Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - Sept 8 2021

Timbo Slice

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

TK seems to be very Baba-like in his booking so far where matches have to have a finish with no DQs/countouts/any other bullshit. The only way I can see them doing a non pinfall/submission finish is if they do a time limit draw, which could work because as far as I recall they haven't done one yet. 

The last (and only time limit draw that I can remember) one they did was Cody vs Darby and that was pre-Dynamite (I believe it was at the first Fyter Fest)

1 hour ago, Timbo Slice said:

That’s one thing I’ll say about Tony: Dude ain’t a fan of fuck finishes. And that means when they do happen, it has to mean something. 

They had a little fun when they paired up winless Brandon Cutler and winless Peter Avalon. They had a double DQ and a double count out finish before having a No DQ No Count Out Match. It was actually pretty funny at the time.

Speaking of Baba's booking, he always had guys returning from injury layoffs lose their first match back. The idea was that someone who's been out of action for an extended length of time shouldn't be able to hang with top guys who are in ring shape. It also set them up for revenge once they worked off the rust. Bryan hasn't been injured, but the principle remains the same. He's been sitting at home the past five months, so he shouldn't be able to walk in and beat the world champion in his first attempt.

The first Omega/Danielson match has to be for the title, and Omega has to go over by hook or by crook. AEW is a young company, so they need to use their stars to get their belts over before they can use the belts to make stars. Bryan and Kenny meeting for the first time will by far be the biggest deal on whatever show it takes place on. It'd be a disaster for Hangman to win the title only to be immediately overshadowed by a non-title feud. Omega already lost the Impact title to Christian, and giving Danielson a cup of coffee with the AEW title would only further take the edge off Page's coronation. A DQ or countout finish would absolutely, 100% guaranteed, draw the wrong kind of heat with the AEW fanbase. They might be able to get away with a time-limit draw, but I wouldn't risk it.

The best thing is that Bryan might be the best wrestler of all time looking good in defeat, and that’s the route it’ll most likely take. I said earlier Omega should drop it to Danielson, and then have Page beat Danielson to get confidence to finally beat Omega, but if they really want to put a bow on this thing, Danielson’s smart enough to do that, let Page have his moment, and then he can get back into the title picture easily down the road. 

They literally have years of content ahead of them just with who they’ve added, and both Generico and Steen somewhat imminent. It’s insane. 

I don't think there's ever been anyone who changed my opinion of them more drastically than Page. When I first saw him in ROH and NJPW I could tell he was a young guy with some potential, but never cared for him. The same thing happened when he came to AEW and fought Jericho for the title. Yeah, he was a well-enough known name who could put over Jericho, but he still wasn't all that great.. It's almost like as soon as he lost the Dynamite Diamond Ring match to MJF, it all immediately clicked for him. He not only found a character that was interesting and relatable, but he was starting to put on really good matches. Now he's one of my favorite wrestlers.

9 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

They literally have years of content ahead of them just with who they’ve added, and both Generico and Steen somewhat imminent. It’s insane. 

Really hope the current Sami Zayn is smart enough not to go back to this cornball gimmick full-time. The occasional appearance for a pop, yes, but he has evolved way past this IMO. 

1 minute ago, Boss Rock said:

Zayn strikes me as the guy who has given everything his all but has wanted out for a while.

I have no objection to him jumping to AEW if that is what will make him happy, but El Generico needs to be firmly in the rearview mirror outside of the occasional special appearance and pop it would get. Maybe it can be used sporadically like a lighter version of Finn Balor's "Demon" persona?

Agreed, Generico is well past Sami, but I do want Sami to get past this super annoying scum bag heel guy shtick he's been running with for what feels like 4-5 years now. He was the best babyface in the business for a couple of years and WWE being WWE completely squandered it by making him look like a goober as a face until they had to turn him heel . 

14 hours ago, C.S. said:

Really hope the current Sami Zayn is smart enough not to go back to this cornball gimmick full-time. The occasional appearance for a pop, yes, but he has evolved way past this IMO. 

I'd love for him to go back to El Generico, get a big pop and like 1 year run out of it. Then he gets into a heated feud were he loses the first apuestas match in AEW and has to take off the mask.

He might have.  He was/is doing cupping.  He's done interviews with WO/F4W and he was talking about being really banged up back when he won the title but he's "taking one for the team" so to speak.  In the most recent one before All Out he downplayed it but it sounds like he's the walking wounded Tanahashi or Naito style right now

I know it wasn't the plan originally, but if he's really that banged up it might not be the worst idea to put the belt on Bryan, give him some time off, and build to a rematch b4 getting back on the Page train, and save a Punk match for much further down the line because it doesn't need a title involved at all.  Could totally work out for the best if they play their cards right

This is part of what makes AEW so fun right now, they could go in several different directions and almost all of them can't help but be good

I guess for me, the question becomes how long can you afford to wait to put the title on Hangman if you're AEW before he cools off. I know that Hangman still is adored by the AEW faithful but you can't prolong that too much longer. Could it be a good compromise to have Danielson go after the TNT title instead?