Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Rampage - 20th August 2021

Stiva

58 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Dynamite is Nitro. Rampage is Thunder. Dark & Dark: Elevation are Worldwide & Main Event.

EDIT: Also, can anyone else not click on Timbo's thread about the Roster Crunch? It won't let me load it.

I think Timbo's thread is unreadable. Given I also had some problems when I decided to add unconventional characters to my title threads, I believe adding "..." to titles also breaks the board in a way.

Bubba @Timbo Slice I'm curious about your thread 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The way I understood it is Elevation is there place to show off unsigned guys and/or give reps to QT and Dustin's students.  Tony was on record saying the point of Dark was to give people a show to work on who couldn't get a spot on Dynamite.Logic would state the one hour show at 10pm on Fridays would have to be the B show, but if AEW has taught us anything anything is possible. 

8 hours ago, DMJ said:

And there are some folks trying to spin it as a disappointment because they assumed CM Punk would somehow do better than RAW, the most established wrestling show in TV history, or SmackDown, which is on network TV.

I haven't been able to find them (the website I checked say they won't post until tomorrow or Wednesday), but I'm curious to know how the show fared on the cable ratings compared to whatever else was on on Friday night on cable. 

Well, I mean....

9 hours ago, sek69 said:

At this point AEW is where WCW was where from a perception standpoint it was the place the wrestlers you like to watch wanted to be, which made them look like they were winning against the WWF before the numbers actually backed it up.  

For the pro-wrestling fans crowd, absolutely.
From the mainstream point of view, it won't happen because there's no catching up to Coca Cola, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

Also, I wonder who is gonna be the first Jeff Jarrett circa 99. By that I mean the first guy who WWE is gonna sign back. You know it's gonna happen eventually, because they are gonna throw a bunch of money at some people. And although I wonder who in the hell would want to go from AEW to WWE even for ridiculous money (nobody in their right mind need ridiculous money), it is gonna happen. Of course this person is either gonna be wasted because of incompetence or gonna be wasted on purpose to prove that WWE is superior (so yeah, the Jeff Jarrett circa 99 analogy doesn't really work, because he really wasn't a big WWF name when he jumped back to WCW and got what we could call a proto-TNA treatment there, hell, Jarrett circa 99 is precisely what will establish the TNA dynamic).

45 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Miro

Don't see him going back anytime soon considering how miserable he was there and his wife got fired too. But he's definitely a guy WWE would want back especially after a hot AEW stint.

42 minutes ago, NotJayTabb said:

Part of me wonders if the correct answer is Cody.

I thought about that too at one point, during the terrible Ogogo feud and the rumors of in-fighting between the EVPs. Not sure if that would cross my mind now honestly.

1 hour ago, NotJayTabb said:

I'd have guessed Zack Ryder, if he'd stayed there for more than a month. Part of me wonders if the correct answer is Cody.

Isn't he making some nice money on a light schedule? Him cosplaying as ECW McMahon while trolling GCW fans is very, very good.

56 minutes ago, El-P said:

Don't see him going back anytime soon considering how miserable he was there and his wife got fired too. But he's definitely a guy WWE would want back especially after a hot AEW stint.

I thought about that too at one point, during the terrible Ogogo feud and the rumors of in-fighting between the EVPs. Not sure if that would cross my mind now honestly.

I think he's one of those dudes who might end up bouncing between promotions, specially if he never becomes the top guy in either of them. Black is also one I could see returning sooner or later.

in-fighting between EVPs? Why tho?

23 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

in-fighting between EVPs? Why tho?

Rumors. Ya know the deal. They even made fun of it in BTE. Then again, Cody hasn't been on BTE for ever now.

Cardona is also having a blast on IMPACT with his girlfriend. It took some time, but he sure seems happy to do different things now.

Black is way sooner to even think about what he may do. He was completely wasted in WWE. He can be a big star in AEW. He's not the type of guy Vince & Co understand or want anymore anyway.

If Bray Wyatt makes it to the company and doesn't set the world on fire, he definitely has the profile to go back to familiar grounds.

As far as Adam Cole goes, I know people on this board can't stand him apparently, I think I've seen exactly ONE match of his a few years back and it was a great one, he sure knows how to get over and has the profile and background (Bullet Club Babay) so he's probably fitting the bill. It would not be even close to Punk or Danielson of course, but yet another sign of the dynamic in place, basically the Ace of NXT for the last few years graduating... to the opposition.

13 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

I assume Matt Hardy is the first guy to go back, so he can finish his career with his brother.

Didn't think about it, but yep, that one makes sense. Unless Tony Khan throws money to have a last Hardy reunion in AEW against the Young Bucks.

6 minutes ago, Al said:

I could see someone like Lance Archer jumping. Someone who's had the best of their AEW run and fits the WWE mold.

And he's progressed a lot since his last WWE stint. Dude would fit right in with Sheamus, McIntyre, Lashley and other BIG MEATY MEN. Yeah, surely a great fit for the Fed.

6 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

I don't know who will be the first "Jeff Jarret" but I have the feeling that MJF is gonna be the first big name that's gonna jump to WWE.

Funny, I have thought about that one for a while now. WWE would kill for a guy like this. But of course the scripted promos would rob him of everything that makes MJF to begin with. Plus he doesn't have the physical frame they are looking for. But I agree this is one guy WWE will probably throw stupid money at and I would not be surprised to see him eventually main event Mania one day (that is, unless WWE keeps on being their old stupid selves).

2 hours ago, Al said:

I'm fine with Adam Cole as a worker, I just don't want to see him doing 25-30 minute main events. 

I could see someone like Lance Archer jumping. Someone who's had the best of their AEW run and fits the WWE mold.

I was thinking that Archer feels like a guy who is coming to the end of his AEW run, especially after he lost the IWGP US Title as quickly as he did. Intrigued to see where this is going with Dan Lambert but at best, Archer feels like he could be a Gatekeeper for guys to beat on the way up. A modern day Meng but with far worse hair.

Matt Hardy has said he wants to finish his career in AEW, and that he wants a final run with Jeff to happen in AEW.

Archer being 44 now, I don't see him having another WWE run. I think he likes the freedom he has and being able to work indys whenever he's home in Texas, plus still having the connection to NJPW. Definitely someone that WWE dropped the ball on though when they did have him, as far as barely attempting to do a thing with him.

I would figure most folks are tuning in to see Punk, so it's not like anyone's going to be disappointed. There's only three matches announced (Orange/Hardy, Black/Arn Jr, and Velvet/Hayter) and those matches will probably be on the short side. So I would expect other things to happen. 

I would have still put in one really great match featuring some great present and future singles stars. I am assuming there will be quite a few first-time viewers this Wednesday, and it would be a good hook for them. Having said that, I think this week will probably have a lot of talking segments and promos, and I think that works too. AEW has quite a few excellent promos and I would think that Punk fans tuning in for the first time would appreciate good mic work.