Pro Wrestling Only

Triplemania XXIX Thread 8/14/2021

sek69

Despite the Mexico City area getting bumped back in the higher COVID status, the show is going on at the Mexico City Arena (limiting the crowd to 25% capacity in a venue that normally seats about 22k)

Due to ongoing legal issues that would have AAA get clowned like people do Impact if anyone could stay awake long enough to read them all, there is technically no way to watch the show outside of Mexico, but cubsfan will be streaming the show on Twitch if you want to watch it. 

Despite that, the card is actually looking pretty good.

The Lineup:

Kenny Omega vs Andrade for the AAA Mega Championship

Faby Apache vs Deonna Purrazzo  title for title AAA and Impact women's titles

Psycho Clown vs Rey Escorpion mask vs hair 

A trios match with the Marvel characters AAA created for that deal they made

Drago, Mamba, Mr. Iguana, and probably a lot of other people TBA (not as many TBA people as normal due to COVID restrictions ) in the Copa Triplemania rumble)

Fenix/Penta vs Hijo del Vikingo/Laredo Kid vs Taurus/TBA for the AAA tag titles and probably the match everyone will be making GIF from after the show

Team AAA (Pagano, Chessman, and Murder Clown) vs Team Empresa (Sam Adonis, Puma King and DMT Azul)  the heel team is the latest "legally distinct from CMLL" invasion angle and DMT Azul is the former Diamonte Azul under a "legally distinct from my CMLL name" name. 

Yeah this show will probably be really good. Andrade hasn't looked great in AEW but Kenny is GOAT and will make this match great by force if necessary. Psycho vs Rey was already going to be emotional for obvious reasons but more so that Rey Escorpion was one of Porky's last rivals. Has all the makings for a "not a dry eye in the house" moment. Faby vs Deonna will be interesting just to for the political aspect. AAA likes the idea of putting a title on a foreign guy to get them eyeballs outside of Mexico (that's why Kenny's Mega champ), but it never seems to work out the way they think it will. I would expect Deonna to win and exactly zero people watching only Impact will even care about the other belt she has. On the plus side, I'd expect Impact to a least mention AAA on TV, which AEW hilariously never seems to do when Kenny comes out with the belt.  The Marvel match is always fun just to watch Twitter figure out who was playing the characters. 

6 hours ago, sek69 said:

Psycho vs Rey was already going to be emotional for obvious reasons but more so that Rey Escorpion was one of Porky's last rivals. Has all the makings for a "not a dry eye in the house" moment.

How has Pyscho been, skill-wise? I assume he's been running as ace/semi-ace for a while.

I am really pumped for that match as Psycho is great at emotional-investment and "big time" matches. I haven't watched any AAA since his match with Wagner JR (not because of the result) and thought he was great in that spot but not a "great" wrestler, if that makes sense. If he's improved, I see this being a sleeper hit for match of the night.