Pro Wrestling Only

AEW All Out 2021 - September 5, 2021

gordi

2 minutes ago, El-P said:

That's QT Marshaaaaaall for you. And if you enjoy Tay Conti's work, you can thank him for extracting the Performance Center suck out of her in a matter of a few months. ;) 

QT Marshall, thank you. Dunno where I got Smith from. Maybe because I forgot Kevin James' name and "Smith" was in my head.

But he's a good trainer, based on what y'all are talking. Not sure if he can have any role other than "guy who's in breather matches", but if he can contribute on the progression of other wrestlers, he's a net positive.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's just being thrown a bone on PPV because of his good backstage work.

Meltz reported that the placement of this match before the main was in case the card would go too long. It was kinda fun but honestly I though Wight looked like his knees are totally shot. I really don't need to see more of him in the ring, unless he's doing a single chokeslam.

So, you're going into the last match and segments of the show ? Lucky you. I probably rewatched that post-match a dozen times since yesterday...

10 minutes ago, El-P said:

The Inner Circle vs Pinnacle was a blood feud. The final Jericho match vs MJF was not about that blood feud anymore. It was about Jericho proving himself he could beat MJF. 

So after months of a blood feud, Jericho putting his whole career (in AEW) on the line so he could get his hands on MJF, who had been ducking him and refusing a match with him without a bunch of bullshit, is no longer a blood feud? I don't really understand the logic here. The feud didn't deescalate. Jericho put his career on the line. That only happens in blood feuds in American wrestling. I guess because it wasn't some bloody gimmick match or something maybe? 

But Jericho already lost the feud. The feud was over. MJF won after the 5 tasks series. 

Then Jericho asked for one last single match, because he needed to prove to himself that in the end, he could beat MJF, and if he couldn't, he would retire.  Pretty simple stuff. And it worked. I mean, I'm strictly being descriptive here.

Main event is very nice. Could really do without Gallows and Anderson, or even Don Callis later on, but it was effective, with a great kickout, and a great finish to drive things home.

Post-match angle... it was great, besides some bloated things. I guess we'll get Bryan/Christian/Jurassic Express vs The Elite (now with Cole!) rather soon (or did they confirm it?). 

Easy, easy watch. No real rough spots, and the lack of a high-end match  means absolutely NOTHING when the crowd is having the time of their lives with MANY debuts being positioned throughout the card. 

And look, Bryan looks happy, but I hope he slowly ditches some thing from his WWE days which are STILL very fresh. First thing to let go is his theme (fucking horrendous remix). The Yes chants are not going to go away, but I wanna see him bust out those MMA elbows, Cattle Mutilation and whatnot. Just be a mean(er) cunt.

16 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Main event is very nice. Could really do without Gallows and Anderson, or even Don Callis later on, but it was effective, with a great kickout, and a great finish to drive things home.

Just realized that with Gallows & Serena in AEW, now with Punk, they have the Straight Edge Society again. 

Actually when you think about it : CM Punk, Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, Bryan Danielson. Is it the healthiest main event roster ever ? Punk is straight edge, Omega doesn't drink or do drugs either, neither do the Bucks I believe, isn't Danielson vegan ? That's a pretty striking picture of how pro-wrestling has evolved.

Not necessarily here but I also think there is a touch of revisionist history and rose colored glasses when it comes to Jericho the inring performer. He has had bouts of good and very good but I would never say he was a top flight inring guy. Above average to good but he was never a technical marvel. He was always a little sloppy at his best. 

Bryan has been vegetarian for a while and I believe he still is, he tried going full vegan but it proved too difficult to maintain on the road. 

IIRC, he started going vegetarian since he had some kind of digestive disorder growing up and that was the thing that solved it for him. 

7 hours ago, strobogo said:

No. He looked and moved like an old guy and feels like he's from a completely different era all together, even though there are even older guys also there who feel more relevant to the current game. It was weird. Certainly some Bret in WCW vibes where yeah it was Bret and there were a lot of entertaining promos and some good matches, but it wasn't BRET HART.

This is a ridiculous take after one match

9 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Not necessarily here but I also think there is a touch of revisionist history and rose colored glasses when it comes to Jericho the inring performer. He has had bouts of good and very good but I would never say he was a top flight inring guy. Above average to good but he was never a technical marvel. He was always a little sloppy at his best. 

I think there's a ton of revisionist history for both his in ring work and character/promo work. Love his 1998 WCW run, but god damn his first WWE is just unbearably annoying promos as a heel or face. His in ring work is never, ever at the level of the Radicalz or Rey or even RVD or Christian from the same period and beyond. As soon as Jericho turns heel in 2001, dude is instantly so stale and dull and stays that way all the way up to his suit days and feud with HBK and then that also got super stale again the rest of that run, and then god every time he's come back since has been basically just old Dolph Ziggler. 

Considering he was never *EVER* spoke about at the same level as the Radicals or Rey or Christian (RVD on the other hand, come on now), not then and not at any point, where is the "revisionist history" exactly ? Jericho has a tremendous body of work in the WWE during the 00's, working against, yes, a lot of great workers. For years in the last decade though his work has been mostly panned, including against a bunch of great workers, and it's only when he showed up in NJPW that he enjoyed a true renewal of interest and hype. Jericho has never been considered like this great all-time worker and there was always criticism about his in-ring work dating back to his WCW stuff. No idea what people are talking about here.

20 minutes ago, C.S. said:

This is a ridiculous take after one match

I don't believe it is. He said this is something he didn't just decide over night, it's something he's been mulling and working towards for a long time. He came in not even in as good of shape as he did for his UFC fights, and he's come back around the same time that other guys older than him have come back with the same time off or longer and looked to be in way way better shape and performing as good or better than they did the last time they were in the ring.

Christian is as good as ever, in phenomenal  shape, he's older, had more mileage on him to begin with. Edge came back in literally the best shape of his career, and while I don't like those Orton matches, his work this year with Roman and Bryan has been some of the best work he's ever done in the ring, imo. Sting is 62 and while I will grant you he's been protected and in tags, dude was moving better than he was the past few years of his TNA run. It's not JUST how he looked in the ring. Everything about him felt like an entire generation behind and it was weird.

I thought Punk looked better in terms of physical shape than he has in years (I didn't watch his UFC fights so maybe there). Toward the end of his WWE run he looked physically and mentally shot and while he obviously has some work to do to get back in to ring shape he seemed to be in much better physical shape than he's been in a while. 

4 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I always had the impression that Jericho was largely viewed as a peer to guys like Benoit and Guerrero when they were all in their primes. 

Even back during his super fun cruiserweight stint in WCW, there was talk about how the matches were not as good as they were when it was all about Eddie/Dean/Rey. He sure was seen as a bigger star in WWE, because, well, he was for most of his career (except for the short time Eddie was pushed to the top), and that always help in term of general perception, but I can't remember a time where Jericho was revered like Benoit, Eddie, Angle, Rey were as an in-ring worker.