Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Rampage - August 27 2021

Timbo Slice

Remember when Scorpio went solo, won the not MITB and became the "Face Of The Revolution" only to lose the match at the next show, immediately get put into a tag team and turned heel, didn't have a match on TV for 2 months, suddenly got a match with Sting/Darby, then went back to not having a match on TV for another 2 months? 

Red Velvet has had more TV time this year than Riho, Serena Deeb, and Leyla Hirsch combined. She and Jade Cargill are on TV every week (and before that, you had the inexplicable Big Swole push) while Hikaru Shida, who carried the division on her back for over a year, has been locked in the Dark/Elevation dungeon since losing the title.

9 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Red Velvet has had more TV time this year than Riho, Serena Deeb, and Leyla Hirsch combined. She and Jade Cargill are on TV every week (and before that, you had the inexplicable Big Swole push) while Hikaru Shida, who carried the division on her back for over a year, has been locked in the Dark/Elevation dungeon since losing the title.

Which does circle back into another very common criticism of the product. They have a very good women's roster, some excelent wrestlers there, but the overall bigger picture feels rather underdeveloped.

Well she deleted the tweet, clearly common sense prevailed because blaming the fans is ludicrous.

AEW could present people of colour with more significance and let them represent their community better but they're a start up company and it's going to take time for the Ricky Starks, Will Hobbs, Jade Cargill's to come of age. It's something they should be conscious of but there are bigger fish to fry.

As far as Rampage I'm not sure what was more riveting Jungle Boy-Fenix' interactions or Giannis' reactions. That was another slam-dunk segment and Rampage is 3/3. It's really important they establish Rampage as a must-see show and if they can keep presenting matches like the Jurassic Express-Lucha Brothers it'll go a long way. Yes it was ridiculous and I'm not 100% sure about the practicality of some of their moves but in terms of how modern audiences consume wrestling it hit the spot.

2 hours ago, FMKK said:

Also, Brandi should never tweet again. Most gotten to wrestling personality this side of Roman Reigns.

Imagine how their kid is going to turn out. Cody & Brandi as parents, both in the public eye, growing up in the digital social media world. 

As for black wrestlers in AEW, nobody ready for the top spot at the moment. In 3 years I think we can get a better picture and hopefully see where people have grown to as performers. Unless there's a hidden talent on the indie's, I don't know who you put in that spot. But to call the race card is ignorant, as I think AEW has down the best with the talent available.

Hobbs is no where near ready and if I'm honest, I don't see a main event future for him. But I still give him 3 years and see how he develops, I wouldn't write him off  just yet.

Ricky Starks in the next 9 months I see him getting pushed more up to the top of the card.

Anthony Ogogo, Dante Martin in 3 years could be top players for the company 

Scorpio mid card at the moment and don't see him going that much higher 

Jade Cargill it's about 18 months before she's ready,  but wouldn't surprise me if she gets there much quicker. Should be the top woman just on charisma, may end up as the next rock

The acclaimed/private party could be huge in 2 years

Sonny Kiss, unfortunately has a celling at the moment because of the gimmick

Lee Johnson not ready I would say in 2 years we know more about him 

Red velvet and Big Swole, time will tell

Nyla rose did her job when AEW started, but not who I put the title back on 

But yes they do need to recruit more now, so we have a more diverse main event in the next 3 to 5 years 

7 hours ago, FMKK said:

Do black wrestlers all have to ‘represent their community’ or can they just be wrestlers?

Also, Brandi should never tweet again. Most gotten to wrestling personality this side of Roman Reigns.

Not all but you would like to see some representation like the WWE have New Day, Lashley, MVP, Bianca Belair, Sasha Banks, The Street Profits and Hit Row who get to express themselves even in a tightly controlled environment. It's an area AEW could be better in because a lot of African American talent is being paired up with white talent who handle the majority of the talking. (eg. Dan Lambert for Sky, Mark Sterling for Cargill) I don't necessarily think they're being racist, moreso it's 'jobs for the boys'.

I think the original tweet that Brandi replied to was a little off, a little disingenuous. "Didn't main event a Dynamite" is a very specific gripe. Hadn't Red Velvet just main evented the premiere edition of Rampage? 

Sure AEW (and every company) has work to do regarding inclusion, but they are doing a good job in developing African American talent, which I'm sure will be featured in main event for years to come. Sure, Brandi can be a little extra on social media, but in my opinion the premise of the original tweet was flawed.

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

I think the original tweet that Brandi replied to was a little off, a little disingenuous. "Didn't main event a Dynamite" is a very specific gripe. Hadn't Red Velvet just main evented the premiere edition of Rampage? 

Yeah it seems like the original tweet was a concern troll aiming to get a reaction from Brandi since she's so easily gotten to, and mission accomplished.