Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/11 - 10/17 All Is Not Well in the House of Riddle

NintendoLogic

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People, both fans and wrestlers, are fighting over shoes, and like, this is so beyond my understanding, I don't even want to try and figure it out. I keep hearing about sneaker culture, but I am totally uninformed on the topic, but it seems to me like Dynamite being pre-empted from its usual mid-week slot got people really bored cuz there was nothing to talk/argue/discuss, and they just wanted to fight over something lol 

Also, potshots at opposing wrestlers and promotions are good and fun and one of the enjoyable parts of being in a wrestling war. They can be lame and unfunny but they are never problematic or something to avoid. Dorks who complain about it are weird imo. It's the best time to be a wrestling fan in 20 years, why do we care about wrestlers insulting each other. 

Funny part is it seemed obvious to me he was talking about the Bucks but everyone seemed to interpret it as a dig at Adam Cole? I don't follow enough sneakerheads to fully understand it I suppose. 

I get the heat is coming from someone like Top Dolla who, while cool and having all the potential in the world, has done approximately dick in the business so for him to be talking shit at top level guys is kind of eye rolling. Reminds me of a few years back in the NFL playoffs one of the Steelers' young defensive backs talked shit on Tom Brady, who of course made it his personal mission to target the kid and schooled the shit out of him. Around here the reaction was "you got balls kid, but that was kinda dumb". 

20 hours ago, sek69 said:

I get the heat is coming from someone like Top Dolla who, while cool and having all the potential in the world, has done approximately dick in the business so for him to be talking shit at top level guys is kind of eye rolling. Reminds me of a few years back in the NFL playoffs one of the Steelers' young defensive backs talked shit on Tom Brady, who of course made it his personal mission to target the kid and schooled the shit out of him. Around here the reaction was "you got balls kid, but that was kinda dumb". 

This comparison only goes so far, tho. Brady could directly play against the dude who was talking shit to him and show what's what.

Top Dolla and YB can use social media to talk trash (and the Jacksons can poke fun at the situation on AEW while TD is only going to use Twitter, really). Other than some fun banter, nothing is really going to come out of it. Unless they go out of their way to record videos comparing shoe sizes and shit, which would only make things bad for the Hit Row big guy.

If he wants to have a beef with Punk that's fine, and I get how what Punk said could ruffle his feathers, but "AEW babied by their fans" is rich considering he's the face of a company that treats their fans like they all have developmental disabilities.  Of course fans are going to be more receptive/nicer to a company that hasn't burned their trust or treated them like idiots. 

I read the entirety of the interview, and honestly when you read everything Reigns said in context it really does not come across all that bad or inflammatory. The only thing he says which I could see upsetting some people, is he takes shots at Punk’s failure in the UFC. Based on the headline I was expecting the actual transcription of what he said to be much worse than it was. And the way a lot of people are reacting to what he said almost kind of confirms what he is saying to a degree.

“I don’t see the real competition [with AEW] because I think their fan base legitimately is a hardcore fan base. So there’s like a ceiling and a built-in ground to that viewership…I think because they are the new kids on the block, they’re the cool kids in town I guess because of how premature and how novel it kind of still is, I think there still being babied by these hardcore wrestling fans. Which is fine. That’s great.

I don’t think anybody’s going to ever, especially from a performance standpoint say, ‘Oh no, there’s more opportunities out there? That sucks.’ So it’s not a bad thing. It’s a great thing for professional wrestling. It’s just a weird argument because there’s so much bias and there’s so much, ‘I’m on this side and I’m not gonna open my mind to the other side.’ And it goes both ways. 

As far as competition, not to me. There might be some other people on our roster who maybe think they need to dig deep and get better as a performer and what they do out there at the art form, but there’s nobody in the whole world, any other promotion, in WWE…I’m better at this art form than everybody else. And I stand on that. That’s the totality of it. I’m not just talking about, ‘Oh, his spots are so good and he counters real well.’ That stuff don’t mean anything to me. When you tally it all up, nobody touches me in this business.”

On CM Punk and if he’d ever want a match with him:

“So I answered a question similar to this a while ago, and it falls back to what our audience wants to see. If our audience wanted to see it and they were clamoring for it, couldn’t shut up about it, and all the stars aligned, as a businessman and as a performer who was trying to seek out the very best for the audience and try to captivate, I wouldn’t say no. But I mean, on a personal level, it doesn’t do anything for me. That’s not going to elevate me at all. He’s older now. I haven’t really seen a full match. I’ve seen a clip or two. And to me, a step or two has been lost. Then also he got his whooped in the UFC. I don’t think anybody really believes someone 200 pounds soaking wet with no explosive bone in their body could ever really do anything to me. I’m 6’3”, 265 pounds, a legitimate athlete who can throw some weight around and has been on the gridiron at the highest level. D1. All ACC. I probably would’ve maintained in the NFL if my health issues didn’t happen when I was 22 years old. So, I mean, when it comes down to it, I’ll throw him and pretty much the rest of that roster out the club no problem. They’re just little brothers, you know?”

It's just a telling look at how WWE's thinking is, that he's better than Punk because he's physically bigger and has a football background, as if either of those means jack shit in the world of wrestling. It's 100% what Vince wants of course, but it's not what most fans want. 

There was another story out how inside WWE the talk is "Tony Khan is losing money just to run against us" and "we beat Ted Turner and Ted is smarter than Tony" as if he's just another dumb money mark. Also Ted didn't have anything to do with running the actual company and just cut the checks (which was kind of the problem with WCW in the first place) and his extent of wrestling knowledge was "this show helped build my network so I have a soft spot in my heart for them". 

The "It's great for professional wrestling" is pretty rich when you're playing corporate lapdog for the company that has tried every tactics (and still do) in the book for AEW not to exist. :lol: 

His stuff about CM Punk is hilarious too. "If our audience want to see it and were clamoring for it"... Wait, what ? I guess he never heard those CM Punk chants for years when he was in the ring and while people left Mania while he was main-eventing against the same guy he'll meet at Blood Money... Sure, if CM Punk had come back to WWE, the fans would not clamor for that match at all. And I mean, I wonder what he would say then considering it's obvious Punk would have received the exact insane pop, one Roman has never and will never get. Ponder that one for a second or two...

The whole interview reeks of insecurity and pettiness, which is kinda ironic when you speak from a position of privilege (let's get real, Roman got everything handed to him, much like Randy Orton before him, and for the same reasons, and he's working for the Coca-Cola of the industry basically).

The interview with Reigns does seem to be partly in character, but I also don't think it's that surprising that he's not a big CM Punk fan. That "keep Roman strong" shit followed him round for years, even though Reigns ending up as comfortably the best all-round talent in the Shield proved that it was the right thing to do, so taking a few pot shots back doesn't seem unfair 

Roman doesn't say anything about Punk unless specifically asked, but he lets it rip when that happens. Roman doesn't like him, and probably never will. The history is out there for anyone who wants to review it again. Disagree with him if that's your take, but Roman has his feelings and to me, they're understandable. 

Even now, those who claim to like Roman over the past year turn against him quickly the couple of times he's mentioned Punk. So why bother trying to play nice to that guy and his fanbase? Especially if your take is he got everything handed to him and did nothing to deserve his standing.

Roman's interviews over the past year have been in semi-kayfabe. The bigger/stronger bit was pretty much in that context. And Punk looked awful in his two UFC fights. Roman probably relished getting in that dig. :lol:

2 hours ago, strobogo said:

In character or not, he told no lies about punk.

Yeah but going on about your REAL SPORTZ bonafides in the context of pro wrestling makes him kind of look like a mark. The Rock didn't become the biggest star in the business because he was on the Miami Hurricanes football team.