Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - August 25, 2021

Timbo Slice

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, MoS said:

But it meant that not one match was really strong enough to headline a modern TV episode, especially when the main event ended with a jobber coming out for the big save and your featured star leaving instead of killing him. Brodie would never

Man, that was also pretty fucking bad. Black beats the shit out of that N64 Acclaim WWF CAW looking son Arn has, great. Has to kick Arn in the nuts to kick his ass, ok. Then he hightails? From a dude who got zero fucking reaction? Not good at all.

And I agree, tho. It's happened more than once: people tune in being hyped due to a returning star or a barbed wire exploding match and they are met with wet farts. It's not doom and gloom for them, but I can imagine someone tuning in and feeling disappointed to the point of not bothering. I mean, the times I was enthusiastic to watch Dynamite or any other AEW show, I saw mid to downright bad stuff. My luck, I guess.

25 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

If I remember correctly, the baby is due around All Out Weekend, thus why they veered away temporarily and went with Kenny vs Christian instead.

Yeah, I'm saying he would have known the due date (maybe not the exact date but close enough) when they started heating him back up. Once you know how far along a pregnancy is you can do the math and figure it out. I knew about halfway through when to expect the birth of my kid, and while it's not always spot on, it's close enough to give your boss a heads up to not start booking a major PPV around you. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

What I don't get is clearly the plans were to do Kenny/Hangman, but then Page went out on paternity leave. Did he just not tell Tony until two months prior that he had a baby due? That's not something that sneaks up on you. 

I forget where (maybe PWT?), but I read that building Page and then taking time off was the intended plan and was meant to build heat for an eventual match down the road. Not sure how true that is and I was initially anxious on postponing the match, but he's going to get a massive pop when he returns to challenge Kenny one last time.

22 hours ago, sek69 said:

What I don't get is clearly the plans were to do Kenny/Hangman, but then Page went out on paternity leave. Did he just not tell Tony until two months prior that he had a baby due? That's not something that sneaks up on you. 

I think the stuff they did this summer was just to build to a write-off for Page and to ensure they can pick it right back up when he returns. Just teasing the fans a little more.

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

Also it sure seems this rift in the Dark Order with guys not happy with Evil Uno as the defacto leader sure seems like they are building up to have Bray fill that role. 

It would be good to have cult leader Ray Botunda have an actual cult, but man I don't think they need him for that role

After Meltz reported that Wyatt to AEW seems very likely, clearly someone corrected both him and Alvarez on it, because the next day they came out and said that "people who would know" contacted them and said that the report isn't true and they are not actively going after Wyatt. I am hoping that is true; I would much rather see him in Impact, he will acctually fit there. 

As for the Dark Order breakup tease, I am not a fan of breaking groups before you need to, it seems totally unnecessary and usually leaves you with two unover acts than one over act. I am hoping that this dissension is a sign of Hangman coming back and getting his friends to reunite for him, showing everyone the power of friendship and unity. Hangman's entire arc is contingent on learning how to trust friends and how to accept failure. It makes sense for part of this redemption story to be to reunite a fighting group, after he was responsible for the split of his original group of friends. Then they can tell the story about his friends believing in him despite his previous mistakes, Hangman reuniting them, learning to not dwell too much on past failures, and then FINALLY winning the big one. It has been AEW's biggest angle since the second the promotion started. I hope they don't fuck up the layout by making it too complicated or introducing too many twists cuz you want to do sTOrYTelLiNg. Part of Elite's (and by extension AEW's given the power the ELite have) issues for me personally is they often try to bee too cute with this shit. Stuff that is funny on your YouTube show isn't necessarily a good fit for your television show. 

16 hours ago, MoS said:

I am hoping that is true; I would much rather see him in Impact, he will acctually fit there. 

Wyatt going from WWE Champion to Impact would be a hard fall from grace.

How matter how well you like the Impact product, it's not a major league organization and hasn't been considered one in forever.

Yeah, he'd probably get a blank notebook to do whatever the hell he wants - which I can see being appealing for such a creative free spirit - but with 1/10th of the budget, how well can his vision really be realized?

I know Matt Hardy did a lot with the Broken Universe, but even that incarnation of Impact was a different company than the one that exists now.

24 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Wyatt going from WWE Champion to Impact would be a hard fall from grace.

How matter how well you like the Impact product, it's not a major league organization and hasn't been considered one in forever.

I don't know anyone that even watches Impact or where it even airs or on what day. Is it still on Twitch?

24 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I don't know anyone that even watches Impact or where it even airs or on what day. Is it still on Twitch?

I think they're off Twitch now and on YouTube for a subscription fee, but I could be wrong.

The first Impact I watched in forever was Omega's first appearance. I was decidedly bored and underwhelmed by the majority of the show and never went back.

Omega and Callis were dynamite (no pun intended - well, maybe a little bit), but most of the other wrestlers seemed bush league in comparison. There were a couple of standouts, but I can't remember who. Maybe Moose, Eric Young, and Tenille Dashwood?

Edit: Here are my posts after I watched the episode.

Impact had a real good run before AEW ended up taking half their roster. In better times Wyatt would definitely fit in TNA better than AEW. I still think he does right now, but agreed it's a huge step down for him in a way that it isn't for some of the other guys that have been released and popped up in TNA in the past 2 years.  I do not see him being a fit in AEW under any version of his various gimmicks and characters. His in ring style and character/story/gimmick style just do not mesh with AEW at all.

There were also reports Impact was bring in Braun Strowman, and while I'm sure they very much would like that, he was asking astronomical amounts to indy promoters sniffing around. 

Then again every time Impact signs a relatively known name I have a Joe Swanson style "HOW DO YOU AFFORD THESE THINGS?" moment.

I think AEW should basically use Impact as their NXT, have guys/girls who were jobbed out or misused go there to get the failure stench off them and if it turns out they have something, have them come swing by Dynamite and see if they catch on. 

Impact goes through peaks and valleys a lot. They get hot and then their roster gets raided. 2016 was a huge peak and then WWE took all the hot acts (Broken Hardys, Lashley, Drew, EC3, Mike & Maria, etc.) a slight down turn in 2017 then back up to a peak in 2018 when they got hot with Callihan/Pentagon, LAX/OGz, Tessa, Brian Cage, etc. but then they lost half of those around the same time. Hopefully they'll be coming back up again.

And yeah there was a video with D'Amore doing teases, saying Buddy Murphy was on his way and then teased by saying they were "on the road to Braun for Glory" 

50 minutes ago, Coffey said:

They are still on AXS. It’s on Direct TV and Dish Network. My parents have Direct TV at their house so I use the app to watch it at my house or on my phone if I’m out of town. Tuesday’s at 8. 

On 8/26/2021 at 3:24 PM, sek69 said:

I don't get the hate for QT. I mean I *get* it in the sense that he's shit, but he's just out there to be player coach for the trainees and eventually get knocked out by Tall Paul. It's not like he's being shoved into main events. He's just there to get the caveman looking dude and Bayley's ex some ring time. 

He's not a compelling enough talker or a good enough worker to get as much TV time as he gets. And out of his stable, Solow was just an awful signing that I don't see any upside to whatsoever, Comoroto looks like a million bucks but needs a lot of work still, and who knows if Ogogo will be back after injuring his eye again.

It definitely feels like "he helps with training so he gets to play bad guy on TV" and not the best talent in the best spots.

Seriously why the fuck does that guy get on TV at all? He offers absolutely ZERO on screen or in the ring. If he's a good trainer or agent then whatever, let that be his job, not also an on screen performer being a complete black hole of charisma anytime he's on screen. Big Show vs QT should at most be just Show hitting him with the KO punch and that's it. It can be an angle during an interview.