Pro Wrestling Only

AEW All Out 2021 - September 5, 2021

gordi

Watched the show with a, I’d hesitate to say casual, but definitely someone with little knowledge of AEW and I thought they knocked it out of the park in that sense. To the point where he completely bit on Adam Cole being the only debut (he had heard that Danielson was coming in). I thought they worked that about as well as they ever could have done and got an amazing moment out of it. He’s fully invested in Dynamite now so well done TK.

Thought the Miro/Kingston didn’t come off quite as effective as planned but I really can’t have any complaints about any other match. Darby looked excellent working around Punk and MJF worked a minor miracle with Jericho. Hope they both move into major programs but fuck me, Danielson is here! I would say they should run Danielson/Omega immediately but Hangman Page’s return takes priority for me. The show had a great catharsis with the Bucks finally losing and Danielson usurping Cole. Though, fair play to Adam Cole for basically invalidating his own return within 2 minutes; luckily he didn’t learn too much from Michaels and Hunter

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omega-Danielson will be amazing and god I hope Omega discards the goofy comedy for the greatest of all time. I would run those two big matches the next two months and then culminate with Hangman beating Omega at the PPV. 

How bad was Fozzy's guitarist tho

4 hours ago, Stiva said:

Though, fair play to Adam Cole for basically invalidating his own return within 2 minutes; luckily he didn’t learn too much from Michaels and Hunter

The Pat McAfee feud made it clear that he has no idea how to play the political game. There's no way in hell Shawn or Hunter would have agreed to get knocked out by a punter and then have an authority figure issue a challenge on their behalf.

Anyway, AEW knocked it out of the park last night. There was nothing I'd consider a MOTYC (then again, I wasn't really equipped to judge match quality since I watched while partaking of a couple too many IPAs), but nothing underdelivered either. As a total package of in-ring and booking, it was easily the show of the year. Cole showing up and joining the Elite only to be immediately upstaged by Danielson felt very Attitude Era in a good way. I really wish they could have gotten the rights to The Final Countdown, though. Ride of the Valkyries still has the stench of WWE to me.

5 hours ago, Stiva said:

Though, fair play to Adam Cole for basically invalidating his own return within 2 minutes; luckily he didn’t learn too much from Michaels and Hunter

Fully believe that Adam Cole was a secret agent sent to undermine NXT by convincing HHH and HBK to let him work 45 minute main events, helping to render NXT unwatchable.

The fact AEW had their biggest ever PPV without Cody is obviously hilarious too.

I also don't know how to rate Allin-Punk from a conventional wrestling match perspective. The first few minutes, the crowd seemed so excited for everything Punk did, and also so scared that something might go wrong, it's very difficult to rate for me.

Already seeing pro-WWE trolls suggesting it’s no BFD that Soho, Cole and Danielson are now in AEW.

No, in a different era, probably not.  But with the company losing talent at an epic rate, some of it due to “budget cut herd thinning” and other issues with the product right now, you can’t say “no biggie” to the defections.

I’m shocked the troll I’m referring to didn’t mention how in the big former WWE standout vs “original AEW/other promotions (so I’m putting Mox in the grouping, as well as Jericho vs MJF)” (ie never been in the F/E ever) guy matches, only Omega went over, and how “that’s probably not a good look when trying to make your brand superior” LOL, *eye roll*.  Though I’d imagine they are out there in various social media platforms.

Wow.  Just...wow.  Katie Vick & HHH killed my love for wrestling for a long time, and Bryan & the Shield brought it back until WWE botched them...but this year has been a revelation for me.  This show hit basically all the right notes booking-wise, nothing was terrible in-ring (even Wight-QT was short and let Paul work like a giant again), and i really might compare it to WMX-7.

To add to what others have said, a few notes:

- i have friends who were there, and if you heard the "WE WANT TESSA" chant on the PPV it was just a few dudes who got shouted the fuck down by the rest lol.  AEW's fanbase cares a lot more about...those kinds of issues, to the point i'm not even sure they'd fully welcome Sasha Banks.

- To those who found the quick eliminations of the joshi wrestlers in the battle royal weird, apparently Riho's was an accident.  Also i expected Jade to rack up eliminations, but not Nyla as well - really dug that since she's looked more like a weak cheating heel as of late.

- That Lucha Bros entrance, on top of being awesome in general, was a great way to establish the tag titles as important.  That matters when you have a bunch of first-time viewers coming from WWE.

- On a related note, some of this stuff absolutely wouldn't have worked without the live crowd IMO.  In particular i'm thinking of Minoru Suzuki - probably half or more of the PPV watchers had never even heard of him, but the folks in Chicago sure did and they fucking ERUPTED.  Between that and him looking great beating down Moxley, he instantly came across as a big deal to those first-timers.  Would also say this applies to Cole & Ruby to a lesser extent.

Exciting times we live in, indeed...honestly, with everybody they've picked up lately, Impact can have Bray.

Cole getting the rub by being outshined by Danielson was the best thing that could have happened for him.  Him and The Bucks will be a great VM Wolfpac

I caught the look on Jungle Boy's face when they were all raising hands there in the ring at the end.  Can't wait for him to be the first big babyface turned to the darkside by The Elite....

LULU F'N PENCIL!

great show.

Finally getting around to watch the show.

Pre-show tag is whatever. They have very over dudes doing very impressive moves - I can completely get the X-7 comparisons: the crowd is into EVERYTHING, likes basically EVERYONE, and the wrestlers are giving them exactly what the crowd wants to see.

If the rest of the show is as easy to watch, certainly bubbas were correct to be hyped. 

Miro vs Eddie was good!

Not a fan of that turnbuckle spot with the ref, I thought a DDT nearfall would work better, but the actual finish was pretty damn good! Kingston promised to give Miro hell, promised to target his neck, and he sure followed through. Miro managed to survive, though.

Maybe they'll do a rematch? It's a match that demands a more decisive finish rather than ref interference.

Satoshi Kojima's song is a banger and it is a reminder of how theme songs in NJPW kick lots of ass, specially in contrast to the songs produced for the big US based promotions

It's nice to see him being his charismatic self in front of a very excited crowd, even if the match is not more than a nice highlight reel, and it's used to set up the stage for MOTHERFUCKING MINORU SUZUKI.

His theme is top 5 all time, and hearing it in 2021 in front of an American audience is just insane. Also dude is in his 50s yet still is fucking scary with how quick he moves. An all-timer, really.

Of all the things that happened last night, seeing a 10,000 people singing along to Suzuki's theme on a US PPV was the most mind blowing. That's the moment the show went from "this is a good show" to "oh fuck, this might be an all timer" to me. 

The best part was even if you didn't know a thing about Suzuki, you saw everything you needed to know: here comes a guy with badass theme music and swag for days who really enjoys murdering people. As the Baron would say, that's all the people need to know.

51 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The best part was even if you didn't know a thing about Suzuki, you saw everything you needed to know: here comes a guy with badass theme music and swag for days who really enjoys murdering people. As the Baron would say, that's all the people need to know.

Which is me, but I immediately got the vibe that this guy is like one of those badass old Japanese grandpas in an action movie. 

24 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Which is me, but I immediately got the vibe that this guy is like one of those badass old Japanese grandpas in an action movie. 

Which is why the segment was so great. All you needed to know is that Murder Grandpa has arrived to fuck shit up. Wrestling doesn't need to be complex.