Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 09/20 - 09/26 New Day vs Bloodline YESSIR

KawadaSmile

17 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Surely they did, otherwise they wouldn't have made him an annoying heel 

I'm sure that was the intent of the character, but I doubt they were expecting to see it on Fox News to be used as spank bank fodder. WWE is normally pretty good at avoiding that stuff as seen by them purposefully ignoring the former occupant of the White House despite being BFFs with the boss. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, sek69 said:

I'm sure that was the intent of the character, but I doubt they were expecting to see it on Fox News to be used as spank bank fodder. WWE is normally pretty good at avoiding that stuff as seen by them purposefully ignoring the former occupant of the White House despite being BFFs with the boss. 

Yeah, I think they thought it would just be a silly gimmick, and nothing overly serious especially since all reporting is that HBK who seems to still have power within NXT despite any other changes, is legitimately "woke" thanks to his conversion. 

Like, the actual reality of things is Vince and the whole family are Connecticut Republicans, so deep down, they don't give a shit about this cultural stuff. They just want taxes low and to treat their workers like how they want, and I'm saying this as a social democrat who obviously dislikes their poltiical stances, but I dislike them for their actual positions, not weird stretches of their views. 

15 hours ago, Jesse Ewiak said:

Like, the actual reality of things is Vince and the whole family are Connecticut Republicans, so deep down, they don't give a shit about this cultural stuff. They just want taxes low and to treat their workers like how they want...

I'm not so sure. I hate to turn this into more of a political talk, but part of what is so scary (to me) about Trump is that he radicalized the "common sense" Republicans who initially voted for him as the "Anyone But Her" candidate but then became dyed-in-the-wool acolytes who now view him as not just a great president, but the greatest president ever, a demigod. 

That's my father-in-law. A steady diet of Fox News and Trump sloganeering turned a principled person who leaned conservative but also had a "live and let live" social view into someone who vehemently believes that all Democrats are either pure evil or just ignorant about the fact that the DNC is a cabal of child-raping sex traffickers and inexplicably fears that Joe Biden is going to personally take his guns, give his home to a drug-dealing immigrant family, and require him to self-identify as a trans woman the next time he goes in for a driver's license.

I'm not sure Vince has gone that far, but like the rest of the Republican party, the power of Trump has probably pushed him much farther right than he would have ever been if someone like, say, Jeb Bush or John Kasich, who weren't as eager to spark a full-on cultural civil war for their own gain,  had become President in 2016. 

The Joe Gacy character popped Vince and the only silver lining is that someone - maybe Steph but who knows - probably told him that pushing a character like that would turn away fans and Vince still views money as the number one deciding factor in his promotion. So, once again, his love for capitalism outweighed his love for offensive, borderline sexist/racist/homophobic gimmicks. Some things never change.

But back to the wrestling talk...I tried NXT 2.0. Still doesn't do it for me. Bron Breakker is cool, I guess, but there are still some elements on the show that are really off-putting. I want to like Beth Phoenix because she seems like a great person, but I don't love her commentary. The production style is still very much WWE and not different enough for me. The setting is obviously not nearly as hot as tuning in to an AEW show. If I only have 2-3 hours of wrestling to watch each week, NXT is still going to fall behind Dynamite, Rampage, and whatever old PPVs/shows that I'm watching for my blog or on recommendation. I'm not sure the ratings will ever drop to the point that USA pulls it because its probably cheap filler for USA to air and they want to keep their partnership with WWE obviously, but will this new version of NXT ever catch hold of a wider audience? I doubt it. 

1 minute ago, C.S. said:

Is it just me or has this Becky Lynch heel turn been a creative disaster that has only served to cool both her and Bianca Belair down considerably?

Bianca has stayed hot tho. The idea of Lynch turning up her dickhead persona a notch is not bad, as it is very much what she was like ever since becoming The Man. I mean, she did mock Edge's neck injury AS A BABYFACE, so it wouldn't be hard to boo her. 

They absolutely started that feud in the worst possible way, tho. 

9 minutes ago, Steenalized said:

Not to be a typical griping wrestling fan stereotype, but having not watched any WWE in years it sure stands out how weird their presentation is. Like their particular choice of camera angles and how they transition between segments - AEW came across as much more natural, even if lacking the top level of production values here.

Thing is, I don't think they've been any different in that regard, at least taking the past 20 something years into account.

Not that you are wrong - you are right, it is very weird.