Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Rampage - Grand Slam - Sep 24 2021

Timbo Slice

4 minutes ago, Steenalized said:

AEW's got a bit too much of "groups of dudes wandering around" going on for a new viewer.

I think it's fine, I've never had an issue with stables as long as there is some direction. I like that everyone has some loose affiliations. With the Dark Order, there's a clear angle they are building, even though I am not a fan of it. Matt Hardy and his dumbass group on the other hand can fuck off forever.

Thought it was a fun sprint, nothing too good, but a nice watch. I still think the 8-man was the match of the night, although the Punk match obviously had the most heat. Highlight of the show by far was the Miro beatdown with Taz and Starks as the world's best cheerleaders 

The show lost me after the true main event (Punk/Hobbs). I was tired and distracted for everything else.

The Homicide appearance was a nice little surprise though.

"Homicide is All Elite Wrestling" was said by one of the commentators, so I guess he got signed. Good for him.

37 minutes ago, C.S. said:

The show lost me after the true main event (Punk/Hobbs). I was tired and distracted for everything else.

The Homicide appearance was a nice little surprise though.

"Homicide is All Elite Wrestling" was said by one of the commentators, so I guess he got signed. Good for him.

Homicide actually said on his IG that he was still freelance, so not sure if he got signed outright or it’s like some of the other deals they have that let him work wherever. 

1 hour ago, Timbo Slice said:

Homicide actually said on his IG that he was still freelance, so not sure if he got signed outright or it’s like some of the other deals they have that let him work wherever. 

Yeah, turns out I may have misheard Homicide "IS" when what might have been said was "Homicide IN All Elite Wrestling."

Fuck yeah, Homicide! Give me Kingston, Moxley and Homicide cutting unhinged promos and having wild brawls with whoever is up to the challenge. I haven’t seen Homicide in a minute, does he still move pretty well or is he banged up?

Thought Punk/Hobbs was great too. Hobbs has sneakily become really good, I thought all of his stuff in his control segment was excellent and he’s got the kind of charisma that isn’t immediately obvious but he’s a pretty engaging worker. He feels like someone who has been picking Mark Henry’s brain

Just now, Stiva said:

Fuck yeah, Homicide! Give me Kingston, Moxley and Homicide cutting unhinged promos and having wild brawls with whoever is up to the challenge. I haven’t seen Homicide in a minute, does he still move pretty well or is he banged up?

Thought Punk/Hobbs was great too. Hobbs has sneakily become really good, I thought all of his stuff in his control segment was excellent and he’s got the kind of charisma that isn’t immediately obvious but he’s a pretty engaging worker. He feels like someone who has been picking Mark Henry’s brain

Homicide didn't get very physical in that spot, other than untying Mox's hands which were taped behind his back and hitting Minoru & Archer a few times with a chair (I think, I'm blanking on some stuff in the final sequence). But he didn't look particularly hampered or anything.

I also assume that Homicide was either doing a one-off because they were in NYC or he's gonna be allowed to work other promotions (isn't he still with Violence Unlimited in ROH?).

10 hours ago, Steenalized said:

Paige Van Zant has gone 0-2 in bareknuckle boxing since anyone likely last heard of her, Arlovski is ancient, etc. so this came across as super small time to me.

VanZant was never much of a fighter, but she was a ratings draw. Getting into pro wrestling would be a much better career move for her than risking facial disfigurement in bare knuckle fights.

Definitely a steep drop-off from Dynamite, but not really any way it couldn’t be.  Would be cool with Punk never doing a rana again.  That was awful and killed the match for me.  
Liked the Elite/Jurassic match until the finishing stretch after JB and Christian got thrown off the ramp.  I’m sure it’s an extremely unpopular opinion here but I want to see more Marko Stunt spots and/or matches.

The second hour was mostly pretty rough but the main event was enjoyable for what they were going for and Homicide was a neat addition to it.  I can’t fathom literally anyone caring about the Hardy Family Office, though if one of them *has* to be working a match with Orange Cassidy, I’m glad it’s Jack Evans.  I’m one of the few who enjoys the Dan Lambert schtick but that post-match with the MMA run-ins was horrendous and I wish he was attached to someone more useful than Sky & Page.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

VanZant was never much of a fighter, but she was a ratings draw. Getting into pro wrestling would be a much better career move for her than risking facial disfigurement in bare knuckle fights.

oh almost certainly, just saying it's not great when you get invaded by a bunch of washed fighters who you put over

I honestly thought this was the best Rampage ever, or at least since Punk's debut. Punk-Hobbs and Superkliq-Jurassic Express were the highlights. 8-man tag was a lotta fun even if commerials ate up a ton of it. Main event was also really good. Only real low points were the MOTY-Jericho/Hager tag and Penelope-Anna which didn't get a ton of time. 

As far as ATT, I don't quite know how I feel about it. Definitely think PVZ should make the jump to pro wrestling but the only other person I would be interested in seeing is Arlovski. As old as he is, him wrecking dudes with the fangs mouthguard would be awesome to see.

On 9/25/2021 at 2:50 AM, Stiva said:

Man, that shows how out of the loop with ROH I am. Time to dig out some 2021 Homicide

He looked really good against Suzuki on Friday in GCW. He's mostly done multi-man tag stuff in ROH - might recommend him and Dickinson against Titus and Gresham from Best in the World as a good match in front of a crowd that wasn't a huge multi-man.