as others I know, but he definitely deserves better than this

It's kind of comical how much contempt WWE has for its audience.

EDIT: It seems that this was a production snafu rather than a deliberate attempt at crowd sweetening. Still, "they don't really hate their fans, they're just stunningly incompetent" isn't much of a defense.

As great as she was in wrestling, Ronda was probably the most "gotten to" I've ever seen when she got booed. Which was funny, since I would have thought she'd have that natural heelness about her, but she seemed emotionally unable to accept being booed. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

As great as she was in wrestling, Ronda was probably the most "gotten to" I've ever seen when she got booed. Which was funny, since I would have thought she'd have that natural heelness about her, but she seemed emotionally unable to accept being booed. 

She did the real-life equivalent of locking her account and deleting her tweets after she lost to Holly Holm. Her not handling being booed is sadly unsurprising.

He is seriously amazing. Coming from behind and scoring 4 (5 with unsuccessful challenge) in 10 seconds to win gold at 21 years of age in the biggest match of his life, beating two of the most dominant wrestlers of the last decade, is ridiculously next level impressive. I cannot wait to see what he does in pro wrestling. The old adage about heavyweight power with lightweight speed is a cliche but it totally applies to Steveson. He weighs 275 pounds and moves and wrestles like he is 175. I cannot wait to see what he does in pro wrestling. He is legitimately a once in several lifetimes talent.

My knowledge of freestyle/folk/Greco-Roman wrestling was fairly limited. I only knew people like Aleksandr Karelin because he was featured in pro wrestling games such as Fire Pro Wrestling. 

Then I started paying more attention during Tokyo 2021 and it actually fucking rocks! No wonder it's a style that has become so dominant in MMA and even pro wrestling. You get dudes built like a house of bricks even at the smaller weight classes who are able to lift and control other grown human beings with apparent ease. It's a spectacle!

I'd even think of starting it, but it also seems like it's easy to injure yourself.

From the latest Observer running down the Summerslam card:

A.J. Styles & Omos are the Raw tag champions and were likely slated against Riddle & Randy Orton, but Orton has still not returned to action. Orton had been advertised to return on 8/2 in Chicago and wasn’t there. He was also advertised on the house shows the first weekend back. It has been kept secret why Orton has been out for so long.

That's never a good sign.

3 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

My knowledge of freestyle/folk/Greco-Roman wrestling was fairly limited. I only knew people like Aleksandr Karelin because he was featured in pro wrestling games such as Fire Pro Wrestling. 

Then I started paying more attention during Tokyo 2021 and it actually fucking rocks! No wonder it's a style that has become so dominant in MMA and even pro wrestling. You get dudes built like a house of bricks even at the smaller weight classes who are able to lift and control other grown human beings with apparent ease. It's a spectacle!

I'd even think of starting it, but it also seems like it's easy to injure yourself.

I like freestyle better than Greco-Roman. It feels like top wrestlers in greco-roman are so dominant that it's a matter of technical application of the rules. Or maybe I just need to stop watching heavyweights. I will admit Wilfried Dietrich suplexing Chris Taylor is an all timer.

Greatest Throw Ever - YouTube