Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - Grand Slam - September 22, 2021

MoS

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Timbo Slice said:

I get what Matt is saying, but the problem with Kenny has always been environment. The things that perpetually dog him were highlighted in feds that were all about being self aware, and it’s what made what he did in New Japan look worse because of it. He absolutely could park half his act and be better off for it, but I see think it’s something that can easily be removed from the equation when criticism arises. You don’t want to do that with a wrestler, but with Omega it’s almost too easy to remove that from all the other aspects of his overall performance. Especially when in there with someone who forces him to park the bullshit. 

I hear you, but when it comes down to one of the primal things I look for in a wrestler, something that drives almost every other element and is intertwined with them, I can't let it go without completely changing the way I look at wrestling and what I value. That is, admittedly, a me thing if the zeitgeist is against me which it obviously is. But like I said, I've got a wealth of riches before me, so it's only an issue if I want to stay current. And even with AEW, I've got plenty to watch other than him. I sincerely doubt I see another Omega match this year.

18 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

Btw @KawadaSmile do you guys have the channel "Space" in Brasil? I know it's an argentinian channel but we get it here in Chile and they air Dynamite live :D latino commentary is sadly really fucking bad (not that it makes much of a difference to you lol) but you can just use the SAP option and get Excalibur, Tony and J.R.

We do! I saw some ads for Dynamite, even, but never managed to actually see it airing  which is weird. I mean, it is listed but never really airs.

Commentary sucks for other wrestling shows. This monday night not even the SAP option worked, imagine my happiness.

So as mentioned, people are saying the reason Bryan-Omega went first was to eliminate as many commercials as possible, since there usually aren't many in the first 30 minutes. That is an unfortunate thing that really can't be helped, because the show would have flowed better with that being the main. It was a tradeoff between that and presenting the match in as pristine a manner as possible. This was not like All Out, which was a big UFC style card, with every match being massive. This was more like a massive boxing card, with one marquee match and other special attractions. Or maybe just a Conor McGregor UFC card then. In a way, it was cool in a SNME way, seeing the big match first. But a modern 2 hour episode of wrestling TV flows better with the main last, especially given the much higher in-ring standards for wrestling TV today.

2 hours ago, Migs said:

That was probably the greatest night of wrestling I've ever attended. 

It must have been amazing to be part of that crowd. 20,000 hardcore fans of pro wrestling, marking out as one. I was having the time of my life just watching it on my computer. 

Danielson/Omega was a great match, and even better, it was a great TV match. To me, a great tv match must be a very strong match that also leaves the audience engaged wanting something even better for a rematch, and they both did exactly that. They didn't went all out (no pun intended) giving us a MOTY, but, by wrestling this TV match the way they did, they made clear to everyone that they're gonna have that BIG match soon. This is very difficult to attain in modern pro wrestling imo, because of the "giving it all every single match" mentality current generation is.

I hate Omega, but damn did he worked well here. Not counting both hardcore matches with Moxley, this was the best Omega match I've seen since leaving New Japan, by far. Glad he's a heel now, because that way he can be cringy as fuck for a reason, and glad he has Danielson against him to make the crowd actually boo his stuff. It all felt so organic and armonic. I want MORE!

Rest of the show was cool. Punk's promo was great, obviously, and the right choice to follow that hell of an opener. I'm hyped for his match against Hobbs, should be a star-making match. In fact, I missed more promos in this episode, something like Baker trashtalking after retaining the title, or Black making fun of Cody, idk, more mic stuff between matches to help develop the stories and characters. When Cody/Black finished I was like "bro wth happened gimme some clues for where is this story going now". A Black minipromo after the match could have helped to establish that, idk. 

Black/Cody was something. Cody moved horribly, and the overbooking with Arn and the mist and whatever was bullshit, I don't like the fact Black has passed from being able to squash Cody clean to be a chickenshit heel in just two matches. But that's the Cody effect for you all. Black is over as fuck and a very good pro wrestler still, so he carried the whole thing, and the crowd turning on Cody was very satisfying to hear. Hope he makes a turn heel and stops trying to be wrestling Jesus, because I'm tired of him.

Sting/Darby vs FTR was cool, every one of them played their roles pretty well. Sting truly still gets it, and I'm so happy for him, but I hate the fact that he overpowered FTR at the same time the whole match. If you asked me, this was the perfect match for FTR to make some kind of a comeback in their career and destroying these two, teaming against Darby and leaving the old, fragile Sting in a handicap match he couldn't win. That would've been awesome, the crowd heat would've been nuclear, you set up another chapter in their rivalry, and prepare the atmosphere for the main event, because now the crowd would have wanted a happy ending even more.

Speaking of the main event, it was kinda dull sadly. Baker is over and she portrays her character amazingly in promos and backstage segments, but she's still green when wrestling. Soho suffers from the same. The match lacked rythim, neither of them were specially fluid while moving through the ring, and the crowd was losing interest because of it. The feeling of "Bryan/Omega should have been the main event" didn't helped either. But, if you ask me, I loved the choice of it being the main event: I'm a fan of title matches being the most important match of a TV show card... but the women division needs stronger ringwork if they want their big hyped matches to pay off.

Britt isn't very fluid, but when she works full heel, it doesn't hamper her wrestling because she can be extremely stiff and vicious, like she was against Soho. Ruby unfortunately I felt didn't fully hold up her end of the bargain. She was great at selling but her movement looks stiff and awkward. I really want to like her cuz she is fantastic at being a likeable babyface and has effortless charisma, but honestly, her in-ring work has underwhelmed so far in AEW. I do agree that it was a good idea to show faith in Britt being in the main event. She is one of their biggest homegrown stars and she deserves a spotlight. 

Apparently, from live reports, Rampage was better than Dynamite, although obviously no match as good as Danielson-Omega. 

1 minute ago, Tim Cooke said:

They didn't backload commercials.  First segment always goes to 8:20-8:22.  Every single week.

India gets the Fite feed so it's difficult to tell when they go to commercial exactly. This clearly was why they opened with Omega-Bryan then. Perhaps could have switched a Rampage match with one of the weak Dynamite ones. 

I appreciate Matt vocalizing his criticisms of Omega. I still don’t get Omega, and probably never will. Seeing him in the ring with Danielson and the pronounced differences between their respective approaches is stark. Omega gets the jazz hands critique and part of it is that even though he does all these movements, they don’t mean anything or add anything. Danielson makes everything count, perhaps too much given some of the bumps he took last night. 

1 hour ago, MoS said:

Apparently, from live reports, Rampage was better than Dynamite, although obviously no match as good as Danielson-Omega. 

The whole night was surreal, so I'm not sure Rampage was "better," but it was awesome and I can't wait for everyone here to see it. Some real special hometown pops on that show.