Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - Grand Slam - September 22, 2021

MoS

I am beyond excited for this one. I have been watching the Bryan Danielson ROH title run in preparation for this, and this is someone I am increasingly sure is the greatest of all time (last match watched was Danielson-Styles from RoH is the best possible modern day version of a 70s NWA world title match, absolutely adore it) going against someone who many others consider the greatest of all time. This is going to bang so hard. And it's not like the rest of the card is filler. 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1    Brian Pillman Jr. vs. MJF    
2    Malakai Black vs. Cody Rhodes    
3    Sting and Darby Allin vs. FTR (Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood) (with Tully Blanchard)    
4    Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) (with Rebel) vs. Ruby Soho for the AEW Women's World Championship
5    Kenny Omega (with Don Callis) vs. Bryan Danielson    

Yeah, I've got that "little kid before Christmas" feeling where I just want it to be show time already.

Very much looking forward to this, it's as good a line-up of TV wrestling as I've seen in a long time. Not going to watch it live - there's very few wrestling shows that can convince me to stay up until the early hours on a work night - but I'm at least going to try and go into the show spoiler free tomorrow. Very curious about the FTR/Sting match and how it will be worked, and the women's title and MJF matches should both be good.

The main event feels like it could join the Fiend strap match in being a real gold star in Danielson's GOAT GWE candidacy for me. If he gets a good match out of a wrestler who's in-ring quirks render him near unwatchable to me, then he's going to be hard to budge as the greatest.

It'll be fun watching Bryan trying to restrain himself as an entire stadium does the "Yes!" chant. He won't be joining in because

"I'm not doing it myself because I respect WWE's intellectual property. I don't think anything legally, they haven't threatened anything legally. So I had a great conversation with Kevin Dunn with WWE before I debuted with AEW. I was very upfront with WWE about, 'Okay, I want to let you guys know I'm leaving. This is my debut date’ and all that kind of stuff. They asked me, politely, to respect their intellectual property, even some of the things that couldn't be legally enforced. I'm trying my best to do that.”

I hope the crowd just (good-naturedly) bait him and bait him and bait him, getting louder and louder and louder, trying to get him to join them.

WWE trying to claim the Yes chant as their IP is rich when Bryan came up with it on his own and they went out of their way to acknowledge crowds doing it at major sporting events (they even no-sold Bryan being part of the World Series parade). Danielson is entirely too nice. I'd like to imagine how CM Punk would react to a similar request.

6 hours ago, gordi said:

1    Brian Pillman Jr. vs. MJF    
2    Malakai Black vs. Cody Rhodes    
3    Sting and Darby Allin vs. FTR (Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood) (with Tully Blanchard)    
4    Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) (with Rebel) vs. Ruby Soho for the AEW Women's World Championship
5    Kenny Omega (with Don Callis) vs. Bryan Danielson    

I realized I want to see the heels win all these matches. Although they don't really treat Britt as a heel anymore other than the fact that she is wrestling a face.

He knows fans are gonna do it anyway, I'm sure he's also excited to come up with something new for the AEW fans to chant for him...he also REALLY wants the "you're gonna get your fucking head kicked in" chant back. If there's one crowd that might do it, it's NY :lol:

Regarding tonight's show. It looks like 2 hours of non stop, balls to the wall wrestling and I'm pretty excited about it. Can't really remember the last time that happened to me for a wrestling TV show as a whole and not just particular segments or matches.

Now, I've noticed AEW has a unforgiving pace in terms of presentation, they let almost nothing breathe. Tonight might take the cake with 5 big matches for just 2 hours. Aderall Tony gonna go nuts tonight, lol.

Bryan is just saying in the most Bryan Danielson way possible that he wants to distance his AEW presentation from his WWE presentation. I  want him doing those MMA elbows, the Cattle Mutilation, just nasty shit he didn't use as often on the Fed.

I'm not VERY excited for Dynamite, as most of the matches I'm looking forward to are airing Friday, but the main event is looking really fucking good! Hope Ruby beats Britt tonight, too.

28 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

Big question is whether I take my chances with parking or take the subway.  Still surreal that I'm going to this show tonight.  Hopefully Omega/Dragon isn't too rushed.

Please chant You're Gonna Get Your Fucking Head Kicked In 

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

WWE trying to claim the Yes chant as their IP is rich when Bryan came up with it on his own and they went out of their way to acknowledge crowds doing it at major sporting events (they even no-sold Bryan being part of the World Series parade). Danielson is entirely too nice. I'd like to imagine how CM Punk would react to a similar request.

Bryan didn't even come up with it, he stole it from Diego Sanchez, who was doing it to psych himself up during fight walk ins because he's mental and a weird

Bryan said he was looking for something that would be intensely annoying, and he thought Diego's psycho, completely serious chanting was perfect to use to get annoying heel heat. It's amazing where fate led him and that chant, simply because he is so likeable and so good.

I was aware Bryan got it from Diego Sanchez. Just about everything in pro wrestling is appropriated from another form of sport or entertainment. My main point is about WWE claiming ownership of something they had no hand in creating and tried to stifle when they couldn't co-opt it (trying to transfer the chant to Big Show was some hilarious shit).

So Bryan clarified his comments to Dave

Danielson explained to Meltzer that WWE has never spoken to him about the chants and that his meeting with Kevin Dunn was about intellectual property, but mainly music. He said Dunn never brought up the chants and that there has never been a threat, discussion or even a legal letter regarding anything.

He is fine with fans doing the chants, but doesn't want to encourage them in the same way he did while in WWE as he wants to differentiate the Daniel Bryan character from Bryan Danielson. 

He reiterated that he respects WWE and how he encourage fans to do the change during his entrance and promos as something from WWE.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/bryan-danielson-clarifies-wwes-stance-yes-chants-354171

Bryan is just saying in the most Bryan Danielson way possible that he wants to distance his AEW presentation from his WWE presentation. I  want him doing those MMA elbows, the Cattle Mutilation, just nasty shit he didn't use as often on the Fed.

So pretty much this 

8 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

They also refused to acknowledge him hanging out with the Seahawks during their Super Bowl run in 2013-2014