Pro Wrestling Only

AEW All Out 2021 - September 5, 2021

gordi

38 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

The problem with Punk/Darby is that there is no optimal outcome. You either job out the biggest returning star in years in his hometown or you have your hottest homegrown act lose to a WWE guy who hasn't wrestled in seven years. Or you do a fuck finish that pisses everyone off.

You can make it so it looks like Punk is rusty but as a veteran, can still win by dodging going for some all or nothing move & getting out of the way. That way, Punk looks rusty but still "outsmarts" the young guy who goes for an all or nothing & basically beats himself. 

That's what I would do. That way Darby can say he beat himself & Punk can say he got lucky or whatever to have them both save face. Punk doesn't have to hit him with the Go 2 Sleep for a 1-2-3 clean in the middle. Just pin him after he misses some big dive or something.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Frankensteiner said:

So as someone tuning into AEW for the first time (and not watching WWE for about 6 years), I'm afraid modern wrestling may not be for me. There was no pre-text of competition in that pre-show opener. It was all laughs and cute highspots.

To the regular viewers, was that atypical of the style?

There's a mix of styles. I'd say the lower card matches (especially multiman tags) tend to look like what you just saw and the more important matches are worked more straight.

2 minutes ago, Frankensteiner said:

There's definitely a lot of highspots and the Elite are very guilty of being too cute for their own good, but this was specifically a comedy match clearly, featuring a comedy wrestler and Matt Hardy who is good for nothing but comedy spots. Most AEW matches definitely don't go this far. Like I said, I thought this was worked like a fun houseshow spotfest more than a televised match.

6 minutes ago, Frankensteiner said:

Very much so, yes. You're going to see a ton of spots, a lot of dives & not a lot of selling in most of the matches. It's very Indie style. 

The Young Bucks Vs. Lucha Bros. in the cage will be the worst about it most likely.