Pro Wrestling Only

Championship Wrestling from Florida

Blehschmidt

The Tampa Tribune

Sunday 9/26/86

Pro Wrestling to Return to the Tampa Sportatorium
by George Crump

After an absence of several years, the Tampa Sportatorium is set to once again begin hosting weekly bouts of professional wrestling. The Sportatorium was the home of the Championship Wrestling from Florida promotion from the moment it began producing weekly television up until Eddie Graham sold the promotion to the AWA early in 1984 as the Minneapolis based, Verne Gagne led promotion looked to conquer the wrestling world.

The AWA Alliance as it was called has since fallen apart, but professional wrestling itself is still alive and well. The World Wrestling Federation run by Vincent K. McMahon is dominating in the North Eastern part of the United States and has run shows nationwide on the NBC network. The National Wrestling Alliance has made a resurgence and has several promotions running across the country under it's banner, and even the AWA which seemed on the brink of oblivion after the alliance fell apart has found it's way back into the spotlight after an apparent merger with the Tennessee based USWA.

Through all of this turmoil, a hole was left here in the central Florida area as the fans of professional wrestling had been able to see their favorites in this area since the Championship Wrestling promotion was founded in 1949. While it won't be on the level of promotions such as the NWA, WWF, or AWA. That hole is about to be filled.

Former NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jack Brisco, along with his brother Gerald Brisco, and the long time voice of Florida wrestling Gordon Solie have come together to relaunch the CWF and bring wrestling back to the Florida fan base. The show will tape every Wednesday night at the Tampa Sportatorium, and air on stations across the area on Saturday afternoon and evening. The group also plans to bring the live show to larger venues across the region once they have established themselves.

Call the Sportatorium box office for times and tickets at 555-867-5309, and check your local listings to see what time and station will be airing the Championship Wrestling from Florida television program in your area.

Well, here we go!

Normally my shows will go up on Saturday, with the house shows being on Sunday. Although this week my first show will go up on Thursday, because I am out of town for the weekend. I am trying a different writing style this time around in hopes of not burning myself out, and I am also trying to not do a disservice to Gordon Solie, so his verbiage may not be as prevalent at the beginning. I guess what I am trying to say is, these shows may be a bit shorter than what I normally turned out, and at the beginning, they may be a little rough as I try to get everyone debuted. So, I hope you enjoy them, but please bare with me as I get back in the groove! So, uh, Yeah... Let's do this!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Taped on Wednesday September 29th, 1986 and airing Saturday October 2nd)

Airing on....

mf3SJ7d.jpg

and other great stations across the Southeastern United States....

From the Tampa Sportatorium, this is....

lHlY2qX.jpg

Let's head down to ringside, with the voice of Professional Wrestling...

5CsEUoc.jpg

Mr. Gordon Solie

Gordon Solie: Hello and welcome to the new Championship Wrestling from Florida! It's been nearly three years since the last time we came to you from here at the Sportatorium in Tampa, but thanks to the efforts of several generous investors and Jack and Gerry, the Brisco Brothers, we are back and ready to bring you the best professional wrestling action in the state of Florida. Tonight we will introduce you to several of the teams who are going to compete in the tournament to crown the new Florida Tag Team Champions. We will also see "Chief" Joe Lightfoot in action, and much more. A personal aside before we begin if I may, I am very excited to be back here in the CWF, and even more excited to once again bring the action into your homes every week. I hope you'll join us here each and every weekend and enjoy the show as well. We'll be right back with tag team action.

-Commercial Break-

Steve Doll and Steve Simpson, The Glamour Boys head to the ring as the young ladies in the audience go wild. They are dressed in matching white boots, blue kneepads, and blue trunks with a Glamour Boys logo on the back in white. Both men have bandanas holding back there long blonde hair, which they toss out to the crowd before the match begins.

===========================================================================================================

Match #1
-The Glamour Boys (Steve Simpson/Steve Doll) defeated The Bounty Hunters (Hunter 1/Hunter 2) when Simpson pinned #2 after the "Glam, Slam, Thank You Ma'am"-

===========================================================================================================

Gordon Solie: Doll comes off the top rope with a dropkick that puts the masked Bounty Hunter down, then Simpson follows with a flying splash that seals the deal. A dazzling tag team maneuver from The Glamour Boys. They will be one of the eight teams that will be competing to become the new Florida Tag Team Champions. Right now, I can officially announce that the first round of the tournament for those titles will take place right here in Tampa, just down the road at the Spartan Sports Center on Sunday October the Seventeenth at Four in the afternoon. Tickets will go on sale at the box office for that event this Monday at Noon. Make sure to get them early, as we expect the event to sell out quickly. We'll be right back.

-Commercial Break-

As the show returns from break, Gordon Solie is joined by a man dressed in Arabic robes, and sunglasses, with a Keffiyah covering his head.

Gordon Solie: We are back here on Championship Wrestling from Florida, and I am joined now by Mr. Skandor Akbar.

Skandor Akbar: Gordon Solie! When you refer to me, you will do so as "General" Skandor Akbar! Because now that I have conquered wrestling in the state of Texas, I have broadened my horizons and set my sights on the state of Florida. Very soon my Devastation Incorporated will rule over this company as we have done everywhere else, and it begins tonight. Because right now, I am about to present to you my warrior from the land of the rising sun, Kazaharu!

A haunting, instrumental, Oriental sounding music fills the Tampa Sportatorium. From the back comes a man wearing black karate style pants with white kanji markings down both legs, a traditional black gi with a red circle on the back and the name Kazaharu printed across the middle in white, and black tabi boots. Long black hair is tied nearly into a top knot on his head and his face is covered with the traditional red, white, and black kabuki style face paint. Akbar helps him remove the gi as he steps into the ring.

Gordon Solie: Well General Akbar has certainly produced a very impressive looking competitor. Let's see what he can do inside the squared circle.

Match #2
-Kazaharu w/Skandor Akbar defeated Shane Tylor by submission with the Rolling Japanese Sleeper-

Gordon Solie: It certainly didn't take long for this Kazaharu to dispatch young Mr. Tylor here today. After brutalizing him with martial arts chops and kicks, he locked his legs around the young mans head and rolled with him until he was unconscious. A very dangerous move to be sure. Quite the impressive debut for Kazaharu, and a very dangerous weapon for this General Akbar and his Devastation group. Don't go anywhere folks, we'll be right back with more action.

-Commercial Break-

As the show returns from commercial a video is played set to the tune of "Sharp Dressed Man" that shows Rip Rogers and Chick Donovan riding around in a convertible, then cuts to them walking on a beach with lots of girls in bikinis stopping to look at them. It then switches to the two of them dressed in suits walking into a steakhouse, then to them getting out of a limo and heading into a nightclub. Finally the pictures fade to black and the words "The Fabulous Blondes, Coming Soon" appear on the screen.

Gordon Solie: Ladies and Gentleman, up next we have two large powerful bruisers who call themselves The Highwaymen. Let's head to the ring and see them in action.

Phil Hickerson and Bobby Duncum, The Highwaymen come walking out and immediately draw the ire of the crowd. They are both wearing black cowboy hats, and floor length duster coats that are white with black trim. Duncum has on black trunks with black kneepads and cowboy boots, while Hickerson has on long black tights and a pair of standard black boots.

Match #3
-The Highwaymen (Bobby Duncum/Phil Hickerson) beat Jeff Howard/Marcus Chase when Hickerson pinned Chase after a Spike Piledriver-

Gordon Solie: I am joined now by the winners of the match, Phil Hickerson and Bobby Duncum, The Highwaymen!

Phil Hickerson: Let me tell you and all of these idiots something right now Gordon Solie! The Highwaymen have held tag team championships all across the United States, and we've come to Florida to add some more gold to our collection. It doesn't matter how many other teams there are, or who's in them. If they stand across from us, we are going to give them the piledriver and we are going to take them out. Just ask them Glamour Boys that were out here a little earlier. We've beaten their brains out from coast to coast, and if they get between us and those tag team titles, we'll be happy to do it again.

Bobby Duncum: The Highwaymen do what we do, for two reasons see. To bring home tha' gold, and to bring home tha' money. Glamour Boys or anybody else, you get between us and what we want, we gonna hurt'cha. Ya unna'stan?

Hickerson and Duncum walk away as Gordon Solie gives a look that says he certainly understands as the show heads to break.

-Commercial Break-

Match #4
-"Chief" Joe Lightfoot defeated Rick Cohen by submission with the Indian Death Lock-

Gordon Solie: An impressive win for "Chief" Joe Lightfoot there, but I'd like to take a moment and go back to something that The Highwaymen said just before the break. They said they do what they do for two reasons, money and gold, by which of course they mean championship titles. They also mentioned a previous rivalry with Steve Doll and Steve Simpson, The Glamour Boys who we saw earlier in our program. It occurs to me that we haven't even been back for a complete episode yet, and already the rivalry and hostility is beginning. The upcoming tournament for the Florida Tag Team Championship should indeed be a hotly contested affair as I can only assume that all of the teams set to compete will share that same desire for the money and the gold.

As we head to the ring for our final match of this hour, we have yet another team who will be competing in that tournament. They call themselves the South Pacific Islanders. First is the Samoan born, New Zealander known as Sivi Afi and his partner is the man from Pago Pago, Cocoa Samoa! Let's head down to ringside and take a look at these two superb athletes!

Both men come out with a traditional colorful Polynesian lavalava wrapped around their waists, and a kukui nut necklace around their necks. They head around the ring slapping hands with the fans in attendance, and then when they enter they remove the entrance gear to reveal matching tropical themed trunks. A quick tribal chant of some kind before the bell rings has them fired up, and then they are on the attack!

Match #5
-The South Pacific Islanders (Cocoa Samoa/Sivi Afi) beat Snake Brown/JT Hart when Afi pinned Hart after a Flying Crossbody-

Gordon Solie: A dominant performance from the South Pacific duo as they pick up momentum heading into the tournament for the Florida Tag Team Championship. Again, that will take place at the Spartan Sports Center on Sunday October the Seventeenth at Four P.M. Tickets on sale at the box office this Monday at Noon. Then please join us right back here next week as we will have Mark and Chris Youngblood joining us in tag team action. General Akbar has apparently promised another member of his Devastation Corporation, and we will see the world renowned "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan in action! Until then, I'm Gordon Solie saying So Long from the Sunshine State!

Note: As I stated, I am trying something different this go round. In the past, I have burned myself out writing detailed match descriptions, so I am going to save that for the big house shows, and just go results on television unless it's a very important match or something happens during the match that needs spotlighted. I am going to try to incorporate more promo's and angle progression, but here at the beginning as I try to establish everything, it's kinda slow going, so this show is much shorter than I intended it to be. I'm also rusty as hell, so please bare with me! Florida is going to be a work in progress for a little while!!

An excellent start for the new Florida promotion. Nice to see that, years after I first paired them, the Glamour Boys are still making an impact :) Kazaharu certainly seems like he will be a major player for Akbar's crew. You definitely have the start of a first rate tag division, I certainly wouldn't want to meet the Highwaymen in a dark alley.

Several minutes long "Welcome back" chant.

Aw Solie getting sentimental during the intro.

While I enjoyed writing the Glamor Boys I'm glad their back with a guy who really seems to understand them.

I see "General" Akbar is still his usual charming self. Still no denying he can do a lot with Kazaharu.

Rip Rogers & Chick Donovan sounds like a pairing you'd love to hate.

One of my biggest regrets for WSW was I never got to introduce The Highwaymen. Ever since you created them in AWA World Class they've been one of my favorite teams in the whole game.

I had never heard of Lightfoot until you started using him in Texas All-Star Wrestling but you got me interested in him. I'll keep an eye on him.

Wheither they're The South Pacific Connection or The South Pacific Islanders Siva & Samoa is a pairing that doesn't get old.

With all the teams here today plus The Tribal Nation,not to mention I'm sure Akbar has a pair lined up, Florida is poised to have one of the best tag divisions in the game! I can't wait for the tournament on the 17th. I'm sure you'll unna'stan when I say I'm pulling for a Glamor Boys/Highwaymen final.

As Dream Machine would say "Bleh is back babay!" 

Gordon brings immediate credibility to Florida's return.

Already we get a big announcement with the tag team tournament. 

I love the description Gordon gives after the matches. Speaking of description, you are the best at describing the wrestler's look and attire. So well done.

YES! Glamour Boys and Highwaymen are set for another feud in a new territory. 

Akbar wastes no time in making his presence known. Kazaharu impresses! 

Awesome intro video for the Fabulous Blondes. I already love this team. 

Lightfoot is the type of wrestler who could thrive here.

Cocoa and Siva will be super over with the Florida fans. 

Good spotlight for the tag teams. The tournament is a sure fire way to pop the house right off the bat. 

So good to have you back!

Fun first show here in Florida.  I could listen to Gordon Solie all day long.  Nice job hyping up the team for the tag title.  I enjoyed your simple match style with limited details.  Especially back in the 80's where so much of TV had a nig name vs a jobber, I always found the promos and chaos outside of the ring the most entertaining part of the show.  Even now, when I watch the old territory shows, I usually fast forwar through the match and watch the interviews.  

Good start!  Looking forward to the chaos that is Southern Wrestling!

Welcome back!! 

A solid debut show here as you give a bit of a rundown on the history of CWF and how we got here. I know you said you're not real familiar with Solie but I feel like you captured him well here throughout the show.

I've always been an advocate of just results or at least short match descriptions, just the details necessary to tell the story so I like the matches being concise and to the point. 

The Glamour Boys are here, I look forward to them continuing their natural rivalry with the Higwaymen who I'm also excited to see here!

Akbar is a good fit here and I'm looking forward to seeing you get to continue booking your creation Kazaharu as part of Devastation Inc!

Donovan and Rogers have the potential to be a super fun tag team!

Nice win by the Islanders to end the show. In just this first show alone you've got me excited for the tag team tournament! 

Great to have you back!!

(Taped on Wednesday October 6th, 1986 and airing Saturday October 9th)

Airing on....

mf3SJ7d.jpg

lHlY2qX.jpg

5CsEUoc.jpg

Mr. Gordon Solie

Gordon Solie: Hello Ladies and Gentleman and welcome to Championship Wrestling from Florida. As always, I am Gordon Solie and what an hour of action we have in store for you here today. Two more teams that are set to compete in our upcoming tournament for the Florida Tag Team Championship will be here. First, we will see a familiar manager return to Florida and bring a new team with him, then a bit later we'll see the brother team of Chris and Mark Youngblood. "General" Skandor Akbar has promised to unveil another member of his Devastation Corporation here today, and in our featured contest, world renowned competitor "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan will make his presence felt here in the CWF. But first up is a young man who is still in his rookie year in the professional wrestling business, and he has come to Florida hoping to continue his progress and find success. He is the "Beach Boy" Allen West, so let's head to the ring and see what he has to offer.

"Pipeline" by The Ventures begins to play in the Sportatorium as the "Beach Boy" emerges from behind the curtain. He is wearing tasseled boots, blue and white swirled tights that kind of have an ocean effect, and a Hawaiian shirt. He has a curly blond mullet and a mustache, and is wearing sunglasses as he heads to the ring. He is quite enthusiastic, slapping hands and flashing the "hang loose" sign at the camera. He ditches the sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt before the bell rings.

Match #1
-"Beach Boy" Allen West defeated Dave Kent with a Belly to Belly Suplex-

Gordon Solie: An impressive and dominant victory for the rookie, and he joins me now. Allen West, welcome to the CWF.

Allen West: Thank You Gordon, and you have no idea how happy I am to be here. I've only been wrestling professionally for about ten months, but getting down here to Florida where the waves are hot and the action is even hotter is a huge step forward for the "Beach Boy!" Win or Lose, I am going to give it my all out here every time, and I am going to keep getting better and better. Before I go I want to thank these people for being behind me, and I want to thank everyone involved with Championship Wrestling from Florida for giving me this chance.

West flashes the "hang loose" sign again and heads to the back to a big round of cheers.

Gordon Solie: We'll be right back with tag team action. Don't go anywhere.

-Commercial Break-

Gordon Solie: Welcome back Ladies and Gentleman. Joining me momentarily is going to be the manager for our next tag team, a man who long time fans here in Florida will be quite familiar with, please welcome "Sir" Oliver Humperdink.

To a hearty round of jeers, Humperdink comes from the back wearing an obnoxious blue suit and dark sunglasses that contrast nicely with his fluffy red mullet and large beard.

Oliver Humperdink: Solie, you better tell all of these idiots to keep it down! I have something to say!!

Gordon Solie: Well Mr. Humperdink, please don't let them distract you from saying whatever that is. I'm sure it's very important.

Oliver Humperdink: Don't you be condescending to me Solie! You see, I've just returned from a vacation in Puerto Rico courtesy of my friend Chicky Starr, and while I was there I was doing some scouting, and I came across a tag team that is going to dominate Championship Wrestling from Florida. They are two of the meanest, baddest, toughest men that I have ever seen inside of that ring, and they are going to make all of these lazy American teams look like nothing. So right here tonight, let me introduce you to the next sensation in tag team wrestling, and part of The House of Humperdink! Ricky Santana and Miguelito Perez, Los Cubanos!!

Ricky Santana and Miguelito Perez come out both wearing black vests, and matching Cuban flag tights. Ricky is looking especially sleazy with his mullet slicked back, and Miguel is just covered in body hair and laughing as the fans boo them unmercifully. Humperdink is quick to meet up with them and is continuing to hype them as they head into the ring.

Match #2
-Los Cubanos (Miguelito Perez/Ricky Santana) beat Scott Reese/Willie Sparks after Perez put Sparks out with a DDT-

Gordon Solie: Oliver Humperdink may be braggadocios and prone to exaggeration, but he has certainly found quite a tag team with Miguel and Ricky. They worked well together and had no trouble with their opponents here this evening. I do understand that they will be a part of the upcoming tournament for the Florida Tag Team Championship, the first round of which will take place just down the road at the Spartan Sports Center on Sunday October the Seventeenth at Four P.M. Tickets are currently on sale at the box office, and I understand they are moving fast. Be sure to get yours and join us live! We'll be right back with more action.

-Commercial Break-

As we return from break, we are shown another vignette of Rip Rogers and Chick Donovan. This time we open and they are wearing tuxedos and throwing dice at a craps table inside a casino. Then we are taken to the two of them out on a golf course, and we see Chick sink a putt and the two of them high five. The video then cuts to a swimming pool where we get an eye full of them walking in speedos as all the ladies at the pool stop and stare, and then finally we see them on a beach playing volleyball and we see Rip spike it on the other team and we get another high five. Then the words "Fabulous Blondes.... Coming Soon" fill the screen.

We cut back to Gordon Solie and he has once again been joined by Skandor Akbar.

Gordon Solie: Ladies and Gentleman, my guest at this time is "General" Skandor Akbar.

Skandor Akbar: Good Solie! You remembered!

Gordon Solie: Yes. Anyway, I understand that you are set to reveal another member of your Devastation Incorporated group here this evening.

Skandor Akbar: When I am good and ready Gordon Solie! First I want to talk about Kazaharu! Last week my Oriental Assassin made his presence felt here on this show, and I know that all of the other athletes here in Florida are quaking in their boots! So tell me Gordon Solie, dean of wrestling announcers, what did you think of my Kazaharu?

Gordon Solie: I must say he was a very impressive athlete, and that was quite a display he put on. He will certainly be a top contender here in Championship Wrestling.

Skandor Akbar: Ha Ha Ha!! That's right! NOW.... allow me to introduce you to the next member of Devastation Incorporated!!

Akbar makes a sweeping gesture toward the curtain, and from behind it emerges a man that is known all around the wrestling world. The Sheik!

Gordon Solie: Now wait just a minute!! He can't be here! The Sheik is permanently banned from competing in the state of Florida!

The Sheik begins to come after Solie, but Akbar steps in between them and begins speaking in a foreign language to him. It takes several tense moments, but eventually The Sheik backs away and appears satisfied. Akbar turns back to Solie and has a half a grin on his face and lets out a laugh.

Skandor Akbar: Gordon Solie, you are truly a lucky man. I'm well aware that The Sheik received a life time ban from wrestling in the state of Florida many years ago. I am also aware that if I had let him do to you just now what he intended to do to you, that would have meant the end of my career, his career, and the career of the man we are about to bring out here. So fortunately for you Mr. Solie, while I would have very much enjoyed watching The Sheik bleed you slowly on the floor, I like the color green a whole lot more than the color red. So before I continue, I will allow you to thank me for saving your life.

Solie stares at Akbar with disdain for several long moments, then glances over at The Sheik who still looks ready to cut him. Finally Gordon mutters a Thank You. Akbar laughs and then continues.

Skandor Akbar: Yes, The Sheik is banned from wrestling in the state of Florida. However, he is not banned from acting in an advisory position in the state of Florida. So, I have procured him a managers license, and he will be acting alongside myself as the counsel for the man who I am about to introduce to the world. Ladies and Gentleman, the state of Florida may have banned The Sheik from competing here and destroying all who cross his path, but they did not, and can not prevent his heir from continuing his legacy. So "General" Skandor Akbar, and The Sheik proudly present to you his nephew, and the newest member of Devastation Incorporated.... Sabu!

From behind the curtain comes a young man wearing an all white Keffiyah, gold tights with Sabu written down both legs and a camel on the rear, and white Arabian style pointy boots. When the head wrap is removed he has an unkempt mess of black hair and a mustache. He appears to be filled with anxious energy and looks like a caged animal as he bounces back and forth in his corner as The Sheik appears to be speaking to him very quietly.

Match #3
-Sabu w/Skandor Akbar & The Sheik beat Lloyd Daniels after a Flying Legdrop to the back of the head, followed by the Camel Clutch-

Gordon Solie: I don't particularly care for this General Akbar, and I absolutely don't agree with The Sheik being back in Florida. But this nephew, this Sabu, is obviously new to the squared circle, but he is already very dangerous and will only continue to improve. That legdrop from the top turnbuckle came from almost half way across the ring and I have to tell you, I have rarely seen anyone cover that kind of distance. The Camel Clutch was an homage, but was totally unnecessary as the opponent was already finished. Very dangerous indeed. Ladies and Gentleman, we will be right back with The Youngbloods in tag team action.

-Commercial Break-

Match #4
-The Youngbloods (Mark Youngblood/Chris Youngblood) beat Snake Brown/The Spider when Mark pinned The Spider after a Diving Tomahawk Chop-

Gordon Solie: The late Jay Youngblood was no stranger to the fans of Florida and the Mid-Atlantic area. Now his younger brothers Mark and Chris are looking to carry on his legacy and the great tradition of Native American professional wrestlers in this area. If what we've seen here today is any indication, they will certainly be able to do both of those things as well as be one of the top seeds in the upcoming tournament for the Florida Tag Team Titles. Again, the first round of that tournament will be happening right here in Tampa at the Spartan Sports Center on Sunday October the Seventeenth at Four P.M. Here is what we already have signed for that event....

First Round Match in the Florida Tag Team Title Tournament: The Highwaymen vs Good and Plenty

First Round Match in the Florida Tag Team Title Tournament: The Glamour Boys vs Representatives of Devastation Incorporated

First Round Match in the Florida Tag Team Title Tournament: Los Cubanos vs The Youngbloods

First Round Match in the Florida Tag Team Title Tournament: The Fabulous Blondes vs The South Pacific Islanders

Just Signed: Sabu w/The Sheik and Skandor Akbar vs "Chief" Joe Lightfoot

"The Oriental Assassin" Kazaharu vs Florida's own "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal

It is going to be quite an afternoon of hard hitting action. Make sure to pick up your tickets at the box office and join us for that big event. We will be right back with "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan.

-Commercial Break-

As we return from break, Gordon is joined by "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan who is ready to head into the ring.

Gordon Solie: Mr. Duggan, welcome to Championship Wrestling from Florida.

Jim Duggan: Mr. Duggan is my father Gordon. You can call me Jim.

Gordon Solie: Ha! Well Jim, before you go into competition here today, I just wanted to ask you what brings you to the CWF.

Jim Duggan: Well Gordon. I've fought and wrestled all over this great country, and when I heard that professional wrestling was returning to Florida, I knew that I wanted to come down here and fight the best that Florida has to offer. So I jumped in my old pickup truck and I came from California clear across the country to Florida, and here we are.

Gordon Solie: Well good luck to you Jim.

Jim Duggan: Thank You Gordon. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go beat somebody up!

Match #5
-"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan defeated Rick Cohen with a Running Lariat from a Three Point Stance-

Gordon Solie: "Hacksaw" Duggan makes short work of the competition here today, and nearly takes his head off with that clothesline. I have to say... Wait a Moment... What's This....

As Duggan is celebrating his victory, another man slides into the ring behind him. He has long curly black hair and a beard. He is wearing black trunks, black knee pads, and black boots. He is also carrying a length of chain, which he uses to clobber Duggan in the back of the head. He starts to wrap the chain around the neck of Duggan, but several referees and enhancement wrestlers rush the ring causing him to bail out to the floor.

Gordon Solie: Ladies and Gentleman, that is Hercules Hernandez and so far as I know, he does not work here in Championship Wrestling from Florida. Not only did he assault Jim Duggan, but it appeared he was going to try and strangle him! Let's see if I can....

Gordon gets up from the announce position and walks to where the man who just attacked Duggan is heading away from ringside.

Gordon Solie: Mr. Hernandez, would you care to explain why you just attacked "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan from behind and then attempted to....

Hercules grabs the microphone away from Solie mid-sentence and glares at him for several long seconds before speaking.

Hercules Hernandez: Because I can little man! You get in my way, and I might just do it to you too!

Hernandez shoves the microphone back into the chest of Solie and stomps toward the back to a chorus of boos. Solie looks a bit shaken but dutifully closes the show, as we can see Duggan being helped to his feet in the background.

Gordon Solie: Hercules Hernandez makes quite the first impression here in Florida today with an attack on "Hacksaw" Duggan and threats against yours truly. Please be sure to join us right here next week when we will see the debut of the team known as Good and Plenty. I have seen these men in action and I can promise you won't want to miss this one! We will also see "General" Skandor Akbar unveil the Devastation Incorporated tag team that will be part of our tournament, and "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal, a Florida native will be here in action! Then the very next night we will be in the Spartan Sports Center for the first round of the tournament to crown Florida Tag Team Champions and so much more. We hope you'll be there with us that night, and we hope you'll join us right here next week. Until then, I'm Gordon Solie saying So Long from the Sunshine State!

Having listened to some of him online i gotta say, your worry about capturing Solie's voice was completely misplaced.

Who better for a push in Florida than a "Beach Boy"?

I understand Humperdink did some of his best work in Florida & Los Cubanos are poised to be a big deal. Also can I just say how cool is was of Chicky to pay for Humperdink's vacation.

Oh the Florida fans are going to have a lot to say too the Fabulous Blondes.

I had to read the back-and-forth between Solie & Akbar twice,it was that good. I can just imagine the tension as Shiek moved towards Solie & then scared a thank you out of him. I think it's safe to say that Florida will NEVER forget the debut of Sabu.

I loved writing The Youngbloods but I'm glad you've got them again.

Oh that first round is stacked. Kinda disappointed that if The Glamor Boys & The Highwaymen meet it won't be the finals but as long as they meet I'm good. Wonder who Akbar's bringing in? Whoever they are October 17th could be a HUGE night for Devastation Inc.

Hercules vs Duggan sounds like a wonderfully hard-hitting feud.

Week 2! I agree that despite your concerns going in, you've captured the voice of Gordon Solie quite well and it just wouldn't be Florida without Gordon hosting.

Great debut for the "Beach Boy" Allen West, I know Spaldoni mentioned it recently  but I really think it bears repeating what a great job you do describing the gear and look of both the wrestling and the surroundings which really helps bring this stuff to life and paint the picture of what we're reading, I think that's where my biggest weakness is and I've tried to work on that recently.

Humperdink has arrived with Los Cubanos who have to be a favorite in the running for those Florida tag team titles!

Rip Rogers and Chic Donovan may be the most 80's tag team of all time! Can't wait to see them in action here!

Akbar bringing in the Sheik to mentor Sabu who is green as grass here but having the Sheik out there gives him instant credibility plus he would learn a lot in this scenario as well.

Solid first round matches signed for the tournament but what caught my eye is GOOD AND PLENTY are back together and going for the gold!!

Hacksaw arrives! But unfortunately for him so does Hercules....this should a fun feud as this is really the prime of both of these guys careers here in '86!

Another great show, Florida is coming together quickly! 

Allen West's Beach Boy gimmick will certainly get over in Florida. Bonus points for the lingo used in his promo. 

Humperdink is back in Florida and has brought along Los Cubanos. 

The Fabulous Blonds sure know how to have a great time. I would love to hang out with these guys LOL. 

WOW! Akbar brings in the Sheik! As if that wasn't enough, they introduce Sabu! Devastation indeed.

The Youngbloods are looking to make an impact in the upcoming tournament.

Speaking of the tournament, looking at the first round matches, I can't figure out who's going to win it. 

Hacksaw Duggan hits Florida with a bang! However, Hercules makes his presence immediately known with a brutal attack. Florida now has its first main event program. Nice job here. 

Only 2 weeks in and Florida has some serious buzz.  

I enjoyed this show a lot.  I think a small territory like you plan on running is a great place for Sabu to begin his build.  While he us years away from stardom, few would see him here and he has time to learn his craft.  Throw i the Sheik and Akbar and he has plenty of protection.  Duggan vs Herc could be huge,  Nice tag division!

(Taped on Wednesday October 13th, 1986 and airing Saturday October 16th)

Airing on....

mf3SJ7d.jpg

lHlY2qX.jpg

5CsEUoc.jpg

Mr. Gordon Solie

Gordon Solie: Hello Ladies and Gentleman and welcome to Championship Wrestling from Florida. I am Gordon Solie and my oh my, do we have quite a program lined up for you here today. We will have in action two more of the tag teams set to compete tomorrow afternoon at the Spartan Sports Center here in Tampa as part of our tournament for the Florida Tag Team Titles. First up will be the Devastation Incorporated team that we, as of now know very little about, but I can only assume that General Akbar will be along shortly to fill in those details. Then the fun loving duo known as Good and Plenty will be out here a little later, and if you've never seen these two gentleman, well I can promise you that you won't want to miss this! We will also see the debut of the exciting "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal who is from just across the way in Fort Lauderdale, and we will also be joined by the man who last week assaulted "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan at the conclusion of our main event, Hercules Hernandez. So let's take a quick break, and we'll be right back with the Devastation Incorporated team. Don't go anywhere.

-Commercial Break-

As we return we see that Gordon has in fact been joined by Skandor Akbar.

Gordon Solie: General Akbar, am I to assume that you are here to introduce us to your representatives in tomorrows tournament for the Florida Tag Team Titles?

Skandor Akbar: Correct you are Gordon Solie! Two weeks ago I unveiled the crown jewel of my Devastation Corporation, the Oriental Assassin known as Kazaharu! Then last week alongside my business associate The Sheik, I unleashed Sabu upon the world. Now here today, I present to you the two men who are going to march into the Spartan Sports Center tomorrow afternoon and claim the Florida Tag Team Titles for Devastation Inc! I have my assassin, and I have my future champion, now I bring forth my troops, my warriors! Without further adieu, I present Shrapnel and Armada... The Dogs of War!!

The first of the men to emerge from the curtain, Shrapnel, stands around 6'2" and has long black hair and a full beard. He is well built but not overly muscular, and is wearing camouflage pants over a black singlet, and has his hands taped about half way up the forearm. His face is fully covered in camouflage grease paint and he has a thousand yard stare that never leaves his face.

The man who follows him out, Armada, is around the same height but has a body that looks like it was chiseled out of granite. If this man has missed a day at the gym, it hasn't been recently. He has brown hair that looks like it is starting to be grown long and a mustache, and his face also has camouflage paint but it is in more of a design than that of his partner. He is dressed in black boots, knee pads, and a pair of black trunks with the word ARMADA emblazoned on the rear. He also has bands around his bulging biceps.

Match #1
-Dogs of War (Shrapnel/Armada) beat Scott Reese/Jeff Howard after Armada pinned Reese following a Press Slam Drop.-

Gordon Solie: My goodness, what destruction. I have no idea where Akbar found these two, but they look to be very dangerous indeed. We'll be right back.

The camera fades to commercial on Armada flexing his impressive muscles for the camera.

Iwv8xiZ.jpg

-Commercial Break-

Gordon Solie: Welcome back to Championship Wrestling, and please welcome me in joining from Fort Lauderdale, "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal!

Kenny Loggins "Danger Zone" hits in the Tampa Sportatorium and the cheers go up as Steve Regal makes his way to the podium. He is wearing blue tights with white boots and a black satin jacket with Mr. Electricity on the back in glittery gold lettering. He waves to the crowd before shaking hands with Gordon.

Gordon Solie: Mr. Regal, welcome to Championship Wrestling from Florida.

Steve Regal: You know something Gordon Solie, I've wrestled all across the United States. I've been to Mexico, I've been to Japan, and MAN... does it feel good to come home!

Gordon Solie: Ha! I'm sure. Now, before you head to the ring I just wanted to ask. What are you goals here in the CWF?

Steve Regal: Well, I know tomorrow night they are starting the tournament to crown those Florida Tag Team Champions. Well, I can't think it will be too long before they figure out how they want to crown a new Florida Heavyweight Champion. However they decide to do that, "Mr. Electricity" wants to be a part of it!

Gordon Solie: Thank You Steve.

Steve Regal: Thank You Gordon!

Match #2
-"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal submitted Mitch Currie with the Fort Lauderdale Leglock-

Gordon Solie: Steve Regal picks up the win with his Lauderdale Leglock much to the delight of the fans in attendance here today at the Sportatorium. It will be very interesting to see if he will be able to use that hold as effectively tomorrow afternoon when he takes on "General" Akbar's Oriental Assassin Kazaharu as part of our event at the Spartan Sports Center here in Tampa. Let's go ahead and run down what we have in store for folks tomorrow afternoon....

First Round Match in the Florida Tag Team Title Tournament: The Highwaymen vs The Youngbloods

First Round Match in the Florida Tag Team Title Tournament: The Glamour Boys vs Dogs of War

First Round Match in the Florida Tag Team Title Tournament: Los Cubanos vs Good and Plenty

First Round Match in the Florida Tag Team Title Tournament: The Fabulous Blondes vs The South Pacific Islanders

Sabu w/The Sheik and Skandor Akbar vs "Chief" Joe Lightfoot

"The Oriental Assassin" Kazaharu vs Florida's own "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal

Some of you may notice that a change has been made to the tournament match ups since they were announced last week. Please allow me a moment to explain to you the reason for this adjustment. Bobby Duncum and Phil Hickerson, collectively The Highwaymen were originally slotted against the team of Good and Plenty who we will see debut here next. However, when they found out that Chris and Mark Youngblood were part of this tournament, they went to the matchmakers here in Championship Wrestling and asked for the match to be changed. Apparently just over a year ago in Texas, The Highwaymen held the tag team titles of a promotion in the Dallas area and they were defeated by The Youngbloods for those championships. They've apparently not let that one go, and wanted another shot at Chris and Mark. The Youngbloods were more than happy to oblige, and neither Good and Plenty nor the Humperdink led team of Los Cubanos had any objections, so the brackets have been switched.  

Anyhow, a stellar card either way, and again that is right here in Tampa, just down the road at the Spartan Sports Center with a bell time of 4pm. Be sure to join us for a great afternoon of wrestling action. We'll be right back with Good and Plenty!

-Commercial Break-

As the show returns from commercial, New Edition's "Candy Girl" begins to play and out from the back comes the duo of Skip Young and Ray Candy! They are wearing matching red and white striped tights, sparkling red boots, and sparkling red vests. The only difference being that Young's vest says "Sweet Brown Sugar" on the back while Candy's reads "The Candy Man." They are grooving to the beat of the song and high fiving the fans on the way to the ring, and the Sportatorium fans are eating it up, dancing and clapping along. The ring announcer introduces them as "weighting in at a combined weight of 575 pounds, "Sweet Brown Sugar" Skip Young, "The Candy Man" Ray Candy, they are Good & Plenty!!"

Match #3
-Good & Plenty (Ray Candy/Skip Young) beat JT Hart/Rick Cohen after Candy pinned Reese following the Chocolate Drop.-

Gordon Solie: Ladies and Gentleman, I am here with your winners Ray Candy and Skip Young! Now gentleman, tomorrow afternoon you will take on Los Cubanos in the first round of the tournament to crown the new Florida Tag Team Champions. Can I get your thoughts on that contest.

Skip Young: Ya know something! When Sweet Brown Sugar and The Candy Man first came together, everybody said that we had nothing in common. They said cause he was big and I was little that this team could never work. Well lemme tell ya Gordon, Good and Plenty have proven to all those people that when we work together, ain't nobody gonna stop us! So tomorrow when we step in the ring with them cowboys or whatever they is, they better be ready cause the whippin' were planning to give them is gonna be Good and Plenty!

Ray Candy: That's right! Los Cubanos! We know your two tough guys. But with my size and his speed, you've never faced anything like me and Sugar before. So tomorrow when we head into the ring and you two boys are thinking to yourselves, who can beat Los Cubanos? I'll tell you who. My man Skip Young, Sweet Brown Sugar can, and you gotta know... The Candy Man Can! Give it to me Gordon!

Candy holds up his hand up for a high five and after several moments of looking absolutely unsure of himself, Gordon slaps the hand of Candy to a massive pop from the crowd in the Tampa Sportatorium! Young and Candy then head to the back as Solie shrugs his shoulders and the show heads to break.

-Commercial Break-

We get yet another vignette of Rip Rogers and Chick Donovan, and this time we get a montage of them in the gym. First we see them lifting weights, followed by them posing in the mirror. Then we get them riding exercise bikes, and winking at several ladies who are also using the bikes. Then we see them running laps around an outdoor track, then we cut to them swimming laps at an indoor pool, complete with slow motion shots of them shaking out their hair when they come out of the water. Finally we end with a shot of the two of them wiping their faces with a towel, before nodding to one another and giving the camera a thumbs up.

Gordon Solie: This team of Donovan and Rogers have certainly made an impression with the videos they've sent in to be played each week, but it remains to be seen whether or not they'll have what it takes when it comes to the tournament for the Florida Tag Team Titles. Up next we have the man who last week brutally assaulted "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan after his match, one Hercules Hernandez. Last week Mr. Hernandez threatened physical harm on yours truly when I attempted to get a word with him, but I am hoping today maybe he will be a bit more cordial.

Hercules comes from the back in white boots, and black knee pads and trunks. He has his chain wrapped around his neck and is headed toward the ring when Gordon Solie calls out to him.

Gordon Solie: Mr. Hernandez, if I may...

Hercules Hernandez: What is it, little man!

Gordon Solie: Last week after you attacked Jim Duggan, and I asked you why, you said because you could. Is that truly all there was too it?

Hercules Hernandez: Gordon Solie, when you arrive somewhere and you want to make an impact and show everyone that you are the biggest and baddest man around, the best way to do that is by finding the guy already there who fits that bill, and beating him down. So what you saw last week was The Mighty Hercules establishing himself as the Alpha Male of Florida wrestling. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go break this guy in half.

Gordon Solie: There you have it Ladies and Gentleman.

Match #4
-Hercules Hernandez submitted Big Train McGee with the Torture Backbreaker-

Gordon Solie: It certainly didn't take Hercules long too.... here comes "Hacksaw" Duggan!!

Duggan charges to the ring dressed in blue jeans and a button down shirt and is carrying a large 2x4 with him! He makes it into the ring before Hercules realizes what is happening, and takes a swing at him with the board, but Hernandez bails out of the ring at the last possible second. Duggan is clearly pissed off, and follows Hercules out of the ring and begins chasing him, at one point swinging the board at him and catching it hard enough on the ring post to break the board and send part of the 2x4 sailing off into the corner of the building. Both men soon disappear into the back of the building.

Gordon Solie: Katie bar the door, it's a Pier Six Brawl! Let's take a break while we get order restored!

-Commercial Break-

Gordon Solie: Welcome back Ladies and Gentleman, I do understand that "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan has been escorted from the building and order has been restored in the back. I've also just received word that tomorrow afternoon at the Spartan Sports Center, a new main event has just been signed. Hercules Hernandez will step into the ring one on one with "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan! That one is sure to be a fight for the ages. Tickets are still available at the box office, but only a few remain. That's tomorrow at 4pm, just down the road at the Spartan Sports Center. I understand that we still have a few minutes left here today, so let's head down to the ring for a stand by contest.

Match #5
-The Bounty Hunters (Hunter #1/Hunter #2) and Ken Johnson/Marcus Chase was declared a No Contest after Outside Interference.-

Gordon Solie: That's "Mad Dog" Buzz Sawyer and "Maniac" Matt Borne!!

Sawyer and Borne hit the ring and wasted no time decimating all four men. Sawyer leveled Bounty Hunter #1 with a headbutt between the eyes, while Borne grabbed #2 and hurled him over the top rope to the arena floor. They then turned their attention to the other two men. Johnson decided to attempt taking the fight to them, charging across the ring, but Sawyer caught him in a brutal Powerslam. Meanwhile Borne kicked Chase hard in the gut and then dropped him with a piledriver. Sawyer made a move for the referee who quickly exited the ring, and then the two of them showboated as the crowd boo'ed them heartily. Borne then leaned through the ropes and grabbed the ring announcers microphone.

Matt Borne: Florida! Florida! Florida! Lucky for you, you made your little tag team tournament before Matt Borne and the Mad Dog got here. Because if you hadn't, we'd be walking out with those belts tomorrow afternoon. But Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock... the time will come soon enough.

Buzz Sawyer: TOMORROW! Me and Borne are coming to the Sports Center! You better have us somebody to fight... OR WE'LL FIND SOMEBODY!!!

Gordon Solie: It would appear that the dastardly duo of Matt Borne and Buzz Sawyer have arrived here in Championship Wrestling from Florida, and something tells me that nothing will ever be the same. They are saying that they will be at the Spartan Sports Center tomorrow afternoon, and we certainly hope you will be as well. It's a stacked card featuring the first round of the tournament for the Florida Tag Team Titles, as well as several other matches. Bell time is 4pm, and we certainly hope to see you and your family there. Then we'll see you right back here next week. Until then, this is Gordon Solie saying So Long From the Sunshine State!

Enjoying the mix of vets and newcomers here in Florida.  With Sawyer, Borne and Herc, the heels seem to hold the power here in Florida but given Duggan some time to find some friends and this will be one wild place.  The tag tourny is going to be interesting as we will get a chance to see who you want to push first.  Nice job.

Akbar cries "Havoc" & lets slip the Dogs of War!

I believe this is the first I'm seeing Regal as a face. Let's see how he does.

I love the visual of Solie visibly debating with himself whether or not to *gasp* high-five someone.

I can just picture every man in Florida wanting to punch The Hollywood Blondes faces in. If I wasn't clear,that's a good thing.

Hercules vs Hacksaw to decide the real "Alpha male of Florida". Sounds like a main event worth the ticket price.

Just when you thought Florida couldn't get any crazier,Mad Dog & the Maniac roll up & be all "Alright we're here now give us somebody to kill or we're going to kill everyone" 

All this plus a crazy stacked tournament. He'll yeah.

TvkSBBY.png

Spartan Sports Center

Tampa, Florida

Sunday October 17th, 1986

Bell Time: 4:00pm

Open Challenge Tag Team Match

"Mad Dog" Buzz Sawyer & "Maniac" Matt Borne vs Brady Boone & Joe Savoldi

Not so much a match as a massacre. Boone was tossed to the floor early, and then Borne and Sawyer went to work dismantling Savoldi. Every time Boone tried to get back in and help his partner, he was thrown back to the floor. Savoldi was pummeled unmercifully, before finally being hit with a Sawyer Powerslam, and then pinned after a Top Rope Seated Senton from Borne. After the match Borne and Sawyer could be hear loudly asking where all the tough guys were in Florida.

Singles Contest

Sabu w/The Sheik & "General" Skandor Akbar defeated "Chief" Joe Lightfoot after a Flying Legdrop followed by the Camel Clutch

Florida Tag Team Title Tournament - First Round

The Glamour Boys (Steve Doll/Steve Simpson) vs The Dogs of War (Shrapnel/Armada) w/"General" Skandor Akbar

Armada was a force at the beginning of this match, rag dolling both Doll and Simpson all over the ring. Stiff clotheslines and body slams had things looking bleak for The Glamour Boys. Once Shrapnel was tagged in, and he was unable to put either Doll or Simpson away, the tide began to turn. The Glamour Boys began using frequent tags and utilizing their speed to break the bigger opponent down, and finally scored the win when Doll dropkicked him into a crucifix by Simpson. Armada was seconds too late to break up the fall. Akbar was beside himself at ringside, berating both of his men, as The Glamour Boys celebrated.

The Highwaymen (Phil Hickerson/Bobby Duncum) beat The Youngbloods (Mark Youngblood/Chris Youngblood) when Duncum pinned Chris after the Spike Piledriver

Singles Contest

"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal vs Kazaharu w/"General" Skandor Akbar

A fantastic back and forth match that easily could have gone either way. Regal was constantly attempting to work on the leg, as Kazaharu targeted the head and neck with chops and nerve holds. It looked like Regal was going to get the job done when he slapped on the Ft. Lauderdale Leglock, but to the surprise of everyone in attendance, Kazaharu spewed a green mist into the face of Regal! The referee immediately called for the Disqualification as Regal clutched at his face. Kazaharu looked to be about to inflict more punishment on the blinded Regal, but referees and officials hit the ring and Akbar called him off.

Good & Plenty ("Candy Man" Ray Candy/"Sweet Brown Sugar" Skip Young) defeated Los Cubanos (Ricky Santana/Miguelito Perez) w/"Sir" Oliver Humperdink when Ray Candy pinned Miguelito Perez after the Chocolate Drop

The South Pacific Islanders (Cocoa Samoa/Sivi Afi) vs The Fabulous Blondes (Rip Rogers/Chick Donovan)

The heat on Chick and Rip as they strutted and shook their asses on the way to the ring to "Sharp Dressed Man" was off the charts. The stalling and stooging that followed after the bell rang just made the people hate them more. Cocoa and Sivi were like gods every time they managed to light one of them up with a headbutt or a chop. When Sivi ran Chick into the ropes and they rolled backwards, Chick came out on top. Two handfuls of trunks later, and the Blondes were victorious, and the crowd was not remotely happy!

Main Event

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan vs Hercules Hernandez

This was a street fight from the moment the bell rang and the referee was doing everything he could to keep order. Eventually the action spilled to the floor and both men totally gave up on paying attention to the referee, banging each other into guard rails, off of the timekeepers table, and into ring posts. When Hercules grabbed his chain off the ring apron and took a swing at Duggan, the referee had enough and threw the match out. The fight didn't end though as Duggan grabbed hold of the 2x4 he brought to the ring and cracked Hernandez across the back with it. Hercules said the hell with it and headed for the dressing room as Duggan stood in the ring begging him to come back and fight.

Florida better find a couple of tough guys for Boone & Sawyer & quick.

Sabu claims his first notable scalp.

And we have the next round in the epic Glamor Boys/Highwaymen saga.

Kazaharu busts out the mist against Regal! A rematch seems inevitable.

Good & Plenty promises to be a entertaining counterbalance to the "main" semifinal match.

Herc & Hacksaw boil over to the surprise of no one. Clearly something more substantial is in order.

Right off the bat I have to give you major props on building one heck of a tag team division. 

Akbar kicks the show off with his debuting Dogs of War. Perfect place for Hellwig to gain some valuable experience. 

Nothing like a hometown boy for the fans to get behind. Regal has spent a lot of time in this game as a heel so this will give him a fresh coat of paint. 

The tag team tournament is stacked. Liked the explanation of the changes. Nice play on the history. 

Oh man how I missed Good and Plenty! 

The Fabulous Blondes vignettes have been one of my favorite segments. 

YES! Duggan vs. Herc has been signed! 

WHOA! Sawyer and Borne together! They sent out a vicious message. 

To the Spartan Sports Center,

The brutality of Sawyer and Borne continues. Can anyone stop these guys? 

Great showing for Sabu as he gets a big win over a very credible Joe Lightfoot.

I was honestly worried about the Glamor Boys but they score a nice win over the Dogs of War. LOL, Akbar was pissed.

Highwaymen get their payback on the Youngblood's. 

That dreaded mist strikes again. Looks like a feud coming between Regal and Kazaharu. 

NICE! Good and Plenty advance over Los Cubanos. 

The Islanders almost spoil the Blondes debut but clever Chick Donovan holds on tight to get the win. 

Damn! Duggan and Herc give the fans a fight! Their matches are going to pack the houses. 

Florida puts out a successful first event. The Briscos will be busy counting money.