Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Extreme Rules 2021 - Less Extreme, More Rules

C.S.

Loved bubba @DMJ's breakdown of the match, and in many ways it echoes my feelings. I still am not sure what they can do to somehow salvage this situation. Maybe go full stupid and just say God saved Roman from the Demon? No idea. IMO Balor's facepaint should've never been more than a big match aesthetic feature. He looks less impressive coming out with a stupid wig than he normally does with that leather jacket.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, DMJ said:

Prior to WM31, there was alot of anti-Roman sentiment among "smart" fans and many people were sickened about the foregone conclusion that he would go over clean and that Reigns would then take over as the de facto top babyface for years to come, essentially replacing Cena. Now, in hindsight, none of that happened and Seth Rollins cashed in his briefcase and so on and, internally, Vince and his yes men believed they had averted the disaster of having Reigns get booed by doing a swerve ending and cementing Rollins as the new top heel (who was also a "smart" fan darling, thus pleasing that portion of the audience).

But even a day after it happened, those same smart fans (who should've been over the moon that Reigns had failed) were posting about how it was actually the wrong decision. Why? Because the match was damn good and Reigns looked damn good in it. The idea that Reigns should've won isn't some 2021 hindsight misremembering either. Re-watch the match and judge for yourself. The live crowd wanted a clean ending and would've popped for Reigns. The Rollins cash-in gets a big reaction because cash-ins always do, but ultimately, they blew their moment. 

Funny, I have been watching Christophe Agius (the French WWE announcer of these last 20 years and to me a legit top 5 announcers ever) show/podcast on Youtube, and at the WM31 episode he's been saying the same thing. I must preface by saying he's incredibly genuine (and humble. and fun to listen to) and never just giving the company line (very seldom does he appear to do so and even when that happens he manages to balance his arguments). He said that in his opinion they missed the opportunity that night with Reigns, as although he was rejected by the crowd, you could feel that the way the match was structured, with Lesnar walking over Roman, had the crowd slowly but surely gaining support for him. To him if Roman had won, the pop would have been lesser than with Rollins on that night, but that would have won over the crowd and would have got Roman to be finally accepted.

That show is awesome BTW in term of little backstage tidbits and anecdotes from the few times him and Philippe Chéreau have been brought to the US (a few Manias, Summerslam and Rumbles in the last decade), gives you a peak to the backstage and mostly the WWE company from a very different point of view. I guess only @SirEdger around here can really make something about this info, but there you go.

Jackie used to do WWE Aftermath on Sportsnet 360 before she moved to the States to work for NHL Network & TurnerSports. She's a real fan and knowledgeable. That's a great hire for WWE. She actually is the one who replaced Renee Paquette when she was hired by WWE.

9 hours ago, El-P said:

Funny, I have been watching Christophe Agius (the French WWE announcer of these last 20 years and to me a legit top 5 announcers ever) show/podcast on Youtube, and at the WM31 episode he's been saying the same thing. I must preface by saying he's incredibly genuine (and humble. and fun to listen to) and never just giving the company line (very seldom does he appear to do so and even when that happens he manages to balance his arguments). He said that in his opinion they missed the opportunity that night with Reigns, as although he was rejected by the crowd, you could feel that the way the match was structured, with Lesnar walking over Roman, had the crowd slowly but surely gaining support for him. To him if Roman had won, the pop would have been lesser than with Rollins on that night, but that would have won over the crowd and would have got Roman to be finally accepted.

That show is awesome BTW in term of little backstage tidbits and anecdotes from the few times him and Philippe Chéreau have been brought to the US (a few Manias, Summerslam and Rumbles in the last decade), gives you a peak to the backstage and mostly the WWE company from a very different point of view. I guess only @SirEdger around here can really make something about this info, but there you go.

Not familiar exactly with this situation with Chéreau since for us in Canada, French commentary was done by Raymond Rougeau and Jean Brassard - who then got axed for Chéreau & Agius.